oil pump question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I dont have my haynes manual yet but I was wondering if I can take out the oil pump without anything getting messed up like the distributor timing. I had water and coolant mixing and I pulled the pan and cleaned therod brngs and pan, I want to pull the pump out to clean it but im not sure if ill mess the timing up. thanks for your help.

The camshaft turns the distributor, which rotates the oil pump. There is not any reason why you could not drop the oil pump, as there is not a timing issue with the distributor shaft to the oil pump, only between the cam and the distributor.

I do not understand the water and coolant mixing statement. Water and coolant mixing is normal. Are you talking about getting coolant/anti-freeze in your oil? How was this happening, and what have you done to remedy?

What condition were your rod bearings in? Could you see where the bearing material had been worn away?

Sounds like blown head gasket. Maybe.

Yes Dave, it could be a blown head gasket. How about an oil cooler causing this? He did not mention the year or what was causing this, I did not want to assume anything, and was going to ask more questions, after I got the reply.

-Steve

sorry dudes, I meant oil and water mixing. I bought the fj62 with (hopefully only) a blown head gskt. reason why i think its a head gskt is because the oil and water is mixing and theres steam and smoke coming out the tailpipe and theres chocolate milk in the radiator. the rod bearings looked like they were brand new, as in just rebuilt. i was askin bout the distrbtor because i was takin out the oilpump and i heard somethin chatter like the distrbtr or somethin, my nissan 4cyl truck oilpump came to mind, if you pull the nissan pump out the spindle trhat drives the dist will fall out. anyways, i tightened the oilpump back. but if you quys say that i can pull the pump without distrubing anything then ill pull it tomorrow. thanks everyone, my manual is in the mail.

oil cooler? didnt check but do any landcruisers have a stock oil cooler?

I assume since you have a '62 that's a 3F engine, which I am not familiar with, so I can't comment on the dizzy/oil pump.

Poser, I'm not familiar with the oil cooler, since AFAIK, the F doesn't have one. Where does that fit in? You sure wonder, if that engine was just rebuilt, then what was it that they put together wrong!?

yeah, what the hell did they do to my 62? well im bout to see as soon as i get time to tear the top end apart

A couple of thoughts...antifreeze in your oil will destroy your main and rod bearings pretty short order. You should be fine dropping the oil pump. Once you pull your head you'll definitely want to have the head inspected/maga fluxed for cracks and also for warpage. square the head away put in a new gasket and if you still get antifreeze in your sump well....sbc comes to mind. Good luck hope its just the HG/head.

do they have kits for sbc conversions for my 62? its not an option though, just checkin.

[quote author=IDave

Poser, I'm not familiar with the oil cooler, since AFAIK, the F doesn't have one. Where does that fit in? You sure wonder, if that engine was just rebuilt, then what was it that they put together wrong!?

Here is a link to SOR, which shows how the oil cooler is plumbed in on 2F and 3F engines. On other pieces of equipment that I have worked on, engine oil coolers have leaked coolant into the oil, washing the bearings away...While I have not seen a Land Cruiser oil cooler fail, there could always be a first..

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat055.tam?xax=31951&page.ctx=cat055.tam

There could be many things that have caused this, but like you say, being that it has recently been put together, it sure makes you wonder...

cruiserka....

Figured anything out with this yet??

Thanks, Poser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom