Oil transfer Kit.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, lets see what happens here...

Aeroquip numbers for oil transfer kit.

Hose fittings.

191321-8S
90 degree -8 female JIC elbow hose barb for 1/2" inside diameter hose

-OR-

4797-8B
Strait -8 female JIC hose barb for 1/2" inside diameter hose

Use two of 90's.

(I included the strait number just in case someone needs it.)

Transmission and transfer case fill plug fitting.

15.117-10-8
18mm x 1.5 x -8 male JIC
Metric 60 degree male/37 degree JIC male
-OR-
Caterpillar number 6V-4388
(same as above)

(will need to re-use or replace the fill plug crush gasket with this fitting)

You will need to locate a section(approx one foot, but get enough the first time, so you do not have to go to the store twice) of oil/fuel resistant 1/2" inside diameter hose long enough to tie the two fittings together.

SM420's and SM465 owners...

On my SM420, oil transfer was an issue. The 420 and 465 have a fill plug on the passenger side of the transmission, so making a similar hose kit required that I drill a hole in my PTO cover, and weld a -8 Male JIC fitting in the cover, at the correct level, which if you have your transmission full, you can drain it, and the high oil mark will be left apparent with residual oil,(if your vehicle has sat for a couple hours), or you can measure from the bottom of the case to the fill plug hole, and then measure that distance on the other side and mark it. I was lucky and made the first style work for me.

Either of these fittings will require that you drill a 3/4" hole in the PTO cover on the transmission, and weld the fitting in place.

I used the Caterpillar fitting,
8M-0505
JIC 37 degree male/Strait thread oring boss(STOR)

or you can use the Aeroquip number
202702-8-8S (same description as Cat fitting)

These are the only two fitting sources that I have info on in book form.
There are many other fitting makers(Parker, Weatherhead/Dana, etc.) that you could use.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

-Steve

***EDIT***

Should have posted this the first time around...

To locate a Aeroquip dealer near you, click this..

http://www.aeroquip.com/pages/training.html

Pick distributor locator at the top, enter your state in the field on the following page, leave the "all industrial and mobile" in the type field and hit go...Should bring you to a list of people in your area/region.

Hope this helps!

-Steve

what you had happen is backwards of what is suppose to happen when the seal goes. Its suppose to overfill the t-case and drop the level in the transmission........so what you saw shouldn't have been from a bad seal. what it was from I dunno

There is the chance I have it backwards in my mind......someone correct me.

[quote author=BigSur link=board=1;threadid=11367;start=msg103395#msg103395 date=1076540427]
Well i actually took my rig to a local shop to have them check the transmission fluid. When he removed the filler plug of the transmission (i was standing right next to him under the truck) it started pooring out so he capped it very quickly. So then he checked the transfer case and when he stuck his finger in to check the level it was bone dry. Do i had him put in the 1 bottle of gear oil i had with me. When i got home i put in another 2 bottles. Well i went driving around that day and when i came out the next morning there was alot of gear oil underneath.

Hope that helps.
[/quote]

I was told the other way, and have seen it like that, but who knows..

On OEM trans and t-case, I would take the time and change out the seal, and take care of the situation, but on my 420, the only option was the hose trick, as there just does not seem to be the same tolerances used to align the trans and t-case with that 420/toy three speed case adapter...

Oh well...

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=11367;start=msg103513#msg103513 date=1076552140]
what you had happen is backwards of what is suppose to happen when the seal goes. Its suppose to overfill the t-case and drop the level in the transmission........so what you saw shouldn't have been from a bad seal. what it was from I dunno

There is the chance I have it backwards in my mind......someone correct me.
[/quote]

I know it's counter-intuitive, because the Xcase seems lower than tranny, but I think the problem actually is that the Xcase pumps the oil into the tranny. I don't know for certain (don't have that problem, yet), but that's the way I've read it elsewhere, including on MAF website (their kit is $55, and has pretty much what poser lists).

Oh yeah it leaked, but I replaced both the trany and t-case with rebuilt units I had. 1st gear was also missing a FEW teeth on the trany.....it made BAD BAD noises.......but it keep going ;)

In the last few years I have managed to stop ALL the leaks on all but the 45 wagon(I havn't even tried), replacing seals, gaskets ect......alot of work but most of it was done when I was fixing something else

[quote author=Jman link=board=1;threadid=11367;start=msg103317#msg103317 date=1076531533]
Pimpster, is it just me, or is the kit that Cletus used leaking just a bit? ;)
[/quote]

see I had a feeling I was wrong and I'll trust you on that :) But in looking at my hillbilly set up on the 45......the pump is set up to pump back to the trany, not that I trust how he had it set up, but I recall having to pump it back to the trany as it was low.......I dunno?

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=11367;start=msg103515#msg103515 date=1076552358]
I was told the other way, and have seen it like that, but who knows..

On OEM trans and t-case, I would take the time and change out the seal, and take care of the situation, but on my 420, the only option was the hose trick, as there just does not seem to be the same tolerances used to align the trans and t-case with that 420/toy three speed case adapter...

Oh well...
[/quote]

You may be right too John. Perhaps on three-speed trannies, that is how it works..

On my '68 three speed, the transmission leaks back into the transfer case. On my '85 4 speed (split transfer case), the transfer leaks forward into the transmission. The MAF hose kit on the 4 speed split case works, returning the overfill to the transfer (gravity feed). To get it from the 3 speed transfer fill up to the transmission fill would require a pump, which is what I see on the photos posted. So far I've just dealt with it by occasionally draining the surplus from the transfer and adding more to the transmission. I have no good explanatiion for why the leaks go one way on the 3 speed case and the other way on the split case, but I do have concurrent experience with both right now.

Seems to be the same to what is has been posted out here...

Should make John feel better.. ;) (see man, your not nutz...well, not totally..)

Thanks for the info OB...

Does oil ever flow up the tube?
A popular theory seems to be that the transfer case is pressurized.
If that is the case,this would make the problem worse.
just a thought.

All gearboxes have breathers. This could play out if a breather were plugged with crud...

To locate a Aeroquip dealer near you, click this..

http://www.aeroquip.com/pages/training.html

Pick distributor locator at the top, enter your state in the field on the following page, leave the "all industrial and mobile" in the type field and hit go...Should bring you to a list of people in your area/region.

Hope this helps!

-Steve

thanks :) i can call of my apointment with the head doctor............for today :)

BTW my ultra rare pump kit is going on Ebay ::)

[quote author=OswaldtheBold link=board=1;threadid=11367;start=msg103580#msg103580 date=1076556535]
On my '68 three speed, the transmission leaks back into the transfer case. On my '85 4 speed (split transfer case), the transfer leaks forward into the transmission. The MAF hose kit on the 4 speed split case works, returning the overfill to the transfer (gravity feed). To get it from the 3 speed transfer fill up to the transmission fill would require a pump, which is what I see on the photos posted. So far I've just dealt with it by occasionally draining the surplus from the transfer and adding more to the transmission. I have no good explanatiion for why the leaks go one way on the 3 speed case and the other way on the split case, but I do have concurrent experience with both right now.
[/quote]

List it as such, and I am sure that it will get you a MINT!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom