Okay, Best Rear Bumper? Pics? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good point about the roof:doh: I had to ask because I could not get my 130lb 37" Swamper on the carrier of my old 80 alone. looks like it will work well for you.

Mine is 100 lbs rim and tire - not light, but doable. 130 I'd need help for sure :banana:

Dont get a lot of photo radar tickets with that bumper eh? :p

Yea, I'm going to have to do something about the license plate :grinpimp:

Lookin good man.

For my license plate light I just plugged into the trailer harness, works good and its simple.

D

Lookin good man.

For my license plate light I just plugged into the trailer harness, works good and its simple.

D

How'd you plug in to the trailer harness? That makes good sense, although I could realistically extend the lighting from the actually license plate light I would think.

I just used the appropriate connector and plugged into the constant power in the harness. One wire from the harness to the light and a ground from the light to the carrier. Keep the oe light, it will illuminate your pins at night.

D

I can lift the tire up onto the mount - it's not much fun, but sure beats putting it up on the roof.

Now if the tire bracket was on the other side, you could tilt the whole assembly down and just plop the tire on, then swing it back up.
That design would most likely decrease departure angle clearance. One would have to model it to really see I guess.

Now if the tire bracket was on the other side, you could tilt the whole assembly down and just plop the tire on, then swing it back up.
That design would most likely decrease departure angle clearance. One would have to model it to really see I guess.

That's how Darwink did it...
Swingdown Carrier Side View.jpg

Yeah, I wasnt too worried about departure angle since it isnt my primary wheeler. I also wanted to keep the tire down low to maximize rear visibility. It would be pretty simple to design one with the tire raised resulting in more clearance.

Im thinking of something along these lines for my 60. The 1/4 protection would be part of the bumper though and the carrier would attach like the one that poison spider sells for heaps. It wouldnt attach to the body like theirs does cause thats just silly.

Kinda like this

2008moab006.jpg

Combined with this

swingdown.jpg

With 1/4 protection like this

DSC_0106.jpg

I have it all sketched out and am just waiting for winter to go away.

D

Last edited:
Yeah, I wasnt too worried about departure angle since it isnt my primary wheeler. I also wanted to keep the tire down low to maximize rear visibility. It would be pretty simple to design one with the tire raised resulting in more clearance.

Im thinking of something along these lines for my 60. The 1/4 protection would be part of the bumper though and the carrier would attach like the one that poison spider sells for heaps. It wouldnt attach to the body like theirs does cause thats just silly.

Kinda like this

2008moab006.jpg

Combined with this

swingdown.jpg

With 1/4 protection like this

DSC_0106.jpg

I have it all sketched out and am just waiting for winter to go away.

D

Yep, that 80 is the one I was thinking of also in the other thread. I kept my tire low for visibility as well, but that's why we did the sliding adjustment so it can be raised for wheeling. I think that should pretty much be a standard design in tire carriers.

I was thinking that a early tacoma style spare winch that uses a cable instead of chain would work. Weld the stock spare tire tool to the winch and turn it into a cool handle that youd rotate to release the tire.... Seems like it could be an alternative to going the ratchet strap route which is a little obvious to potential tire thieves.

You mentioning adjustment made me start thinking about building it into my proposed design. Looking at the 80 carrier in the pic above, it looks like it would be possible to make the whole basket adjustable. You could make it slide up and down on the main tubes and have a couple different holes for pins. A set screw knob to get rid of play in the sleeved tubes, maybe some grease fittings. Drop it for driving around town visibility and lift when wheeling...

I love tossing ideas around like this.

D

I was thinking that a early tacoma style spare winch that uses a cable instead of chain would work. Weld the stock spare tire tool to the winch and turn it into a cool handle that youd rotate to release the tire.... Seems like it could be an alternative to going the ratchet strap route which is a little obvious to potential tire thieves.

You mentioning adjustment made me start thinking about building it into my proposed design. Looking at the 80 carrier in the pic above, it looks like it would be possible to make the whole basket adjustable. You could make it slide up and down on the main tubes and have a couple different holes for pins. A set screw knob to get rid of play in the sleeved tubes, maybe some grease fittings. Drop it for driving around town visibility and lift when wheeling...

I love tossing ideas around like this.

D

Yep, the adjustability is really surprisingly easy. Mine makes no noise and has no movement at all.

The top of my tire is right at the top of the 3rd row headrests, so it isn't causing any problems. It will go up 3" or so for technical crawling. Pretty easy and it takes away the big negative of a carrier in terms of visibility for daily driving.

Ended up going all the way through this thread (whew!) after accidentally clicking on the last post icon thinking this was Nay's "New Swing Down Tire Carrier" thread. My first clue that I was in the wrong thread was when I scrolled to the top of the page and I was on page 9 :confused:? BTW, that tire carrier looks like it will work for you, Nay.

My "Best Rear Bumper" is shown below. It was installed on my '94 two years before this thread was even started. it's been on my Landcruiser for 8 years with no problems. It's sturdiness and built in receiver have exceeded my original expectations. That speaks for the quality and usefulness.
........I like the Kaymar and it will fit with the aux tank, but the bushings in the swing away carrier wear out too quick and the tire shakes too much for my liking............
This was from post #2. I don't know where he got this, but it ain't true with my Kaymar. The only mods I've made was to remove the original Kaymar provided aux lights and install some additional backup lights in their housings. Also the keeper that holds the swingout open wore out, but a replacement was easily fabbed from a bolt. Here's some pics from Oct. 2010. You can see the keeper in the pics. It's the bent bolt near the spare spindle.
HPIM0750.jpg
HPIM0751.jpg
HPIM0752.jpg

A light-weight bumper design

I wanted to fit an aux thank, and with that came the necessity of a rear tire holder, and then a rear bumper. I planned to go for the Iron Pig bumper, but the weight frightened me. To expedition equip a vehicle means adding a lot of weight. So I got this idea of instead of adding a new bumper outside the existing, I would instead change the plastic corners with steel. The added weight with this design is 20 kg, instead of 70. And of course many bucks less..
As I have no tools for bending thick steel I had to find standard parts that only needed grinding and welding. The rear member is a 6 mm U-profile that perfectly fits outside the standard bumper. The side wings are made of two 5 x100 mm flat irons welded together, with a 25 mm square tube on top. There is also a rod from the wing to the U-profile to stiffen this sideways. (Not shown in photo). I did not use the frame to stiffen the side-wings as I have seen on other designs, as I am afraid a sideways hit could bend the frame.
So far only left side is finished, the right side is for the upcoming winter.
The 30mm pipe underneath is an idea stolen from Land Rover. It fits their Hi-Lift adapter.
The swingout and wheel carrier is from 4x4 labs.

The aux thank is also "home made" as I fitted a standard tank from a LC 70. See https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=8745446&postcount=1

DSCF0424_red.jpg

SNC10298.jpg

SNC10287.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted to fit an aux thank, and with that came the necessity of a rear tire holder, and then a rear bumper. I planned to go for the Iron Pig bumper, but the weight frightened me. To expedition equip a vehicle means adding a lot of weight. So I got this idea of instead of adding a new bumper outside the existing, I would instead change the plastic corners with steel. The added weight with this design is 20 kg, instead of 70. And of course many bucks less..
As I have no tools for bending thick steel I had to find standard parts that only needed grinding and welding. The rear member is a 6 mm U-profile that perfectly fits outside the standard bumper. The side wings are made of two 5 x100 mm flat irons welded together, with a 25 mm square tube on top. There is also a rod from the wing to the U-profile to stiffen this sideways. (Not shown in photo). I did not use the frame to stiffen the side-wings as I have seen on other designs, as I am afraid a sideways hit could bend the frame.
So far only left side is finished, the right side is for the upcoming winter.
The 30mm pipe underneath is an idea stolen from Land Rover. It fits their Hi-Lift adapter.
The swingout and wheel carrier is from 4x4 labs.

Mind posting some more pictures?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom