Oil filter bracket question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

garfieldthecat

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi fellow MUDders,

I am installing an '84 engine block into my 7/82 FJ60, which currently has a '79 engine in it. In cleaning up the parts for the engine swap I learned that my engine oil filter bracket (PN# 15609-61010) does not have oil pressure switch threads under the base of the oil filter mount threads. My truck has the oil filter bracket as pictured in the EPC below. The oil pressure switch is mounted to a bolt that attaches the oil cooler to the oil filter bracket

In contrast, the '84 engine block came with a filter mount bracket that DOES have threads and an oil pressure switch under the base of the oil filter mount threads (I assume its PN# 15609-61011, which replaced PN# 15609-61010). I have attached a photo of that bracket as well.

I was thinking of using the '84 oil filter bracket and cooler when I installed the updated engine. However, I noticed that the wire on my 7/82 truck that connects to the oil pressure switch would probably not reach the additional 6 inches or so to the switch location on the '84 bracket.

My question is, should I use the oil filter bracket that is on the truck now (a possible '79 oil filter mount) or use the oil filter bracket for the '84 engine? (I had wanted to mount the oiling parts on the engine while it was still outside of the truck so it could be dropped in over a weekend).

If I go with the bracket in the truck now, I will need to remove it from the engine and clean it up prior to installing it on the '84 engine prior to getting the engine in the truck.

If I use the '84 bracket, I would need to cut and extend the wire from the wiring harness to the oil pressure switch prior to installing the '84 engine into the truck.

I guess I am trying to get an idea of what would be best: take a little more time to clean a part and install it right before the engine swap or take a little more time to extend the wiring for the oil pressure switch (my concern with this being shorts or other wiring malfunctions).

All thoughts welcome.

Thanks

oil filter mount without switch threads.PNG
oil filter mount with switch threads.PNG

If you need to rewrite the sender it’s very easy. 18g wire. Nothing special. Just remember don’t add the wire to the side prong, you’ll fry out the gauge if you do. The wire goes to the center round nub.

Awesome! Thank you so much for this advice. I'll take a closer look at the wire once the engine is out. Much appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom