Opinions sought (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mntoyx4.com
Looking for some thoughts / opinions about swapping an SM465 into My FJ60. Currently I'm running 33's with 4.11's and a stock 2F. I plan on purchasing 35's next spring, and while I look forward to again having an overdrive (due to 35's) my gearing will once again suffer. I may be able to get a deal on the tranny and adaptors.

This is my Daily Driver, but I am willing to live with some uncomforts (is that a word? :D ). What is the differance in drivetrain length (I have the late tranny/transfer with the spacer). I'm curious if driveshaft mod's will be necessary.

Hey Mark,

I have a 465 in my 60! For trail use, it kicks serious ass, but for dual duty, its gonna suck. Basically, what you have is a 3-speed tranny, and the ratios are so damn far away that you have to wind it out to 3200 rpm each gear change to make good forward progress... I have EFI which has helped power with my 2F, also... A TBI 350 would be liveable, as there is plenty of torque at 1200 rpm to pull you up to speed.

I think the ToyBox would be the ideal solution... Keep your stock tranny and tcase, and add about 6 or so inches... The SM465-split case adapter is 5 inches...

Is it safe to think that you have spoken with Todd Haug? (Fergus on the MN boared) He has been running a 465 in his 60 since he purchased it in '98. He drives that truck every day, and loves it.

He would be a very good source for info on this, and would probably let you spend some time behind the wheel in it.

Good luck!

-Steve

You should go for the toyota 5speed if you can.

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=7339;start=msg61531#msg61531 date=1068525562]
Is it safe to think that you have spoken with Todd Haug? (Fergus on the MN boared) He has been running a 465 in his 60 since he purchased it in '98. He drives that truck every day, and loves it.

He would be a very good source for info on this, and would probably let you spend some time behind the wheel in it.

Good luck!

-Steve
[/quote]

Yes, he mentioned to me that he has a tranny/adaptor that he might sell. That's what initiated this.

Very little money in the budget this year, so a toybox is out, as is a 5 speed, tho I would love the option.

I'm guessing Todd's truck wouldn't be apples to apples to mine, with his 350 and overdrive and all, but thanks for the thought. I talked to him a little about this, I might just have to pick his brain a little more. I still can't believe that he drives that thing daily. He doesn't do a whole lot of driving, but jeez, I can't imagine that 38.5" SX's are a joy on the road everyday to work. He doesn't seem to mind.

[quote author=reorx link=board=1;threadid=7339;start=msg61526#msg61526 date=1068524861]
Hey Mark,

I have a 465 in my 60! For trail use, it kicks serious ass, but for dual duty, its gonna suck. Basically, what you have is a 3-speed tranny, and the ratios are so damn far away that you have to wind it out to 3200 rpm each gear change to make good forward progress... I have EFI which has helped power with my 2F, also... A TBI 350 would be liveable, as there is plenty of torque at 1200 rpm to pull you up to speed.

I think the ToyBox would be the ideal solution... Keep your stock tranny and tcase, and add about 6 or so inches... The SM465-split case adapter is 5 inches...

[/quote]

I was hoping you would chime in. We met at the BHCC, I rode with Doug in the gold 4 runner.

I'm hoping to find another daily driver next year, so I might just keep hope alive. I really hate having to drive my 60 in the winter. The salt here just eat's cruisers alive. I'm already gonna have to spend some time next spring learning body work and patching sheet metal, so I'm not looking forward to another winter.

Hey Mark,

I recognized your name from the PBB... How're things up there? Prolly getting cold...

To remain on topic... Yeah, he probably loved the SM465 with his 350... It makes a huge difference, because a SBC will rev past 3k rpm no sweat (and sound bad ass doing it), whereas a 2F huffs and puffs at that RPM, sounding like an onery old tractor motor... :D

If I had a ranger splitter, then I could do a 350 swap, but I can't move my transmission any further forward than I already have it, and that'd put a V8 nearly behind the front axle!!! :doh:

You going to Cruise Moab next year? I think I'm getting to go sans family (oldest will still be in school), but its gonna be a hellova long drive...

Alas no :'(

I'm working 2 jobs to support myself and my wife while she goes to graduate school. Money's is tight and time is even more. Mabye the year after that.

Thanks for the advice.

I just know that when i go to 35's, my gearing is going to suck again, so I was looking for an inexpensive way to gear back down. I have a couple of extra diffs, so I may just try my hand at doing a ring and pinion swap myself.

Then again mabye I'll skip the 35's and do some other work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom