Oil consumption, 1 quart every 1,000 miles (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If my math is right, it sounds like the oil consumption was cut in half by replacing the PCV valve.

I found this on the interweb, reads like was written by a bot, but interesting nonetheless...

"The 3UR-FE Engine Problems and Reliability
The 3UR-FE is the most reliable and durable engine for all UR engine family. The Toyota made over 1.3 million kilometers of durability testing for this engine. In reality, the 3UR-Fe can run more than 400,000 miles (650,000 km) smoothly with regular maintenance with using high-quality fuel and oil.

But nothing is perfect and this engine too. The 3UR-FE has a problem with coking of the piston oil rings which caused high oil consumption. After that, the oil consumption increases over time. To avoid this problem, use only the recommended high-quality oil and watch the oil level. The 3UR-FE crankcase ventilation system sensor fails hugely often, and electronic throttle system ETCS-i is not as reliable as it should be. The problem with water pump is also found in this engine. Like other UR engines, the 3UR-FE has a leaking water pump with short life about 60,000 miles (100,000 km)."

It's probably worth taking out and hosing out with brake cleaner. Takes only a few minutes.

If my math is right, it sounds like the oil consumption was cut in half by replacing the PCV valve.

I found this on the interweb, reads like was written by a bot, but interesting nonetheless...

"The 3UR-FE Engine Problems and Reliability
The 3UR-FE is the most reliable and durable engine for all UR engine family. The Toyota made over 1.3 million kilometers of durability testing for this engine. In reality, the 3UR-Fe can run more than 400,000 miles (650,000 km) smoothly with regular maintenance with using high-quality fuel and oil.

But nothing is perfect and this engine too. The 3UR-FE has a problem with coking of the piston oil rings which caused high oil consumption. After that, the oil consumption increases over time. To avoid this problem, use only the recommended high-quality oil and watch the oil level. The 3UR-FE crankcase ventilation system sensor fails hugely often, and electronic throttle system ETCS-i is not as reliable as it should be. The problem with water pump is also found in this engine. Like other UR engines, the 3UR-FE has a leaking water pump with short life about 60,000 miles (100,000 km)."

Thanks 89cruiserfj62 for the research and information. This cruiser had a very thorough maintenance record and it had only one owner before me who drove it 8 years at 129K miles. I did not find a water pump replacement in the record and I replaced it at 135K miles. The oil consumption is not a major deal breaker for me but I just want to get to the bottom of this. I wonder if other 200 series owners who has high mileage (150K or higher) has experienced what I have observed.

I just bet it’s plugged up again. At least you need to take it out and clean it that’s why you’re still using the oil. JMHO

It's a relatively cheap part, I'll see if the dealer charges an arm and a leg before I ask them to replace it. Otherwise I can replace it myself again. I only tightened "fairly tight" not VERY tight. I have a torque wrench, does anyone know how much I need to tighten it?

It's probably worth taking out and hosing out with brake cleaner. Takes only a few minutes.

I plan on getting the engine flushed at my next oil change, which will be this week or next.

I'll keep everyone her posted. Thanks!

Put some of that mystery oil cleaner in now and then when you get it in for your oil change in the engine flush it’ll work even better might’ve loosened up some stuff so when I drain it a lot of good s*** comes out and then I clean it and put in new 0W 20 it won’t be a problem if you’re a little over fall for a while

Hello Everyone,

Sorry I have been busy the last few months. Here are the results. In the past 3 months (2686 miles) I added 1166ml of 0w-20 oil.

2/23/19160550Replaced engine oil 0w-20 and engine flush (crankcase)
3/11/19161257Added 600ml of 0-20w
4/2/19162100added 466ml oil
5/14/19163236Added 100ml

And my results from Blackstone Labs

Clean out your PCV valve one more time I think you’re probably good to go that’s only one quart in 2400 miles? And in the future change your oil every 5000 miles Great oil analysis results

Clean the vacuum hose for the PCV as well and make sure it isn't "coaked up". This can happen. I do wish the previous owner would have changed the oil more often.

Steve

I would go to a thicker oil, I use high mileage Mobil 1... for the LC...
we have the same issue on our Ford work vehicles. we swapped to a thicker oil against their advice... thin oil IMO is about fuel mileage.... .. ford says excessive idle will cause oil consumption ...FYI..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom