On-Road Snow Tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to buy some 285/75/16 for on-road driving with winter trips up to Tahoe to enjoy the snow. What's the best tires? Thanks

I second that - 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratrac:

FJ80_09JUN13_zpsbf2f250d.jpg

:cheers:

The goodyear duratrac is a good all-season for snow, but it's still an all season. A dedicated snow/ice tire will give you better traction. I've never had Snow tires on my 80, but I had a snow tire by General tire on my subaru for a couple of winters. They performed great, and lasted 3 seasons before they were too worn.

We just gave our Goodyears to my Dad in Boulder. Great tires in snow and for summer too. We picked up a set of Nokian Hakkappellita(sp) with studs, and wow, what a difference for snow driving. Particularly at intersections and parking lots, stop and go situations. Driving snow packed roads, roads so slick its hard to walk on them, is a non event.
I won't go without a dedicated set of snow tires again, but we live in the snow.
Our other 80 has GoodYear silentarmors with the snowflake symbol on them, another great year round tire if you logging mostly highway miles.

I think they may have updated the Silent Armor tire and now call it Adventure. The SnowFlake(severe rating) only come on the LT versions. The size your looking at is an LT.

If you are getting a tire just for winter and snow its hard to beat the Nokian's hands down the best snow tires I have ever had.

I have Duratrac's on my 80 and they are good in the snow but put them up against the Nokian's and they pail in comparison.

If they are to be a dedicated on road snow tire go narrower, a 285 will spread the weight out and reduce PSI on the ice/snow that you want on compact snow and ice. A 235/85 would work well and still a 32" tall tire.

I have Cooper A/T 3's (265/75/16) on my 80 & live in the snow by Tahoe, they do great, never been stuck, they are fairly quiet & handle great. Good tire for the $.

The goodyear duratrac is a good all-season for snow, but it's still an all season. A dedicated snow/ice tire will give you better traction. I've never had Snow tires on my 80, but I had a snow tire by General tire on my subaru for a couple of winters. They performed great, and lasted 3 seasons before they were too worn.

They are an all terrain, I believe all season is what you call passenger car tires. They are also studded for # 16 snow studs if you need more traction.

I've had good luck with BFG AT KO's, had em on my 60 series, our 06 sequoia, and before that a 3/4 ton dodge cummins and 2 chevy tahoes. You get snowflake designation, which in Oregon is a recognized traction device. Always got good mileage out of em to. I'ld go mt rose or kingsbury with the bfg's with no worries. Can't wait to wear out the toyo AT's on our 100, so we can have BFG's again.;)

I'm about to buy some 285/75/16 for on-road driving with winter trips up to Tahoe to enjoy the snow. What's the best tires? Thanks

https://forum.ih8mud.com/tire-wheel-tech/348421-yokohama-geolandar-i-t-thoughts-review-ish.html

I suspect that the Duratrac's would work better in slushy snow that is more like mud due to their side lugs and wider lug spacing. For cold hard pack snow I'd take a dedicated winter tire. The yoko's come in both a 285 and 315 as well. Ride nice, very quiet. DTD has them on sale for 174 which is about what I paid 3 years ago, so not too bad at all.

Whether you go dedicated winter tire or just a good performing A/T I guess is determined by both finances and your location/use. I run winter tires from Nov-April in Colorado, but its typically cold enough at any elevation to not eat through the soft rubber on pavement.

Last edited:
I have had many sets of BFG AT KOs. Also had 1 set of Duratracs. IMO the BFGs are way better on compact snow/ice and still great in deep snow too. I was not impressed with the Duratracs on my 100, went back to BFGs on my 80. Also, a HUGE factor is siping. I get my BFGs siped and it makes them waaaaay better on the hard snow and ice.

I had a set of tread wright retreads in a BFG all terrain like pattern on my Chevy Tahoe in a 285, and they worked great, very good tread-where and good manners on the road. The price is hard to beat, worth looking at IMO.

Who makes 35" snow tires, besides Yokohama IT in 315/75-16. Do I stud some duratracs? Not impressed with BFG AT tires, I had them and didn't like them. Running my KM/2 in snow and ice are not that fun.

Like LC Wnnabe says sipe center block of AT KO's and you have a great snow, packed snow, and some what ice tire. IMHO without going to studs, it's a good bet. Don't sipe shoulders they can chunk when you get in the rocks next season.:cheers:

I just got a set of 265/75 R16 General Altimax Artics for $106ea from tirerack. I will post up my thoughts later in the season - but I thought it was a pretty good deal.

Duratracs, I went wheeling in the snow up inclines and they worked like a champ. Rated 10 in the snow. Sidewalls are not a beefy as they should be but no issues rock wheeling yet.

You will never come close to what a dedicated snow tire will do with an AT, ANY AT. Snow tires have not only a significant amount of siping but different compounds that are softer and have significantly better traction on snow and ice, even without studs.

If you are looking for a dedicated seasonal tire for driving on snow, stick with a snow tire, there are several makes available in 285s for you to choose from. If you will be looking for a dual purpose then a siped AT is the way to go, try softer compounds though with smaller tread blocks.

My brother used to swear the GY duratracs were great, that is until he blew two tires on a recent outing in the span of three days. It should be noted he was desperate for spares and picked up two firestone AT'S as well and blew those in three days on the rocks and mud. Never had a problem with the Goodrich's though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom