OME Suspension Install-Pre Flight Check (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DrRock

SILVER Star
Threads
All, I’ll be doing a full OME install next weekend! Shout out to @cruiseroutfit for supplying a comprehensive kit and great support, thank you. I’ve listed key topics below, please let me know if there are any other gotcha’s that I might have missed.

Springs
1. All fasteners have been pb blasted over the past two weeks, everything seems to break loose.
2. Fixes side spring pins are stuck, I’ll be cutting them out with a sawzall.
3. Springs need to be installed with arrow pointing to fixed side on truck.
4. Rears are both marked O so can be installed on either side.
5. Fronts are marked + and O, + goes on passenger side.

While I’m in there
1. Replace all soft brake lines
2. Wire wheel and paint U bolt plates
3. Inspect and paint frame spring mount points

I think that’s it!

Any feedback is welcome.

cheers, James

Start now so you'll be finished by next weekend :lol:.

It is possible to do a full suspension swap in a day but usually you run into stubborn nuts, bolts, bushings that take more time than expected. Cleaning and painting will also add up time wise. Old dried shock bushings can be tough to break free.

Have some ratchet straps on hand to manipulate the new springs in position, if needed.

I've never been able to attach the spring eye into the shackle without having a long stout bar (or board) to be able to torque the spring down into a position where the shackle can be fit through it.
Doing it by myself, it required a length of stout pipe that I could lash to the spring to be able to put all my weight on it to leverage the spring down far enough.
The springs are very strong. Any manipulation requires a lot of leverage from tools
I also always had to use a highlift jack to be able to lift the chassis up high enough to completely unweight the springs. It needs to be lifted up very high.
II've replaced rear springs at a campsite before out in the boonies. If you have the right tools it's not too bad.

Last edited:
Thanks for the added tips and advice gentlemen, much appreciated. I spent some time on the truck doing a valve adjustment today and re applying PB blaster to all the fasteners in question.

Cheers, James

If you have sway bars, you’ll need longer extensions/links.
Remember to have good jack stands - safety first!
Also, if you’re doing the job alone an extra jack comes in handy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom