Events/Trails Open Invite Throw-down on Rug Road 1/11 - 1/12 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well folks, it is time I run Rug Road again. The first time, I lost my knuckle nuts and limped home. The second time, I beat the hell outta my 4Runner and limped home with a misalignment and a serious unbalanced set of wheels. This time, I'll be bringing the rebuilt Cruisa for a rematch. Let's get it on! This one is a bit different. 2 of the guys in my office ran it with me last time and we thought it would be a fun challenge to run it from the Mammoth side to Turkey Creek, camp, then come back up to the Mammoth side the next day. So a 2 day out and back it will be.

This is an open invite type thing seeing as my co-workers are in a Rubicon and an F250. This is one of my favorite trails and camps, so I had to offer it up to all. When I last ran it, it was super knarly and way more washed out than when we did it in 2018. Should be fun! If you aren't up for quite that much fun, you can always head off from Turkey Creek and skip the Sunday trail time.

Let me know if there is interest, and I will plan it out.

Jason, one of my favorite trail in AZ! Always a great run

That looks like an awesome run from what I can see from google maps. I've been wanting to get out into the Aravaipa Canyon area for a while now.

How long ago was the last time you ran it?

How long ago was the last time you ran it?
I last ran it in March or April time frame. Ben did it in his 100 and was a good bit more careful than I was. He faired better as a result. @D_Web what are your thoughts on the trail then?

I’m interested in joining. Looks like this falls on Thanksgiving weekend and I usually have family in town, so will have to plan accordingly. Otherwise, this would be fun. Curious if other local CSCr’s like @yotadude520 would be interested?

Definite maybe on this one the only thing holding me back is what the boss has planned. But the 40 is ready to go now

Might want to change the dates to 11/30 & 12/1.

I'm interested in camping, curious about trail difficulty though. I'm tentative since it's Thanksgiving weekend.

Might want to change the dates to 11/30 & 12/1.

I'm interested in camping, curious about trail difficulty though. I'm tentative since it's Thanksgiving weekend.
Thanks Richard.

I’m interested in joining. Looks like this falls on Thanksgiving weekend and I usually have family in town, so will have to plan accordingly. Otherwise, this would be fun. Curious if other local CSCr’s like @yotadude520 would be interested?

I'm thinking about going, it would be a fun run. Obviously the dates could be an issue but would like to go. @ARJMN how difficult is this trail? I've heard there's a few spots that are pretty gnarly with some serious drop offs.

I'm thinking about going, it would be a fun run. Obviously the dates could be an issue but would like to go. @ARJMN how difficult is this trail? I've heard there's a few spots that are pretty gnarly with some serious drop offs.
It is an awesome trail that was at the limit of what I could safely do in a 4Runner with 2" lift and 31s. A bone stock Rubicon made it, as did a LWB F250 on 6" lift and 37s. So while it does indeed have some pretty knarly sections with some rock rail smacking benches, it can be negotiated with good judgement and a lot of careful wheel placement. 33s or bigger should be ok. Carpet Hill is probably the toughest section of the run, and it is one lane and tight in areas so there are not a ton of lines.

If you are not sure, join in for the first day coming down the hills. It is going to be coming up that is the real challenge.

It is an awesome trail that was at the limit of what I could safely do in a 4Runner with 2" lift and 31s. A bone stock Rubicon made it, as did a LWB F250 on 6" lift and 37s. So while it does indeed have some pretty knarly sections with some rock rail smacking benches, it can be negotiated with good judgement and a lot of careful wheel placement. 33s or bigger should be ok. Carpet Hill is probably the toughest section of the run, and it is one lane and tight in areas so there are not a ton of lines.

If you are not sure, join in for the first day coming down the hills. It is going to be coming up that is the real challenge.

Sounds like every trail we do right? :hillbilly:

Let's talk about it at the next monthly meeting - you going? Plus we need to swap rigs for a sec, I'm dying to feel that FZJ80 with the V8.

Sounds like every trail we do right? :hillbilly:

Let's talk about it at the next monthly meeting - you going? Plus we need to swap rigs for a sec, I'm dying to feel that FZJ80 with the V8.

Sure man, it's running better than ever, but I have GOT to rebuild the brakes and make it stop worth a flip. See you there.

Well folks, it is time I run Rug Road again. The first time, I lost my knuckle nuts and limped home. The second time, I beat the hell outta my 4Runner and limped home with a misalignment and a serious unbalanced set of wheels. This time, I'll be bringing the rebuilt Cruisa for a rematch. Let's get it on! This one is a bit different. 2 of the guys in my office ran it with me last time and we thought it would be a fun challenge to run it from the Mammoth side to Turkey Creek, camp, then come back up to the Mammoth side the next day. So a 2 day out and back it will be.

This is an open invite type thing seeing as my co-workers are in a Rubicon and an F250. This is one of my favorite trails and camps, so I had to offer it up to all. When I last ran it, it was super knarly and way more washed out than when we did it in 2018. Should be fun! If you aren't up for quite that much fun, you can always head off from Turkey Creek and skip the Sunday trail time.

Let me know if there is interest, and I will plan it out.
I'm interested in this run.

I am really wanting to do this, however I'm a little trigger shy after doing Tortola pass and getting hung up on a leaf spring perch and getting two flats. But having said that I have bigger tires now (31*10.5/15). But I also don't want to tear up my 40 and I can only do Saturday.

You can always do the Saturday run and then circle around on the road. Iia a rough SOB and I see the value in preserving your 40. I went wheeling yesterday and have a transfer case to rebuild and a shifter cable to re mount. Was fun, and a good shake down before Rug Road.

You can always do the Saturday run and then circle around on the road. Iia a rough SOB and I see the value in preserving your 40. I went wheeling yesterday and have a transfer case to rebuild and a shifter cable to re mount. Was fun, and a good shake down before Rug Road.
I have a LX 470 with 33" tires and rock sliders, AHC. Is this doable with this setup?

I have a LX 470 with 33" tires and rock sliders, AHC. Is this doable with this setup?
Yeah, you should be good. Just use caution and you will make it down. Gauge your comfort on coming back up Sunday.

OK, so I am going to have to be "that guy" here. Some late notice changing of plans has family coming to Tucson for Thanksgiving and will have me in a tough spot of being and A-hole by saying see you guys...going wheeling and camping for the weekend.

Can we push this back? I can make it a full ROTM if needed. I am still 100% juiced up for it, just can't do it this weekend anymore. Let me know who's interested and I'll make it all happen.

Sorry, thanks, and yeah I know......................................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom