OME 2.5 spring install 65 FJ45 SWB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

adding an addendum to this post

This thread was a huge help to me in completing my install on my FJ40. Didn't think I could do any better..and why re-invent the wheel...I thought that it might be helpful to post some other things that I learned during this process....that might help someone else down the line too.

1. I was painting the frame and axles at the same time...this meant that I had both springs off at the same time...in hindsight I had to do it this way or it would have taken way too long to paint one side at a time...if you do this make sure you have an extra support on the drive shaft side of the differential....not fun catching it.
2. I found it much easier to put the fixed end of the spring in past the hole, ie when I did the rear spring the bushing was past the hole closer to the front of the rig.
3. It is much easier to pull the spring back to the correct location vs. trying to push it (via using a jack on the spring)....mine went together very quickly when I changed this.
4. Pulling by hand is actually much more effective than using a BFH.
5. When connecting the axle to the springs do the passenger side first...its much easier to get the longer side (driver side) to fall into place.
6. Be patient putting the fixed pins into the spring hanger...it can be a little bit of a pain getting them to go all the way through
7. Also, to get the 2nd side spring onto the axle pin I found it much easier to compress the spring with the floor jack...then grab a hold of the axle and lean back...just popped right into place. Was pretty surprised how easy this was.

Some other duh items that I had a hard time confirming at first.
1. for the front and back the end with the skinnier final leaf is the one that goes to the shackle end (also the arrow points towards the fixed spring..noticed that afterward. Also the on the rear the shorter span from pin to end of the spring goes to the fixed perch (or the side that has the two clamps)
2. Use the moly grease liberally...when inserting the bushings, pins and on the inside of the fixed perch's...really helps to get them to slide in.
3. having the perch's hot (ie 80-90 degrees) really seemed to help me vs. the 40 weather I was having fun installing them in.
4. have fun - this was my first big project on my 40....I'm kind of sad that it's over now...I really had a blast installing it.

Overall the quality of the OME kit is top notch....too bad they don't give any directions at all...i mean c'mon guys...would it kill you to add some clear step by step directions?

That's all I could think to add that might be beneficial to anyone else...again this thread was a great step by step...and I found it very useful...thanks for creating it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom