OK- Lube Follow-Up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK - I am lubing up the fj - I have a grease gun and the correct lube pre-loads....Now -- How much of this stiff can I jam in there? Can I over grease? I recall something about busting boots in cv joints with to much grease injected in the zerk (zerc?) fitting. How do I gauge how much to put into the chassis / driveline / front end? How do I know if I can lube more or have just plain gone to far wit it all?

You definately can over grease things. I watch the boot/seal to see if it slightly swells, and I listen to the sound for pops of air and old grease coming out.

What grease are you using for the front axle(Fing birfield joints)?

Type/brand?

Be careful on driveshaft yokes, if you overgrease the yoke, and then your suspension, and hence your yoke compresses, you could do damage to the t-case.
As far as u-joints go, I just pump them until clean grease comes out, otherwise water and old grease may shorten the life of the joint.
Center arm-pump it until new grease comes out
TRE's-If they are new/have good boots, pump until you are 1) bulging the boot a little bit 2)quits hissing If they are old/bad boots, you have to assume they are contaminated inside- I would pump until only new grease is flowing.
Transfer linkage-pump until it starts to drip grease.
If you have old springs, jack up the chassis, get the springs to fully unload and hang, and force grease in between the leaves. Gives a better ride out of old springs with no inter-leaf pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom