On Board Air Compressor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is anyone running a CCI/York air compressor, or other type belt driven compressor? I know this will crank more air than an ARB, but not sure if there is enough room to mount one succesfuly and without to many headaches.

I thought of doing this but I don't want to lose my AC. I figured I could run a second AC compressor but you need a belt to turn it. Not sure if there is any room to do this.
Also it is not a good idea to use the ARB compressor to do other things other than the lockers. You will destroy it for sure.

DRT - if you're on the 80's intl list, you can search for some posts from Scott Simmons, or if you're on the LCML list search for Lance Williams. They both have the same setup which is engine driven air from a s/c pulley. &nbsp:Don't know much about it as it's over my head, but it puts out a ton of air as I've witnessed. I'll be at Lance's over the weekend and will try to get some pics.

Researched it extensively for my 40, and as soon as oil pressure and brakes are resolved it's next. The hardest part is getting one mounted. After that its all cake. The best Yorks to use come out of 80-83 volvo station wagons and sedans, 10cfm, upwards of 300 psi (comparable to most portable shop compressors). I can't help you with mounting it :dunno:, but if you figure that out, I can help with the rest.

Have you thought about using CO2 as an air source? It is a good alternative.

Wrench,
CO2 is awesome for most of the time, but the limited quanity sometimes
liebe083.gif

I have 2 10lb CO2 tanks onboard with my 80 and a 50lb mounted in the new event trailer :flipoff2: :flipoff2: . Still, if doing long trips like photoman or expeditions, this would be the route to go - with both being preferred. You could always use a tank with the ARB (which has it's own mini tank built in) in an emergency, but some guys like photoman don't always have the option of calling timeout and strolling on down to the
grinning-smiley-039.gif
. If I didn't have the blower on, I'd have both engine driven air and the C02. As it is, I'm about to mount yet another compressor and 3rd battery in my rig. :flipoff2:

I've got one of those alum. oxygen tanks that I am going to mount under the rig somewhere. I was going to run a compressor but I could load it with CO2 or I have heard people running nitrogen? The tank is good for 3200 PSI. I wonder how many fill ups on CO2 that is? Anyone know? ???

Yeah-

My first thought was to install an ARB with a tank, but then thought if I'm going to do it why not put in a large enough compressor, I wouldn't need a tank.

There is amble room in on the left side of the engine compartment, below and in front of the air filter box. My biggest apprehension is the pully, an earlier post suggest a s/c pully may work? I certianly want to keep my ac.

bmt and drt.
as to the co2 question the 3200 cf rating in the nitrogen or oxygen bottle means jack with co2. co2 is actually loaded into the cylinder as a liquid and then expands to gas as more room for expansion becomes available. personally I have a 10 pound co2 tank mainly for airing up but I also mount it in the back of my truck in a modified fire extinguisher bracket. I would advise against mounting an aluminum co2 tank under your truck due to heat issues affecting the pressure of the liquid in the tank.
just my thoughts but for the record I used to work at a welding supply shop and pumped co2 when needed fun stuff for airing up and all but not the solution to running tools and such. check out george scolaros site in the tech section for his location of a compressor next to the trans case best solution in my opinion.
Dave :beer:

Yeah-

My first thought was to install an ARB with a tank, but then thought if I'm going to do it why not put in a large enough compressor, I wouldn't need a tank.I certianly want to keep my ac.
First off, PS and AC are for the weak. :D
Second-If you plan on running air tools of any kind, a tank is a must even for a 10cfm york. If all you are doing is airing up then its not necessary by any means.

CruisinGA-

Well, you may have just answered my deliema. I was under the impression you would be able to run tools directly from a York, as most tools say they require 4CFM. If that is not the case, then I wouldn't hassle with a York, just put in a 12v and a tank or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom