Ok, few more questions

74fj40

 
Joined
Mar 12, 2005
Messages
2,781
Location
Littleton, Colorado
Ok, got a few more questions. when putting these parts on should i use and gasket sealent material:

Thermoustat housing
Water inlet
Water Pump
Water Pump plate
Oil Pressure regulator
Timing gear cover
Side plate/lifter cover
feul pump valve cover
 

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
s-Moderator
Supporting Vendor
 
 
Joined
Oct 1, 2003
Messages
20,203
Location
MN
74fj40 said:
Ok, got a few more questions. when putting these parts on should i use and gasket sealent material:

Thermoustat housing
Water inlet
Water Pump
Water Pump plate
Oil Pressure regulator
Timing gear cover
Side plate/lifter cover
feul pump valve cover


Thermoustat housing- I have in the past, if yours is in good shape, clean and even, you should be fine with just the gasket..

Water inlet- same as above

Water Pump/Water Pump plate- I would run a bead around the water opening to block...

Oil Pressure regulator- gasket should be fine

Timing gear cover- cork gasket? get some gasket cement or rubber cement and glue it to the cover...should be fine with that. blue locktite the cover bolts.

Side plate/lifter cover - same as timing gear cover.

fuel pump-should not need it with this.

valve cover-F stamped steel cover? toss it, and get a 2F cover and mounting hardwear. save yourself the leaks. :)


Good luck!


-Steve
 
Last edited:

wesintl

 
 
Joined
Mar 14, 2003
Messages
4,523
Location
Between Here and There
Ive never used permatex on the water pump unless it's called for. If you have a clean surface and a new gasket you should be fine. course it shouldn't hurt. :)

make sure you put the correct screw in the correct spot on the timing gear cover. ;)
 

74fj40

 
Joined
Mar 12, 2005
Messages
2,781
Location
Littleton, Colorado
Steve - whats the difference in the mounting hardware?
Same gasket?
Thx

Poser said:
Thermoustat housing- I have in the past, if yours is in good shape, clean and even, you should be fine with just the gasket..

Water inlet- same as above

Water Pump/Water Pump plate- I would run a bead around the water opening to block...

Oil Pressure regulator- gasket should be fine

Timing gear cover- cork gasket? get some gasket cement or rubber cement and glue it to the cover...should be fine with that. blue locktite the cover bolts.

Side plate/lifter cover - same as timing gear cover.

fuel pump-should not need it with this.

valve cover-F stamped steel cover? toss it, and get a 2F cover and mounting hardwear. save yourself the leaks. :)


Good luck!


-Steve
 

74fj40

 
Joined
Mar 12, 2005
Messages
2,781
Location
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks Wes - My Mom picked up some wings this weekend....

wesintl said:
Ive never used permatex on the water pump unless it's called for. If you have a clean surface and a new gasket you should be fine. course it shouldn't hurt. :)

make sure you put the correct screw in the correct spot on the timing gear cover. ;)
 

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
s-Moderator
Supporting Vendor
 
 
Joined
Oct 1, 2003
Messages
20,203
Location
MN
74fj40 said:
Steve - whats the difference in the mounting hardware?
Same gasket?
Thx

The gasket is different from the stamped steel cover, and the rocker stud seals are different, as are the acorn style nuts that are used with the rocker stud seals. If you cannot locate the nuts, any flat washer that covers the rocker stud and a M8x1.25 nut combination will work.



Good luck!


-Steve
 
Joined
Dec 7, 2002
Messages
1,639
timing gear oiler

If you are doing anything with the timing plate (not the timing gear cover), be certain that you do not screw that brass timing gear oiler in too far so that it sticks out against the engine block. It will cause a big time oil leak if you do.
 
Top Bottom