on board air (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went over this awhile ago with people on pirate and Co4x4 and people seemed a bit to bothered by it. Personally sounds like a great idea.

you don't have to worry about it freezing up
you can store it at any angle
Not affected by temps

They however are at hi-pressure...pro's and con's for both I guess

From what I understand, Nitrogen as a gas is better for your tools and tires and can be run without problems of freezing the regulator but an equivalent size CO2 tank can hold 4-5 times the capacity.

Wouldn't be worried about high pressure, I wear a 4500 psi bottle strapped to my back daily in many no so friendly environments.

i agree with evry one it is a great system. the gas is inert so no pressure change becouse of heat. no water. clean. the main thing i was pointing out is the good price and kit. N.A.S.A uses nitrogen in the shuttle tires so it cant be bad.

trojan_knight said:
i agree with evry one it is a great system. the gas is inert so no pressure change becouse of heat. no water. clean. the main thing i was pointing out is the good price and kit. N.A.S.A uses nitrogen in the shuttle tires so it cant be bad.

Yeah, NASA has such a great track record and all:rolleyes:...

Spot,

I have had a CO2 tank blow the safety and discharge in the cargo area of my 80. What would a N2 tank do in the same circumstance?

-B-

well our atmospher is 72% nitrogen so it takes one hell of a lot to asphyxiate. when a 40 cu. ft. tank is full at about 2000 psi there is a lot more gas in that tank than co2 at a few hundred psi.

and n2 in a normal tank is at room temperature and a few thousand psi where as liquid n2 is only a few hundred psi and constantly venting so n2 will evaporate thus cooling the whole thing keeping it liquid. it is not pressure that keeps it liquid.
remeber the basic laws: compress a gas it gets hot like a turbo. decrompress a gas it cools. evaporation also cools where as condesation heats.

i guess all that work at colorado school of mines for my docterate was worth it

Last edited:
Trojan, you are confused regarding the relative volume of gas derived from a tank of liquid CO2 vs same volume of high pressure compressed nitrogen gas.

The "tire inflation" volume from an equivalent size liquid CO2 tank is going to be substantially more than that from the nitrogen tank. That is why liquid CO2 (btw, at higher pressures than a few hundred psi at normal hot vehicle interior temps) is used for on board air as opposed to compressed nitrogen.

Last edited:
trojan_knight said:
... it is not pressure that keeps it liquid.

Are you sure about this?

-B-

spotcruiser said:
While liquid nitrogen can be handled safely by trained individuals....

I assumed the N2 was gas not liquid. :confused:

Paintball guys would know N2 tank pressures. Someone could spy on their forum...

FJBen said:
you don't have to worry about it freezing up
you can store it at any angle
Not affected by temps

So can you not store CO2 horizontally?

Typical CO2 tanks can be stored horizontally but it should be near vertical when you dispense for our type of use.

Just a side note
Costco here in Tucson now uses nitrogen to fill tires in their tire shop.

MaddBaggins said:
Just a side note
Costco here in Tucson now uses nitrogen to fill tires in their tire shop.

Yes, here in Monterey as well...only problem is those stupid little green valve stem caps on everyones tires around here.

They've gotta go...:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom