OME Dakar Center Pin Diameter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
theewhitemouse.tumblr.com
Wondering if anyone knows the diameter of both the CENTER PIN and the CENTER PIN HEAD of OME's Dakar front spring packs? I just finished up installing a new 2.5" lift and Im .5 and .9 degrees negative on my caster and need to shim her up. Trying to order the proper taller headed pins. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also...should I run 2 degree shims or 4? Keeping her fragile transmission happy with stock 31's so no plan of going bigger anytime soon.

John
88 FJ62

Drive it around for a few weeks without shims & see how the steering tracks (that's what caster is all about). It may be fine. I have at least 2-1/2" lift with no shims. No big deal. Have had it like that for 27 years & 240,000 miles. My steering doesn't track like a brand new passenger car, but it's good enough for me.

Thanks OSS for the positive outlook. Unfortunately Ive done the following over past couple years to make the steering not better but just less dangerous. It wanders like no buddies business and pulls like crazy and has since Ive owned it for the past 6 years. I took it up to big sur last year and a bridge near the wine country had super deep grooming and I thought I was going to die. Ive tried aftermarket shackles and new bushings. Flushed and changed power steering fluid. Tried adjusting the steering box and got a pro alignment. That was in the first year and I just gave up and drove her white knuckled most everywhere. This last few months I rebuilt my birfs, knuckles and seals with new trunnion bearings all following my FSM on technique and specs. With that right of passage in the books - I also installed the 2.5" OME complete lift setup. Once I drove it and had 0% change in control...I forked out 430 bucks for a amazingly nice rebuilt power steering box from cruiserparts and that gave me a pretty nice shot in the arm in overall control of the vehicle. I then got a pro alignment as suggest by fellow mudders and It revealed that my caster was in the red. neg 0.5 on the drivers side and neg 0.9 on the passenger side. Then I read some people swap there front tires from drivers side to the passenger side...that actually helped alot????!!!

So with all that said Im now ready to try the least expensive and most likely last possible fix - caster shims! Im just to damn lazy to lift her up and pull the ubolts off to measure the bolt. Ive emailed ARB and will see if they reply...if not Im going to get her up in the air tonight. I know the head is roughly 14mm as I was able to measure that where it comes out of the perch.

I think my springs are pre Dakar, so I can't say with certainty that this applies to your springs.
When I took mine apart, I replaced the center pin with a a 3/8-13 socket head bolt of the appropriate length. The head was the perfect diameter to fit in the spring perch, with just a bit of force. It's a nice inexpensive option if they'll work for you.
silicon-bronze-socket-head-cap-screws-35372-_105153

Is the frame bent/damaged? Did someone take it off some "sweet jumps" in its past?
I thought I was going to need shims after my OME heavy front lift as well, even after the TRE's were replaced. After an alignment, it's is much better, as in no worries. Especially when loaded. It seems like you've addressed everything it could be as far as the steering goes...Kurt @cruiser Outfitters will have the center pins info and shims on hand. He recommended the alignment first to me before shimming up. At the least he may lend you an ear and have some ideas?

All the OME products I've dealt with had 10mm ( 3/8 ) pins. The head is about 5/8~11/16. I usually punch my caster shims 11/16. As I recall
5/8 fits but is tight. With 11/16 you can loosen the u-bolts and easily slip a shim in if all your doing is adding or changing shims
I guess it doesn't matter if the springs aren't installed

Thanks everyone for the info. And oh yeah I changed out the tie rod ends a bit ago just to add to the list. Ive got pretty good hopes that the $25 bucks in angled steel will help. I read here on a thread a while back while frustrated that has become my new LC mantra "No land cruiser is created equal" - s*** should be in the bible.

Reactions: OSS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom