Oil suggestions for 2010 with 107K? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought this with 102K and the dealer service advisor strongly suggested standard Toyota oil(non synthetic) every 5K miles. He didn't recommend synthetic. My first change only cost me $46 parts and labor so I wanted to know if I should stay on this track or make the switch to synthetic now? This is a DD vehicle. Also, any benefit to adding small amount of Seafoam or Mystery oil before next change to clean out any old accumulated sludge? Thanks.

TGMO - Toyota Genuine Motor Oil 0W-20 Synthetic. The only choice.

HTH

So I shouldn't use Mobile 1 full synthetic in my 2010 LX? Last time I got it changed I took it to the Toyota store and that's what they put in it.

Toyota oil could be Mobil One, who knows? My 4Runner with 278K uses Mobil One. Mobil One is good stuff.

Mobil 1 is what I use on 2016 LC. I have 22 year old T100 and only ever put Mobil 1 in it. But any good oil changed every 5K should present no issue just my opinion.

Mobil 1 is great and I use it in my 80 series. For the 200 I will stick to to the Toyota oil. See this thread for more info:

Toyota 0W-20 for the win. I am sure Mobil makes it for Toyota, so whichever you can get cheaper is the way to go. Intervals around 8k.

I got my 2008 when it was 110k and it's at 130k now. Always used mobil1 0w-20. No issues. I'm not convinced that using mobil1 will shorten the life of my vehicle. It's an oil that I can find almost anywhere in CA and it's cheap af.

Toyota Sythentic is like saying the Oil is MILSPEC. The Toyota Synthetic will have the minimum requirements for the motor per Toyota. However, that is not saying that Toyota Synthetic is THE BEST. Other high end synthetics like AMSOIL will meet those requirements as long as they have the same oil weight/ratings, but will likely exceed in shear ratings and detergent performance. I personally run AMSOIL 0w-20 XL Boosted Synthetic and change it every 10,000 miles.

The question is not so much about oil but about whether you should be using that service dept. Toyota does not sell dino oil for that engine in the correct viscosity. They sell only synthetic in 0-20. If the advisor said not to use synthetic, he didn't read the owner's manual and doesn't even know his own oil. The oil question is easy and answered several times above: Toyota 0-20. Find another dealer or another service advisor.

I would not use additives like Seafoam or Mystery Oil. These 5.7L engines don't sludge up and don't need additives.

The 3UR-FE, and the whole family of UR engines are low stress, highly durable motors. No particular high grade motor oil is absolutely necessary. 100k miles is nothing to these motors that have withstood the test of time and miles.

Fluid fanboys will tell you only __ brand will work. And attempt to second guess viscosity and change intervals.

Really, any oil that meets the viscosity and standards specifications will work. Just as importantly, keep to Toyota's recommended intervals. If you follow Toyota's oil requirements and change intervals, which are all very conservative validated, your engine will live a long and healthy life.

I personally use the cheap dino oil, as long as you service regularly, you won't be running into any issues.... I'm good with the stupid tax... Not saying conventional is as good as synthetic, but these are cruisers people..... People all around the world use god knows what type of fuel and oil and these machines just keep on tickin....

thanks to all for your replies. I will definitely go Toyota 0W-20 synthetic . I've always run high quality synthetics in previous Lexus's and Japanese vehicles I've owned over the years and it's never let me down.

Toyota synthetic is surprisingly cheap at many of the online dealer stores.. about $8/qt the last time I bought I think. the issue can be shipping costs. One of these is in my city so it’s easy to run by and use will-call.. making toyota 0w-20 really cost effective.

If I didn’t have that situation I’d be shopping sales at a parts store and running mobil 1 0-20, due to my long history running their products in various cars over the years.

Fwiw the toyota stuff comes in the exact same shape bottle as M1 only in different colors, and toyota not being a lubricant company it totally makes sense they would farm out production of this stuff.

Toyota synthetic is surprisingly cheap at many of the online dealer stores.. about $8/qt the last time I bought I think. the issue can be shipping costs. One of these is in my city so it’s easy to run by and use will-call.. making toyota 0w-20 really cost effective.

If I didn’t have that situation I’d be shopping sales at a parts store and running mobil 1 0-20, due to my long history running their products in various cars over the years.

Fwiw the toyota stuff comes in the exact same shape bottle as M1 only in different colors, and toyota not being a lubricant company it totally makes sense they would farm out production of this stuff.

I've done some research on this over the last few years, and my conclusion is that the Toyota Genuine Motor Oil (TGMO) 0W-20 that is sold by Toyota in the U.S. is manufactured by ExxonMobil in the U.S. from mostly the same oil as is used in Mobil 1, but with an additive package that is shipped in from Japan.

The label on the TGMO bottle hints at part of this mix of U.S. oil and Japanese additives:

TGMOLabel_13DEC13_zpsa1008640.jpg

TGMOLabelDetail_13DEC13_zps6d5aec22.jpg

ExxonMobil also publishes a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for TGMO 0W-20:

ExxonMobil TGMO MSDS

MSDS data are infamously inexact when specifying exact components, but when one compares the TGMO MSDS with the Mobil 1 MSDS one can see some significant differences in things like viscocity:

ExxonMobil Mobil 1 MSDS

I'm not knocking Mobil 1 in general, it's obviously a quality synthetic. But for me, in my Toyota engine, I'm going to trust that what Toyota has specificaslly formulated for our engines with TGMO is going to be better in the long run than the more generic Mobil 1 formulation.

HTH

I don’t know when Toyota went to a 10k oil change interval. I used to do mobile 1 at 5k on my other vehicles. Now I have switched to amsoil signature series 0w-20 and follow the factory oil change interval. With out getting into a “best oil” debate, I am confident the amsoil ss changed at 10k will equal to or better then my previous interval at 5k.

I don’t know when Toyota went to a 10k oil change interval. I used to do mobile 1 at 5k on my other vehicles. Now I have switched to amsoil signature series 0w-20 and follow the factory oil change interval. With out getting into a “best oil” debate, I am confident the amsoil ss changed at 10k will equal to or better then my previous interval at 5k.

Used oil analysis could confirm this definitively.

If I still had my other vehicles I would. For those who service their vehicles at the dealerships, their oil varies by brand. Dealerships use bulk oil and it is heavily dictated by price. The oil just has to meet Toyota specs.

I am thinking about doing one on my 17 after the next oil change. I will start another thread and keep everyone posted. I am 99 percent sure it’s a waste of money for me to do it...because it will probably tell me the oil is still good, but I am curious as well.

Has anyone running Toyota oil that’s following the factory 10k changes done an oil analysis before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom