One Key for everything (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This old timer I met from Canada had a 78 FJ40 with one key for the ignition, front doors, amby doors, and 2 fuel doors. He said thats the way he bought it. They looked like factory locks and key. WTF??

Anyone know how this is done?

That's a total of 6 locks. Can you buy the mechanisms to match? If so where?

I liked the 2 matching fuel doors he had. My PO made a mess putting in the second fuel fill.

Could've been a Canadian trick. Sneeky fawkers!! :flipoff2: ;)

My mustard 82 fj40 had the gas tank cover rekeyed by the PO(someone busted the lock), so its not the same as the side doors or the ingnition, my Toyota parts guy cut me one key, both sides are different, one side opens the doors and ign, flip it over to open the tank. The rear doors use a cylinder(and little key) like a pre 75 fj40 side doors, don't think you could put a 75+ cyl in there.

Might check with a locksmith.....they can do some tricky stuff.

I've heard of the 2 sided key trick.

Now I'm thinkin about the fuel door from my Tacoma. I saw that guy in a gas station and I don't think he used the key when he closed the fuel door.

That means it was probably a newer lock, right?

I don't need a key to close my fj60.....but I do on the 82 fj40's

Take it to your locksmith...

We take different lock cylinders down all the time and have them mathc the sets.. its actually pretty cheap. Now that the complete sets are no longer available from Toyota, its the only option...

Also, if the locksmith can convert the 4 digit Toyota code stamped on your lock cylinder... email me with your #, I have all the cutting books, tools, and blanks to mathc old keys...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom