Oil Pressure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1997 80's series 69K miles, the oil pressure gauge moves between 1/4 and 3/4 depending on RPM, at idle it is around 1/4 or just under. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Dave.

Sounds about right to me.

I am assuming you are talking about the two lines on the gauge. you should ideally never go above the top line or below the bottom but many cruisers seem to drop a little below the bottom line at idle once they are warm. Some believe that using thicker oil will fix this, but Dan used thicker oil and look where that got him.

Simon,

I doubt that 15w-40 oil caused my oil galley plug failure. :rolleyes:

But, just to be sure, I've shipped you a case of 20w-50 to confirm my theory :flipoff2:

:cheers: D-

my 96 only has 59000 miles on her and when warm my gauge does indeed drop below the lowest hash mark.....

i am currently running 10w30 mobil 1 but it still drops just like the dino 5w30 the dealer used before i changed to the mobile 1.

no noise,no startup clatter(and sometimes it sits for a week or more between starts)but dangit that gauge shows a little lower than i would like :mad: oh well, i will just keep it changed and at the full mark and ride on.......

doug

Doug,

10W-30 M1 and 5W-30 dino are the same weight (it's the last number that indicates weight). My gauge runs the same as you describe. I tried 10W-40 synthetic and it does pick the needle up a tad.

But ever since Dan's had is woes, I've started to think that I should go back to 5W-30. I know it's irrational, but the LC gods probably want tribute now and I really don't want to pay up. Ah, hell, I'll just take my chances.

Tom ::)

[quote author=DJSH link=board=2;threadid=8653;start=msg74135#msg74135 date=1071099126]
1997 80's series 69K miles, the oil pressure gauge moves between 1/4 and 3/4 depending on RPM, at idle it is around 1/4 or just under. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Dave.
[/quote]

normal, moms 97 has been just like yours sense it was new, kinda hard to get used to coming from a 2f or 3fe where the needle move very little........if it did the same as the FZJ i would be worried.

I actually ran 20w50 in my cruiser this summer....worked great (of course, I have the mighty 3FE).

I wouldn't think of touching the stuff if it gets chilly.

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like we are ok. On another note, how do you feel about synthetic oil?

[quote author=DJSH link=board=2;threadid=8653;start=msg74348#msg74348 date=1071119819]
Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like we are ok. On another note, how do you feel about synthetic oil?
[/quote]

Ahhhhh Nooooooo. Don't start this thread again!!!!!!!!!

;) ::)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom