OTBT’s BJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally - I can give everyone an update.

Starting with two 3B's I have managed to cobble together one that will basically be a brand new engine. Although it took forever and lots of bucks, Wilson & Proctor pressed out the old sleeves and pressed in new ones (and custom bored the liners for the new pistons). They also boiled the block and cleaned out all the oil galleries and put in new cam bearings. Wilson & Proctor also overhauled the injection pump so it is pretty well brand new and good for another million km.

Over the last couple of months I have completely overhauled the head, including lapping the valves and replacing all the seals. My biggest stumbling block has been (and still is) sourcing all the f**king frost plugs. I finally ordered the last 4 tonight (13mm) from some obscure tractor company in the states. They are to fit the 0.499" holes in the head just below the exhaust manifold:
Frost Plug (13mm).jpg

Hooray ! Holy Sh*t !

I now have a brand new 3B in my BJ40 -

She purrs like a kitten, no smoke, no leaks ... perfect fit with the original tranny & transfer case. The engine mounts were perfectly lined up ... man o man this really took a lot of effort !

Here is what it looks like:

engine left.jpg

engine right.jpg

OTBT Front.jpg

Wow!! Glad to see it back together! I look forward to seeing in person. Nice work. Is that a rebuilt 3B, or did you get your hands on a brand new long block?

Wow!! Glad to see it back together! I look forward to seeing in person. Nice work. Is that a rebuilt 3B, or did you get your hands on a brand new long block?
It is cobbled together from two old 3B's - one from Steve and one from the lower mainland - new sleeves/pistons/lifters/oil pump/ .... you name it. So everything that was not within tolerance was replaced with brand new stuff. I have all kinds of spare bits & pieces up for grabs if anyone wants anything, just ask :oops: