Oil Catch Can Install (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another 300 miles worth of oil. [2020 LC HE @ 1400+ miles]

9578AE52-06ED-41BF-8CF6-112C6951B517.jpeg

Catch Can on Landcruiser is one thing that always dosent get one straight answer. Initially after buying the car, I read catch can and pre fuel filter are essential mods so I looked and found mechanics having differing opinions. Some said in this part of the world (Europe) we dont need prefilter as fuel standards are good. OK so left that.
Then kept looking for catch cans, its still something I couldnot decide on. Recently watching something got this study of catch can comparisions 'comparative performance of 12 crankcase oil mist separators'. It concludes that CF type of filters are good (provent system) but the lines after the highlighted text seem to say otherwise.
In all this confusion I left it to Toyota and assumed they would have thought of all this and developed a reliable engine that can function without catch can but sway in and out of it sometimes :)

1642795761047.png

Pulled the intake on my 100 at 100k and 200k to pm the starter. Intake was squeaky clean. I checked carefully because the oil was double filled at one point. Is this engine going to be any different?

Intake on my old BMW V8 was full of oil at 100k, didn't seem to be hurting it any.

Reactions: Raj
I have one on my 470 and pull about 1/3 of a cup of oil every oil change or so. For me that oil is lowering the octane (even the slightest is not good) and getting oil in the intake which I dont like. I have an extra can sitting around I have been wanting to install in my 570. Needed? Absolutely not.

For the 'if toyota didnt add it from the factory its not needed" guys"...They wouldn't add them well for emissions and because the house wife who will buy this will not be smart enough to check it.

For the 'if toyota didnt add it from the factory its not needed" guys"...They wouldn't add them well for emissions and because the house wife who will buy this will not be smart enough to check it.

So do you check the octane of every tank of fuel you run?

Have any idea how infinitesimally small the impact of 1/3 cup of oil is to the octane of 5000 miles worth of fuel?

Aware that this is a reasonably complex emissions and fuel injection system and Toyota probably designed that system to be tolerant of burning 1/3 cup of oil over 500 gallons of fuel and still last more hundreds of thousands of miles than you’ll actually end up owning it?

Cyclonic catch cans are often factory fitted or added via aftermarket STC to piston aircraft. Airflow for the cyclone is provided by high pressure baffle air or dry vacuum pump exhaust. Primary reason is to keep the belly clean(er), secondary is to minimize oil loss from blow-by mist as the oil drains from the can back to the sump. Volatiles and non condensing gases route to the slipstream via the vertical pipe at the firewall.

We don’t do PCV on airplanes because of the risk of pressurizing the crankcase if water vapor freezes somewhere in the lines. Also on this airplane manifold pressure is usually higher than ambient (it’s a turbo) so PCV wouldn’t work in cruise, and even normally aspirated airplanes frequently fly entire flight profiles at full throttle until descent so there isn’t much available manifold vacuum.

A2AD71A9-AD42-440D-8BD8-AB8F7A51DFF7.jpeg

That said I’m not seeing a huge need for this in a road vehicle. The fuel dilution is de minimis. Maybe 50mls in 5000 miles. That’s less than 1/100th of a percent. And valve stems get gunked without PCV misting, between fuel deposits and cylinder wall lube blowback.

The catch cans look bling and probably won’t do any harm.

Last edited:
I did this on my Merc Benz as the oil was introduced before the turbo and I didn't want the oil on the turbo. It's not going to hurt but I can see that oil can is right were my air compressor is. I don't see any significant gain doing it on this engine.

So is the consensus don't **** with it?
Im hoping for a half million miles out of mine.

I thought this was drawback free and easy to do?
Sorry for the redundant question im sure its been talked about at length.

So is the consensus don't f*** with it?
Im hoping for a half million miles out of mine.

I thought this was drawback free and easy to do?
Sorry for the redundant question im sure its been talked about at length.

On the 3UR-FE pre port injected gas online engine as sold in the 200 here in the US I see no value, in fact negative due to the cost of the mod and more so by adding another failure point…

On diesel 200’s with no cleaning of the inlet valves I can see some benefit, as such I can see this as a popular mod in Australia and countries with diesel 200’s.

Last edited:
Change the super-cheap PCV valve every 50k (overkill) to 75k and you won't have issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom