OME Question and Pic Request (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting close to purchasing my OME lift and have a few questions about the lifts that I haven't been able to answer from searching the archives (here or on birfield) - I have found pieces of info, but no clear answer - I do plan to call Christo to order it, but wanted to check with the people in the "know" about what works and what doesn't from user experience.

For the OME 2.5 inch lift, do both the medium (851/860) and the heavy (850/863) result in the stinkbug problem such that packers/spacers will be required on the front to level the vehicle out? If they both do, which combo has less of a stinkbug. The plan is the suspension upgrade, then about 1 year later or so, the ARB front bumper (without winch) - this is my wife's vehicle (yes, I wanted it for me :D , but life is much more pleasant giving it to her and having it for the "family" on the weekends :bounce: - for the offroad adventures - which allows me to justify the bucks spent on the "family vehicle" :) )

I understand that the caster correction is required for the 2.5 lift, but if you need to put spacers at the front springs it would seem that this may push the caster even further out of spec. I want it to still be safe for around town driving.

Based on other posts, it would seem that the 861/862 might be the best solution and minimal, if any, back to front rake. However, I can't seem to find any pictures of a cruiser/lx450 with 861/862 and 285/75/16s (looks like a lot of the links no longer work or the images are no longer inline with the message). From the research, it looks like Seminole, -S.A.-, sjcruiser, shocker, DRTDuck, Brentbba, and landandsea are running the lower lift version. Do any of you have pics handy that you can post?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

If this is your wifes truck do not install 850's without a bumper and/or winch. The caster will not be corrected enough with the bushings and it will not drive well. Sometimes we sound like the lone voice in the woods, but we believe you should not compromise the safety by making it drive like crap, jump lanes and track into ruts.

If you really want it level you could run a 862 in the rear and one or two 10mm packers to set it up level.

However the raked looked is there for a reason. I know people do not like it, personaly I do not mind it. When loaded up it is much better to have the truck level, that arse low. l

Thanks Christo.

Anybody out there with the OME 861/862 lift that would like to share a pic or two? If you would rather send them offline, you can always PM me (unfortunately neither the picture gallery nor the CruiserGarage has any pics of the 861/862 combo that I can find).

Also, anybody want to talk about their 861/862 experiences - good or bad?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,
For a picture check here (http://www.echo29.com/). I am almost certain that Scott had the softer, lower lift springs installed initially but then installed a Kaymar rear bumper and went with the 850/863 setup. So older pics on that site should give you an idea. Not sure, but hope that helps. IIRC, he really enjoyed the ride when it was all stock but really noticed negatives when he did the rear bumper. When in doubt though, go with Christo's advice.
Mike R.

Thanks Mike.

I think I found a few pictures from your link (the Death Valley trip) which occurred before Scott added the aftermarket bumper - it looks like he might have had 285s on there as well.

Anybody else have any opinions on the OME 861/862 setup and maybe a picture (a profile of the truck would be best :) )?

Mike

Last edited:
here is a pic of a LC80 with the following specs:

1HD-T engine
5-speed manual tranny, partime 4wd
manual front locking hubs
OME 851 front coils (50mm)
OME 860 rear coils (50mm)
Super Pro front spacers (30mm)
OME SD24 steering damper
Pro Comp X-Terrain 305/70R16 tires

i guess this the pic you wanted.
lc802.jpg

With the 30mm packers, do you notice any wander in the steering (I am assuming that you have the OME caster correction)?

Nice ride, by the way. :cheers:

forgot to mention, OME caster correction bushings, had it checked the caster was within specs. btw its not my ride is my business partners. it also has OME shocks front and rear, and just added 10mm trim packers front and rear, ARB winch bar and changed tires to 285/75R15 BFG A/T's.

Here is a before and after picture with the OME 861/862 with 20mm packers in the front and 5mm packers in the rear. I also have the OME steering stabilizer and have 285's.

Crazy I never took a flat picture from the side before I installed the OME, so this will have to do. Sure is sweet to see the difference the OME has on LC!

I have nothing to say but good things about the low lift OME's. You will really enjoy them!

Later-

D
beforenafter.JPG

Okay, so I have had fun tonight finding before and after pictures!

Here is another set.

I wish I could have found more of these before and after pictures when I was first deciding on the lift. Hope these help.

D
lift comparison.JPG

The OME lift was my first modification. I wanted the heavy 850's or the "J" springs at first but after putting together a realistic timeline on future mods such as sliders, ARB front bumper,winch, and slee rear bumper (aprox. $4500 total cost) I realized that it would be years before I would need the heavy springs. So I followed Sleeoffroad's advice and got the 851 medium springs and have been thrilled with my decision. The truck rides firmer than stock but not at all harsh, it did have a slight rake but not bad until I put the front bumper on. After the ARB it became very pronounced so I installed the Mr. Gasket 1" spacers up front and the truck now sits level. Christo's comment on the rake (like all his advice) is dead on. If you look at the attached pic you will notice a slight droop in the rear as I had some gear and coolers in the back, not too bad though as the OME springs have a higher capacity than stock. I just recently went on vacation with the wife and 3 kids and had her loaded to the max including the roof rack, drove 1000 miles at freeway speeds (65-75 mph) with absolutely no problem and even did some offroading in the loaded condition. The suspension worked great even under load. The castor correction will be your biggest obstacle but an absolute must. I drove the truck without it for 3 mos. It felt different at speed but not too bad (tended to wander at times) for the most part. However one day on the Washington beltway during a series of events that required multiple driver actions in rapid succesion to avoid an accident the lack of castor correction became very obvious and dangerous. With it the truck drives like stock. I have 295/75/16 Nitto Terre Grapplers on all 4 corners . After 25K they are holding up well and no rubbing that I have encountered. I am happy with my spring choice for now, instead of heavier springs in the future I am looking into the Slee 6" lift, 4.88's, and running even bigger tires when the truck will not be doing daily driver duties any longer.
Springbreak04 012.jpg

Thanks for the pics...it is great that there are so many helpful people on this board....makes the buying decision much, much easier.

Although my inclination is to go with the 2.5 lift, I'm going to go with the 861/862s first. I still have my Samurai as my rockcrawler (fully locked with lots and lots of goodies...just not a good family vehicle for excursions). After about a year, I'll probably look into going up to the 2.5 inch lift. However, I suspect that in about 6 months I'll be putting an ARB up front and also be buying the 20mm packer at that time to compensate for the extra load.

This is all really great info!

Thanks again,
Mike :cheers:

well....
:D
maybe this old thread will help you
thread with lots of before/after pics of my OME lift...

Notice I was really tail low with the rear bumper on the 170K original springs. Now I am a *little* nose high if anything, but that should change with my front bumper and winch :D (whenever THAT happens :rolleyes: )

Do the caster correction! It's your wifes vehicle, and you want her safe.
I haven't done mine yet, and it was bad.... then I got used to it... and lazy... and I haven't done it yet. :eek:

I was expecting the firmer ride with the OME lift (but not sure I would like it)
It IS firmer, in a very good way.
I was NOT expecting the much smoother ride over bumpy terrain!!!
In my head, *firmer* told me it would be harsher over rough roads. In reality it's the total opposite! The OME rides MUCH better over potholes, and washboard.

This might seem like a stupid comment/question, but what if you were off offset the weight front and rear with some Steel, or other heavy fairly priced material so that the weight ratio would match that of the ARB bumper until you get the money to buy the actual items?

Thanks Chris...nice pics.

I ordered the 861/862 today from Slee...should be here either this weekend or Monday.

When I go with the higher lift, I'll definitely look into the configuration you have...it looks great! :bounce:

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom