Oily rear diff! OK? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Hi all:
While checking the latest potential purchase (100), I saw a noticeable amount of "wet" oily dirt coverage at the bottom of the rear diff (on the outside <G>), say maybe covering the bottom 1 or 2" or so.
I would have normally dismissed that as being simply in need of tightening the bolts or plug and -assuming that there is still oil in there- that it is not a big problem, but you guys put the fear of the great TLC god in me with your doomsday diagnostics of leaking oil and grease in the front end of 80s... So I feel obliged to extrapolate to any little leak anywhere now and must ask:
- Is this a trivial issue as I thought or the wicked indication of some devilishly expensive problem?
thanks much
Eric

[quote
-assuming that there is still oil in there- that it is not a big problem

That IS the problem.

Not doomsday, esp if the price is right. But the knuckle shouldn't have oil in it, only grease. If it does then the seal on that side is bad and now the diff oil and knuckle grease have mixed. This thins the grease to the point that it leaks on the housing and no longer protects the bearings. The easiest way to check is to remove the plug at the top of the knuckle housing (assuming the 100's still have one, don't know for sure) and dip a wire or other clean "dip stick" in to check the grease quality. If there's any oil mixed in, then you've got a messy job to clean up. You will have to replace the seal (~ $5) and maybe even the bearings depending on wear. But then again the dealer will try and charge an arm and a leg for this, and you may get the price down even more.

see, that's what I meant, everybody is kinda fixated on this Birf thing... I was talking about the rear diff.... <G>

(100 is IFS, no knuckle, btw...)

thanks though
Eric

:whoops:

wooh...spaced that one...I was answering a PM about this job on my cruiser and got the two stuck in my head. :slap: There now it's out.

So there is NO knucle? I got to find one locally to check out.

Noticed the same oily rear diff on my '99 (77.5k miles) today. It is not around the pumpkim however it is oliy down the center of the axle housing on both sides, very weird. It is easy to spot, just look under the rear of truck directly at the axle. I am still thinking about where it cam from? and is it going to continue and is bad or really bad?

uzj100

I made an appointment at the Stealer for Friday to check out this oil. The vehicle is under the Toyota certified program and I would like them to have a chance to fix it.

what I saw was on the Pun'kin, didn't notice anything on the sides

but UZ, I'm curious to hear how the dealer will handle this. Have you brought in other things to check under this certification program already? Did they put up a fight?

Eric

yikes, just realized that this oil could also come from the seal where the input yoke goes through the punkin'. That would not be good.
I don't remember seeing much oil on that side of the punkin though, seems like it was more on the rear-facing side...
E

IFS does have a knuckle, but it's a different design.

Anyway, check the fluid level first. See if the diff itself is leaking or the pinion seal is leaking. Make sure it's oil and not extra grease from the driveshaft.

After closer inspection last night, there is just a buildup of mud/dirt over oil that has been there for sometime. I could barely scrape it off with my finger nail. I am ditching the stealer trip at this time. I am having these diff fluids changed to synthetic tomorrow and will get them to check the level at that time, before they change it.

I rolled up to the dealer one monday morning (after wheeling on sunday) with a blown front diff. The actual carrier broke inside the differential. They fixed it at no charge to me, $3000 dollars worth of parts and labor. At that time my truck was muddy, arb front bumper, ome lift and bfg at's 285's. They did not mention any of it. Thank god they fixed it for free, my wife would have killed me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom