Opinions on my wheel options. (1 Viewer)

What should I do about my wheels?

• Paint the rest and save the money. Buy tires sooner.

Votes: 25 92.6%
  • Wait until the tires wear out and buy a complete tire and wheel package.

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jlm43

SILVER Star
Threads
I have been eyeballing the ATX Chamber Teflon rims for quite some time now. Seeing as money isn't spilling out of my butt, I thought I would try a different approach. My rims have quite a bit of corrosion on them from 13 years of having balance weights on the outside and I am trying to find a cheaper alternative. So I bought some black metallic rattle can paint from the Depot and painted my spare. What do you guys think?
P5260114.jpg
P5260115.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. I've always been of the opinion that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. For me, there are other pm that I need to get out of the way before I spend a lot of $ on wheels and tires. Of course, new wheels and tires would be awesome but it's not at the top of my list. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Looks good. That is my plan... one of these days. Lol.

I used duplicolor wheel paint graphite color. In the first pic you can not tell it but the wheels are eat up from dirt and wheel weights from over the years..

before paint
CIMG4158.jpg

after paint and no regrets:
CIMG4195.jpg

Paint'em

I don't have a pic handy but that is what I did I painted them and love it. I have had many people ask me what kind of rims they are. I just need to buy the tires now

Paint! :)
I (like many others) used Duplicolor WP102 "Graphite".
Just remember to do the prep-work. (strip, sand, clean, then paint...)

IMG_3966.jpg

another vote for keeping the oem wheels. They are strong high quality forged aluminum wheels and they are a perfect fit for the vehicle they were specifically design for the 80. It would most likely end up costing you somewhere around $300 per wheel if you were to replace the OEM wheels with an aftermarket forged wheel of similar quality.

Thanks for the pics. I may have to look into the Duplicolor WP102 "Graphite" paint. I used a metallic black Rust-o-leum paint from HD. If the graphite color is a little lighter, i may use that. Should match the lower half of the LX better.

3 R's

Remove, Renew, Re-install.....:cool:

Clean............

keep and paint with the graphite, will match your 2-tone color.

Do yall think it is pretty likely that when I have new tires put on the paint will get scrathed off the lip of the wheels during the installation? Im trying to decide on painthing the wheels with the tires on or off.

Lots of guys seem to like the duplicolor graphite, but has anyone done their wheels with the duplicolor silver? I bought the silver, so i hope they turn out ok. Any pics with silver OEM's would me appreciated!

x2 on prep work.

Plan to spend about 80% of working time on preparing the wheel for paint, 20% of working time to actually painting ( i would put a minimum of 4 light coats on top of adhesion promoter for wheels)

Paint! :)
I (like many others) used Duplicolor WP102 "Graphite".
Just remember to do the prep-work. (strip, sand, clean, then paint...)

IMG_3966.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom