Okay, Best Rear Bumper? Pics?

Skillet

Skillet
Joined
Nov 10, 2005
Messages
4,042
Location
КАГІҒОЯИІА
 
 
I have searched this and other sights for some good insight on who makes the best rear bumper for our 80's. But no real solid input.
Would it be possible to get some of your oppinions with pictures of your rear end setups?
I am looking for best clearance, least rattley, setup with clean non-cluttered look.
Leaning towards Slee but I have seen, Kaymar, Hanna, 4PLUS, etc...
Any that I am missing? I am not a fabricator so I cannot make my own.

Thanks for input!

:beer:
 
Joined
May 21, 2004
Messages
3,566
Location
San Diego
Whitey said:
I have searched this and other sights for some good insight on who makes the best rear bumper for our 80's. But no real solid input.
Would it be possible to get some of your oppinions with pictures of your rear end setups?
I am looking for best clearance, least rattley, setup with clean non-cluttered look.
Leaning towards Slee but I have seen, Kaymar, Hanna, 4PLUS, etc...
Any that I am missing? I am not a fabricator so I cannot make my own.

Thanks for input!

:beer:
Its a tough call and personal decision.

For me, each bumper seems to have its + and its -

I love the slee bumper but cant use it with the reciever setup because it doesnt appear it will fit with an aux tank, plus its a little rich for my blood

I like the Kaymar and it will fit with the aux tank, but the bushings in the swing away carrier wear out too quick and the tire shakes too much for my liking

The 4Plus one is cool and i like the design, but they say you have to bring your truck to their facility for a week or so, for the install, no thanks

The Hanna is very nice but needs to be modified for a 2" Reciever

The one from Ironpig is "To Me" the best looking unit out there, but i havent seen one in person to comment on its fit and quality, all i see is pics: http://www.ironpigoffroad.com/80bumpers.htm

If $ were no object i would go with a luke job from www.4x4labs.com each are custom made to your specs and anyone at pismo got a chance to see a few variations, MOST impressive craftsmenship! He installs gas charged pistons to ease swinging the tire out and stuff like that. Way cool for us gadget nerds. Also, his removes some of the rear frame and replaces it with stronger steel. His unit provides the most clearance out of the bunch!

Its a matter or preference. Most listed above are tried and true with no reports of "Failure" so they are all pretty much tough as nails. Its a matter of what your looking for and what style you like.

I am still search for an ideal bumper that will have a smooth 2" Reciever, 2 swing aways (one for my tire and one for my hi-lift and 20lbs c02 tank), side protection and will clear an Aux tank. I will probably end up trying to fab something to see what i can come up with!

Get whatever YOU like!
 
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Messages
1,701
Location
Charleston, SC
 
 
 
I agree with Boston on this. All of the bumpers are good. I would base a good bit of my decision on where I lived. If I were in CA like you I would look at the Hanna since they are out there and if close you will save big $$ on shipping. In CO Slee all the way. East Coast not much of an option unless Iron Pig in VA. I personally like the Slee but the Hanna looks great as well. I dont think you would regret buying any of them.
 
Joined
Oct 27, 2005
Messages
83
Location
IDAHO
I have called Man-A-Fre, they will have a shipable version of the 4plus at the first of the year, just a option.
 
Joined
Dec 18, 2004
Messages
459
Location
In the shop cuttin' parts

http://www.yankeetoys.org/black900rr/rearbumper.html
This is a bumper that Michael Fox built a while back. I have admired this one for some time. Being a fabicator myself, I'm going to use some ideas from several different bumper projects and try to build the "ultimate" bumpers, "front, rear and other armor" for Cruisers at a reasonalbe price. Its taking a while, but I think they will be worth the wait. We are in the programming/AutoCad stage now. I'll post some pics when they are ready and get some feedback. If you need one soon, this is the nicest on I have seen. Try to contact Michael at his site and see what he says.
 
Joined
May 21, 2004
Messages
3,566
Location
San Diego
Yes, that above FoxFab bumper is a thing of beauty! I contacted him to build me one, but because my rig is here and he is there, it wasnt really cost effective. Awesome work he does though!
 
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Messages
57
Boston Mangler said:
Yes, that above FoxFab bumper is a thing of beauty! I contacted him to build me one, but because my rig is here and he is there, it wasnt really cost effective. Awesome work he does though!
foxfab is close to my point of operations off island! joy! do you remember what he quoted you on that custom rear bumber job? I am definatly ordering some of his sliders as well.
 
Joined
Apr 25, 2005
Messages
229
FB Fabworks said:

http://www.yankeetoys.org/black900rr/rearbumper.html
This is a bumper that Michael Fox built a while back. I have admired this one for some time. Being a fabicator myself, I'm going to use some ideas from several different bumper projects and try to build the "ultimate" bumpers, "front, rear and other armor" for Cruisers at a reasonalbe price. Its taking a while, but I think they will be worth the wait. We are in the programming/AutoCad stage now. I'll post some pics when they are ready and get some feedback. If you need one soon, this is the nicest on I have seen. Try to contact Michael at his site and see what he says.

That cooler mount is way too low imho. Shelf drops would kill that.
 

Brentbba

Former Golfer
SILVER Star
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
10,404
Location
OC, CA
 
 
 
Depends on your needs. Up until recently, if you towed, Kaymar was your only option. Christo has added a 2" receiver to his list now.

Happy with my Kaymar - towing needed. Don't think it's as stout as Hanna or Slee and doesn't have quite the departure angles the later two have. Haven't really looked at Luke's much.

Pics of the Kaymar install are in a thread from me somewhere in the bowels of the search function. hehehe Use it. There's a wealth of information to be had. Ok here - https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=41862&highlight=kaymar
 

woody

Staff member
Admin
Joined
Jan 15, 2002
Messages
10,301
Location
Toquerville UT
 
 
 
 
Luke @ 4x4Labs is also prototyping a self-weld version of his bumpers....he and I have chatted on it once....

may have to convince myself to get one in...
 

Skillet

Skillet
Joined
Nov 10, 2005
Messages
4,042
Location
КАГІҒОЯИІА
 
 
Brentbba said:
Pics of the Kaymar install are in a thread from me somewhere in the bowels of the search function. hehehe Use it. There's a wealth of information to be had. Ok here - https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=41862&highlight=kaymar
I have used the search engine, for hours and hours and hours. Aside from being very interested in all of the information, I also do not want another flaming from the MINDERS of the dreaded REPEAT THREADS! :D
Trust me, I have searched and seen many but I could find no real comparisons.
It is all bits and pieces swirling around in my melon.
Perhaps I have missed something.
Information like, let's say, Boston Mangler's post, puts many observations right in front of you, slapping you in the face.
Fantastic for ADD victims such as myself.
Somethimes this congregates everyone to talk about one thing.
Rear Bumpers.

Thanks for all of the input, I find it very helpful.

I would like the Kaymar if it were not for that bright and shiney aluminum step piece. Does that come off to allow for powder coating or is it on there too well?

:beer:
 

Brentbba

Former Golfer
SILVER Star
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
10,404
Location
OC, CA
 
 
 
Whitey said:
I would like the Kaymar if it were not for that bright and shiney aluminum step piece. Does that come off to allow for powder coating or is it on there too well?

:beer:
The diamond plate can be removed to powdercoat black, pink, purple or pink with purple polka dots if that's what your heart desires. :princess: :flipoff2:

Yes - removable very easily, but it is an part of the bumper - i.e. nothing under it. Three small bolts IIRC. In fact it's shipped loosely bolted to the bumper and removed before installation.
 
Joined
Apr 9, 2003
Messages
264
Location
San Rafael
I like my 4x4 labs one. I do mostly extended camping, love the ladder for loading the Kayaks, and the thule box, or the roof rack if that's what's hooked up. The tire does not rattle at all. Don't wheel a ton due to work, kids, life and lame excuses, but I did do the Dusy Ershim once w/ the norcal guys, it took some abuse for sure, held up very well. Have towed my dad's 25 foot ski natique with reciever as well. The gas struts have held up perfectly. I would change the tire hold down gizmo, which I believe he did later on, mine was one of his first ones, the ladder got better as did a few other things. He will also do jerry can holders, cooler holder, whateva ya want. Being in Cali was part of it, no shipping. Yes you do cut out the rear crossmember, but it gets replaced with something twice as stout. If you are wheeling a lot, I would think this would be great as it does hack like 4 or so inches off the tail. Oh yeah, it looks sweet too.

Jeff
bumper_3a.jpg
bumper_4a.jpg
bumper_6a.jpg
 

concretejungle

SILVER Star
Joined
Oct 27, 2003
Messages
9,632
Location
North Cadillac
 
 
 
clownmidget said:
The side wings of the Kaymar can and have been deflected enough to push into the body panel while "moderately" off roading.

Hmmmmm :eek: Good information. I did not know that. I had been considering one, but now it's been kicked down a few notches.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom