Old Man Emu "Popping" noise. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stake or weld the sleeves. This has been an issue since OME ghanged their designs to the Dakar spring when they moved production from Australia to distant lands

051512094dc6672399119ef1d621466a968c14-wm.jpg

I would NOT weld anything to a leaf spring, you will change the tensile strength of the metal and cause your leaf spring to crack and then break. I am talking with experience. Try to eliminate that sleeve and go with OEM bushings.

Mine is pre Dakar, I get the clunk as well but from what I can see, it's the one(on each side) of the front spring leafs shifting, does it less when it's wet and more when it's dry. I lubed the spring packs last summer and the clunk noise went away or was not as noticeable, now it's back

I had George at (Valley Hybrids, Stockton CA) install my OME on my 87 FJ60 not quite a year ago. He said after the install that these things need to "settle" in and that I need to keep torquing the main bolts periodically after the install. I get the same style popping noise too. Not sure who installed yours or when, but I'd bet all you have to do is tighten things down (really tighten) and drive some, then tighten again, until they settle. Or call George in Stockton CA.

i just did a tack weld right at the end of the curl. it's enough to keep the sleeve in place but doesn't affect the spring metal in any way except possibly the last 5mm which i figured doesn't offer much strength or flex anyway. much quieter though not perfect since that's been done.

I ran rule out the sleeve in my case, it's not a dakar, it's original OME which does not use the sleeve. And it still has a pop.

Going to look at it again today. Everything has been torqued more than once over the years, but will again.

I recall seeing a GoPro of a 60 front suspension trying to locate the popping. I remember it showed it was one of the springs shifting when turning.

There was a post where someone made some HD steel leaf clamps. It was claimed they stopped the popping.

few years ago I had the wife turn the wheel back and forth as I watched the front end, the popping came from one(on each side) of the leafs shifting. last summer I put it on the rack and greased all everything up, including between the leafs and it made it go away, but back again this year. For 10 years it made no pop, then it started to pop, maybe 20,000 on the suspension(which is all OME, including the bushings)

I recall seeing a GoPro of a 60 front suspension trying to locate the popping. I remember it showed it was one of the springs shifting when turning.

There was a post where someone made some HD steel leaf clamps. It was claimed they stopped the popping.

I've had it since the day I installed the kit. Pisses me off.

Another popping front end here. Sigh....

few years ago I had the wife turn the wheel back and forth as I watched the front end, the popping came from one(on each side) of the leafs shifting. last summer I put it on the rack and greased all everything up, including between the leafs and it made it go away, but back again this year. For 10 years it made no pop, then it started to pop, maybe 20,000 on the suspension(which is all OME, including the bushings)
Agreed, tighten the u clamp bolts very tightly and keep them tight.
I have oem rubber bushings with light duty springs. They only knock if the bolts loosen.

I never knew this was such a common issue. My OME's have done this for a long time. Usually worse after they've been recently wet.

I just labeled it "leaf spring noise" and kept an eye on things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom