Older Land Rovers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd say they're quaint neat old trucks that are actually pretty fun to putz around in.

no where NEAR as heavy duty as a cruiser, but kinda fun.

some of the stock gear is amazingly crappy ( mc's brakes and axles..) some things are clever.

one of these days I'll hopefully get my mutant thing running.... basically just a 109 5 door shell on a 55 frame, with bj42 drivetrain.

lots of room in it so it should be good for camping.

what can I say, same bj40/42/45 thing for ten years, I needed a change....:doh:

some pics of it here.

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j171/seapotato1/rover/?albumview=slideshow

it's getting to the point where I can put stuff together and leave it together...

Last edited:
You got to be kidding? More prone to rust than a 40? Poorly engineered? Less capable and strong? Pass the crackpipe!
My stock Land Rover is 61 years old for Gods sake! Tiny amount of rust, faultlessly reliable, tough as hell and an excellent offroader.

Last edited:
Then why doesn't everyone in Australia drive them?

I sure saw a lot more Land Cruisers than Land Rovers when I was over there a few months ago...

Your right Australia is inundated with modern Toyos because they are reliable, durable and competant. LR's opened up this country but even so Australians started to switch to Toyo because of their availablity, cheaper price (initially), on road speed and comfort, not because they were superior off roaders or better designed, the Toyos simply suited the average Australians needs more than LR.
Toyos were always more of a compromise car, whereas the LR was very much built for one purpose - offroading. The failure of the Land rover company and LRAustralia to listen to and respond to Australian customers needs and Toyos relentless and clever marketing sealed their fate.
Nonetheless there is still many LR's around of all ages, from series 1's to Disco 3's, whereas the oldest toyotas commonly seen are from the late 80's, and they almost invariably have significant rust issues. Further the LR was always the mainstay of the Australian Army, and yes they did try Toyos, however they found them to be lacking in ability and durability. However the Australian Army is reducing their LR fleet due to the move away from soft skinned vehicles since the rise of IED's.
And lastly for those comparing Series to FJ 40s, there are far, far more Series than FJs owing to their massive problems with rust, especially around coastal areas. In terms of longeveity there is no comparison, the vast majority of FJs rusted away years ago. And the FJ was never, in its standard form, a superior offroader compared to any Series.

akula,

You have some good points, coastal Oz is harsh on steel but I think you are wrong on the landy vrs the FJ offroad, in many conditions there isn't much between them, why would there be? Loaded up the FJ has the edge, particularly diesel vrs diesel.

The Army used the Landy? OK but what did the mines use?

Some mines used Land Rovers too. Aluminum held up better against some of the conditions found in mines.

I have owned three Series II and IIA LRs over the past 40 years. They are good vehicles but no where near as hardy or as goworthy as the FJ40. About the only advantage I can think of are the full floating axles.

had dozens of rovers and half a dozen 40 series cruisers. Each has their own advantages. The rover is easier to work on, it is more modular with multiple options for different tops and configurations on a single vehicle, it has a more rigid frame, is less top heavy, has stronger hubs, knuckles, lugs, and has a far stronger t-case than the cruiser and better gearing, parts availability is very good and the documentation (parts catalogs and manuals) is far better than the fjs. I love the flat floors that just sweep out and the doors that split in half from the factory. The cruiser typically has stronger axles (although the optional salsbury and ENV axle for the rover are stronger than the cruiser units), more powerful engine and trans, less prone to rattles, a more rigid body, more mechanical refinements over the course of production, and longer front springs, aftermarket parts are more readily available for the cruiser. They are both worthy vehicles I tend to prefer the rover but I have a soft spot for the cruiser as well.

Last edited:
I am doing Land Cruisers but bought my first Land Rover a very rare 1960 LHD model. I just sold it.

Absolutely fell in love with it. Parts are easier and actually cheaper than LC parts. Roversnorth etc as mentioned above. For pure aesthetics they are quite beautiful and people love them. Realistically an early model in the condition like mine is purely to be used as a 7 passenger garaged beach runner. The Colombians say however that they are very strong offroad due to their being around 500 pounds lighter than the FJ40s. The main issue is they are 45 mph top cruise speed unless you change gearing or do an overdrive. Having said that mine was just plain FUN to drive with manual steering and light direct manual brakes and the clunky 4 speed. Reliability wise my theory is having a rust free one means everything meaning buy a $20,000 or more one. I really predict these will follow the values of the FJ40s as there really are not that many clean ones. I really liked the little 2.25 motor too. sounds like a diesel (mine was gas). Funny bec 55 mph in a Land Cruiser does not feel so slow after doing 45 mph in a Rover.

Here is my beloved Alfie that I will regret selling...

alfie-land-rover-series-ii-88-0012.jpg
alfie-land-rover-series-ii-88-0001-1.jpg
alfie-land-rover-series-ii-88-0002.jpg
alfie-land-rover-series-ii-88-0003.jpg

I have driven a series IIA 88 for over thirty years daily. it is a very reliable durable truck that is easy to work on and parts availability are excellent. it has never been broke down never. it has been blown away by a tornado though. i just checked the oil and water in the radiator and drove it off.

Although I went "Toyota" 10 years ago, I once owned several "Series" Land Rovers. (1963 & 67 Series 2A's and a 1973 Series lll)
Can they have rust issues? Yes .... All vintage vehicles can have rust issues. Toyota's are certainly not immune from Rust.
Are they reliable? Yes ... If properly maintained they are as reliable as any 30 - 40 year old vehicle. The "Series" Land Rovers are very simple by nature and are quite easy to maintain.
Are they underpowered? Yes ... Then again I drive a diesel 70 Series Toyota so "underpowered" is a relative term.
The transmission in the Series lll is less robust than the earlier gearboxes in the Series 2/2A although they are more user friendly.
I would still prefer a Land Cruiser but wouldn't hesitate to buy a Series Land Rover if that was my preferred vehicle.

Last edited:
Yes loved the Land Rover and I did sell it to a nice family. The kids piled in the back on the side facing benches and seemed delighted with their "safari" truck. I hope to bring in more. I really do NOT fit in them at 6 foot 3 but really fell in love with them. They are some how even more simple than our beloved Land Cruisers. The way the top comes apart and the doors and rear tailgate hardware. I like the manual steering and manual brakes (actually across the board I am now a manual steering fan).

I do want to look into changed the diffs to Range Rover 3.54 and seeing how they run atleast on flat ground. 45 mph cruise is poky slow. 55 would be fine.

My theory is that these at $20,000 are a value IF you do LHD and rust free. All the parts and soft tops etc are easy and cheap to order online. I have seen some USA ones and some that came from Spain for $15000 for sale here and they had "some rust" and perforations in the chassis etc.

Interestingly the 82 FJ43 red Toyota here I had issues with mechanically while the Rover actually never had to take it to my Tampa mechanic. The Rover DID have issues in Colombia though but we caught them.

I think for tooling around the beach or farm these little Rovers are GREAT.

Cool factor 10/10

Reliability 7/10

Off road ability 6/10

Days spent wiping up the oil drips on your drive......10/10

The Discovery II in my avatar was modified to kick arse in competitions......and it did but, despite all repairs/modification were done with care but found I could not string two weekends together without having to repair something or other. Not major repairs but there was always something leaking/rattling/not working. Sold it and bought the LC80.......nuff said.

regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom