One problem always brings another (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dianna

SILVER Star
Threads
So I tried to take off the air cleaner cover (to get a closer look at my choke from previous post) and... I know i should have checked the air cleaner this when i bought my cruiser this past summer :-[... anyway, the cover would not come off. I then noticed that it appears as though it is sealed to the carb with silicone. Was someone too lazy to buy a gasket or something? Now I'm afraid when i pull it apart i'll get bits of silicone in the carb. Now what??? :-\

Take it apart, the silicone that you get in the engine, provided that it is not a piece the size of your hand, *should* not cause any problems.

Depending on difficulty of material and accessability, I'd try using an exacto blade and a vacuum right next to where your cutting. If that doesn't work, try spinning the filter round one way then the other, this will help loosen the silicone, and minimize the intake of debris. Use the vacuum as best you can. Then just deal with the dust and dirt as best as possible. Another option would be to cut the filter in a vertical line through the steel mesh and paper. This way you could peel it back away from the opening in the carb. Then vacuum out the bore and use a low pressure air gun to blow out the remaining debris.

[quote author=Archengine Another option would be to cut the filter in a vertical line through the steel mesh and paper. This way you could peel it back away from the opening in the carb. Then vacuum out the bore and use a low pressure air gun to blow out the remaining debris.

Um...

huh? ???

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=8333;start=msg70461#msg70461 date=1070421615]
Um...

huh? ???
[/quote]
I won't speak for him, but I think archengine meant if the actual filter was siliconed down and it was like a 350 filter mounted on top of the carb ?
???

thanks for the responses, using a vacuum sounds like a great idea but i was a little confused with the cutting the air filter... glad i wasn't alone! I have the original set up, no Weber... so there is supposed to be a gasket between the air cleaner housing and the carb then, correct?

My error. In haste I was picturing my weber filter and most all other filters, as I've not had the factory assembly on their in 8 years. That wouldn't work well without a sawzall....lol.

you could always stuff a sock or shop rag in the carb openings. That should keep crap out while you excavate the filter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom