OTBT’s BJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

stevebradford

In the shop
Threads
@OTBT we should talk about your motor problems either at the meet up this week or my place before you spend a ton of money. I might have some 3b options.
864EB8BD-DB16-419A-8CC4-8C0DAF8A9679.jpeg

Hi Steve - Thanks for putting this thread together :rofl:

It's pretty well too late - I have today ordered up a short block B from Amayama, along with a bunch of miscellaneous bits & pieces - they should be here before the end of the month. Even though I haven't yet taken the engine out of the truck, I have been down this road so often that I know I will need a new crank, bearings, possibly rod(s) and / or possibly a block. This is a real shame, because the current block has new sleeves, pistons, rods, cam bearings etc.

I will have a lot of surplus stuff to give away should anyone be interested ... I don't yet know what that stuff will be, but ... :santa:

Hi Steve - Thanks for putting this thread together :rofl:

It's pretty well too late - I have today ordered up a short block B from Amayama, along with a bunch of miscellaneous bits & pieces - they should be here before the end of the month. Even though I haven't yet taken the engine out of the truck, I have been down this road so often that I know I will need a new crank, bearings, possibly rod(s) and / or possibly a block. This is a real shame, because the current block has new sleeves, pistons, rods, cam bearings etc.

I will have a lot of surplus stuff to give away should anyone be interested ... I don't yet know what that stuff will be, but ... :santa:

Did Amayama confirm they have stock? I've ordered hard to find stuff from them before only to be told they actually didn't have it in stock. :(

I was looking at a VDJ79 for a bit in Australia that was very well priced, and mint except for a ruined motor. So I looked up what a brand new short block cost for the 1VDFTV motor. I was actually less expensive than I thought it would be; but by the time I had it figured out, the truck had sold anyhow. $5600 USD:
1140051030.jpg

Did Amayama confirm they have stock? I've ordered hard to find stuff from them before only to be told they actually didn't have it in stock. :(

I have found that when Amayama quotes a price and delivery date, it is generally in stock - but you never know. Megazip also claims to have a B short block, too, but for significantly more bucks,

Megazip is more expensive - in Japan. But they warehouse in UAE now, and those prices are
cheaper. But generally Amayama is a less expensive choice

You were right, Amayama cannot supply the B short block.

I did find a dead 3B in Delta that I might be able to fix (water in Number 1) but I don't know about compatibility issues with engine mounts, bell housings, transmission, etc. Does anybody have experience swapping out a B for a 3B ?

See you all this evening ... Glenn

You were right, Amayama cannot supply the B short block.

I did find a dead 3B in Delta that I might be able to fix (water in Number 1) but I don't know about compatibility issues with engine mounts, bell housings, transmission, etc. Does anybody have experience swapping out a B for a 3B ?

See you all this evening ... Glenn

Talk to Steve tonight. I think he has some good ideas to help you out.

3b will drop right in. If you feel like dropping by my place sometime I can show you a wrecked 1978 BJ40 that’s had a 3b swapped in.

Only hiccup is aluminum vs cast iron bellhousing, where the starters are a little different, but that's only if you found a much newer 3b. 85 maybe?

All the s*** from your B will swap right over even if you did hit that snag tho so it's not a big deal.

The 85's are arguably a bit better so it's worth it if you found one. 5 bearing cam is the biggest difference I think?

You definitely need to take some beer over to Steve's place and go shopping :lol:

Last edited:
Only hiccup is aluminum vs cast iron bellhousing, where the starters are a little different, but that's only if you found a much newer 3b. 85 maybe?

All the s*** from your B will swap right over even if you did hit that snag tho so it's not a big deal.

The 85's are arguably a bit better so it's worth it if you found one. 5 bearing cam is the biggest difference I think?

You definitely need to take some beer over to Steve's place and go shopping :lol:
I believe the one in Delta is an 81; my BJ40 is a 1978

EC25C14F-5B58-4250-83F7-6776F69F430D.jpeg
0BB5CB80-CD2B-48D8-B713-84D7A297B049.jpeg

A couple more. It was good times, Cannibal cruisers. I had to rush off to work to rescue people after that massive power outage in Victoria managed to squeeze in a 8 hour overtime work day as well!
E0C9C288-1371-4649-A4EE-3E409EB6E853.jpeg

Yes, I have a motor & tranny & transfer case. I took the pan off this morning and there is a small amount of oily water. The rockers have some surface rust, and the engine only turns half-way around - I'm not sure why, yet. Lots of wire wheeling & brake cleaner, but I think I will have a brand new 3B when all is said and done.

From my one and only 3b engine rebuild, I would source a new cam and lifters, maybe have the rockers inspected and ground smooth if needed. I believe most of the low compression 3b engines I have compression tested was due to the cam being nearly rounded off, the cylinders were still mint on the one I am currently rebuilding along with the pistons. Rod bearings mint while the cam bearings were in bad shape.

It looks like some water got into number 3 for there was a bit of rust preventing the piston from full travel - a couple of squirts of WD40 fixed that issue; otherwise the cam lobes look really good, the crank looks really good, everything looks good - just really dirty. I have some new liners pistons, bearings etc coming from 4 wheel auto so things should be good to go fairly soon.

I suppose rat pee is pretty corrosive ... my whole garage smells like rats and they give me the heebie-jeebies.

It looks like the 3B cam is identical to the B cam - did someone say they needed a cam ?