1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil transfer Kit....

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by BigSur, Feb 11, 2004.

1. BigSur

BigSur

2. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    AFAIK, yes, Spector "might" have one. Or you can make it up yourself. I have the MAF one, turns out I didn't need it, but installed it anyway.........just because. Nice product and works/fits perfect.

When I got my fj45 it had a home made version, I'll have to dig up some pics as it was a real piece of "work" ;) used a gear oil hand pump, in the morning you just give it a few pumps and your good for the day............

ah here is is.....check out this hillbilly set up.....
    [​IMG]

3. BigSur

BigSur

Nice hill Billy set up. Do you happen to know the size of the fill plugs? I am thinking of heading to Home Depot and getting two elbow fittings to screw in and some clear hose and clamp the hose onto the fittings.

4. Isotel

Isotel

Media:
    Albums:
    tell me if it works!, i was thinking about that, but everytime i go to home depot for anything for the cruiser, they dont have the right size and i end up buying some more tools..

5. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Home depot most probably will not have them, as they are a metric thread plug 18x1.5mm thread..IIRC.

I will be back to work in about an hour or so, and can get you a Caterpillar part number for the items I used.

Please post exactly what you have for trans/t-case and year of vehicle..

Thanks!

-Steve

***EDIT***

I had stated that the thread on the fill plugs was 16mm x 1.5, it is in fact 18mm x 1.5...

Sorry, now back to normal broadcasting..

6. Isotel

Isotel

Media:
    Albums:
    mine is a 76 w all the orig 4 speed stuff..

7. Jman

Jman

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=11367;start=msg103225#msg103225 date=1076518477]
    AFAIK, yes, Spector "might" have one. Or you can make it up yourself. I have the MAF one, turns out I didn't need it, but installed it anyway.........just because. Nice product and works/fits perfect.

When I got my fj45 it had a home made version, I'll have to dig up some pics as it was a real piece of "work" ;) used a gear oil hand pump, in the morning you just give it a few pumps and your good for the day............

ah here is is.....check out this hillbilly set up.....
    [​IMG]
    [/quote]

Pimpster, is it just me, or is the kit that Cletus used leaking just a bit? ;)

8. drohweder

drohweder

1976 FJ55 with original 4 speed. How necessary is this? I just serviced my tans and t-case and an appropriate amount of fluid seemed to drain from each place? Is this a "just in case" type of mod? Seems like an easy and inexpensive addition if it saves you from running dry.

9. BigSur

BigSur

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=11367;start=msg103313#msg103313 date=1076531021]
    Home depot most probably will not have them, as they are a metric thread plug 16x1.5mm thread..IIRC.

I will be back to work in about an hour or so, and can get you a Caterpillar part number for the items I used.

Please post exactly what you have for trans/t-case and year of vehicle..

Thanks!

-Steve
    [/quote]

Hey Steve, i have a 83' FJ60. I just checked the transmission fluid and she is full to the rim, i then checked the transfercase level....and well i had to add almost 3 bottles of gear oil.

10. drohweder

drohweder

If it was three 1Liter bottles then your t-case was totally dry! As I recall, my t-case hold somewhere around 1.7 L. Trany 3.1 L

11. BigSur

BigSur

[quote author=drohweder link=board=1;threadid=11367;start=msg103324#msg103324 date=1076533289]
    If it was three 1Liter bottles then your t-case was totally dry! As I recall, my t-case hold somewhere around 1.7 L. Trany 3.1 L
    [/quote]

Ya, she was pretty dry alright. I felt an immediate difference once i put that gear oil in there. Shifted beautifully.

12. drohweder

drohweder

Did you have a visible leak or did it just all push up into your tranny. Is it some sort of 1 way valve?

Let me know what part you find and I may rig one up for peace of mind over the weekend. thanks

13. Jman

Jman

[quote author=drohweder link=board=1;threadid=11367;start=msg103319#msg103319 date=1076532576]
    1976 FJ55 with original 4 speed. How necessary is this? I just serviced my tans and t-case and an appropriate amount of fluid seemed to drain from each place? Is this a "just in case" type of mod? Seems like an easy and inexpensive addition if it saves you from running dry.
    [/quote]

I think it's only needed if the seal between the two units fails--putting the kit in is a cheap and easy fix compared to replacing the seal.

14. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    Bigsur-

When you removed the fill plug from the trans, did oil pour out of the fill hole, or was it just full?

I would look around to make sure you do not have a seal leaking...but if you have not had a significant amount of gear oil in the t-case for a while, the area that it is leaking from may not be obvious..and you could have larger issues afoot now..

I have most of the Aeroquip part numbers together, I will post this info shortly...

-Steve

15. BigSur

BigSur

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=11367;start=msg103382#msg103382 date=1076539403]
    Bigsir-

When you removed the fill plug from the trans, did oil pour out of the fill hole, or was it just full?

I would look around to make sure you do not have a seal leaking...but if you have not had a significant amount of gear oil in the t-case for a while, the area that it is leaking from may not be obvious..and you could have larger issues afoot now..

I have most of the Aeroquip part numbers together, I will post this info shortly...

-Steve
    [/quote]

Well i actually took my rig to a local shop to have them check the transmission fluid. When he removed the filler plug of the transmission (i was standing right next to him under the truck) it started pooring out so he capped it very quickly. So then he checked the transfer case and when he stuck his finger in to check the level it was bone dry. Do i had him put in the 1 bottle of gear oil i had with me. When i got home i put in another 2 bottles. Well i went driving around that day and when i came out the next morning there was alot of gear oil underneath.

Hope that helps.

16. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    Do you still have your skid plate on? Is the gear oil that leaked under the truck residual from when the guy pulled the fill plug on the tranny? Have you lowered the level in the transmission yet? If not, I would.

Have you noticed any gear oil leaking around where the drive shaft fastens to the t-case, or anyplace else?

17. BigSur

BigSur

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=11367;start=msg103405#msg103405 date=1076541752]
    Do you still have your skid plate on? Is the gear oil that leaked under the truck residual from when the guy pulled the fill plug on the tranny? Have you lowered the level in the transmission yet? If not, I would.

Have you noticed any gear oil leaking around where the drive shaft fastens to the t-case, or anyplace else?
    [/quote]

No i had previously taken the skid plate off to make it easier to get to the transmission. No its not residual from when the guy did it. I have even parked on both sides of my driveway to make sure i wasn't nuts. I have checked the leaked fluid on both occasions and it is for sure the gear oil. The only other place i thought it was coming from was the speedo cable. But it isn't. I even put a seal on there to make sure.

18. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    So, along with a transfer issue, I gather that we have a leak someplace.

You say you looked at the speedo cable area, is that area wet? If so, I would bet the rear output seal is leaking...

19. s79bj40

s79bj40

i'll ride that bet too. Get the hose kit and the oil from the t-case will stop being sucked into the gearbox. It also partly aleiviates pressure problems with overfilling so you wont be blowing oil out the handbrake drum.

20. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=s79bj40 link=board=1;threadid=11367;start=msg103424#msg103424 date=1076544349]
    i'll ride that bet too. Get the hose kit and the oil from the t-case will stop being sucked into the gearbox. It also partly aleiviates pressure problems with overfilling so you wont be blowing oil out the handbrake drum.
    [/quote]

60 series parking brake is on the rear axle, as is 8/80-84 40 series.

:beer: