Ok, few more questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, got a few more questions. when putting these parts on should i use and gasket sealent material:

Thermoustat housing
Water inlet
Water Pump
Water Pump plate
Oil Pressure regulator
Timing gear cover
Side plate/lifter cover
feul pump valve cover

water pump I am pretty sure that you should, don't know about everything else.

74fj40 said:
Ok, got a few more questions. when putting these parts on should i use and gasket sealent material:

Thermoustat housing
Water inlet
Water Pump
Water Pump plate
Oil Pressure regulator
Timing gear cover
Side plate/lifter cover
feul pump valve cover

Thermoustat housing- I have in the past, if yours is in good shape, clean and even, you should be fine with just the gasket..

Water inlet- same as above

Water Pump/Water Pump plate- I would run a bead around the water opening to block...

Oil Pressure regulator- gasket should be fine

Timing gear cover- cork gasket? get some gasket cement or rubber cement and glue it to the cover...should be fine with that. blue locktite the cover bolts.

Side plate/lifter cover - same as timing gear cover.

fuel pump-should not need it with this.

valve cover-F stamped steel cover? toss it, and get a 2F cover and mounting hardwear. save yourself the leaks. :)

Good luck!

-Steve

Last edited:
Ive never used permatex on the water pump unless it's called for. If you have a clean surface and a new gasket you should be fine. course it shouldn't hurt. :)

make sure you put the correct screw in the correct spot on the timing gear cover. ;)

Steve - whats the difference in the mounting hardware?
Same gasket?
Thx

Poser said:
Thermoustat housing- I have in the past, if yours is in good shape, clean and even, you should be fine with just the gasket..

Water inlet- same as above

Water Pump/Water Pump plate- I would run a bead around the water opening to block...

Oil Pressure regulator- gasket should be fine

Timing gear cover- cork gasket? get some gasket cement or rubber cement and glue it to the cover...should be fine with that. blue locktite the cover bolts.

Side plate/lifter cover - same as timing gear cover.

fuel pump-should not need it with this.

valve cover-F stamped steel cover? toss it, and get a 2F cover and mounting hardwear. save yourself the leaks. :)

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks Wes - My Mom picked up some wings this weekend....

wesintl said:
Ive never used permatex on the water pump unless it's called for. If you have a clean surface and a new gasket you should be fine. course it shouldn't hurt. :)

make sure you put the correct screw in the correct spot on the timing gear cover. ;)

74fj40 said:
Steve - whats the difference in the mounting hardware?
Same gasket?
Thx

The gasket is different from the stamped steel cover, and the rocker stud seals are different, as are the acorn style nuts that are used with the rocker stud seals. If you cannot locate the nuts, any flat washer that covers the rocker stud and a M8x1.25 nut combination will work.

Good luck!

-Steve

timing gear oiler

If you are doing anything with the timing plate (not the timing gear cover), be certain that you do not screw that brass timing gear oiler in too far so that it sticks out against the engine block. It will cause a big time oil leak if you do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom