Official Project Thread for Mikesta's 1964 FJ45 LV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mikesta

Never decruiserfied
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.showmerents.com
I am cutting off the Motor thread and starting a new "official" thread on the project. I have just updated my website as of 05/29/05 and will continue to update it as I go. I will post an occasional picture here and there.

Here is the first one to kick off this thread.
MVC-872F.JPG

05/30/05 update..

Stripped the frame down to axles... those will come off this week and be trailered off to the blaster/coater for paint.

My 15 month old was very helpful inspecting the frame and even wrenched a little.

More pics here

lookin good, I sure hope you dont decide too sell this project. it will be a great learning experience

Last edited:
Look what the cat drug in

Talked to Jason *the guy who sold me the LV* the other day and he said that he found some stuff.

Tonight I went over there and picked these up.
MVC-017F.JPG
MVC-015F.JPG
MVC-014F.JPG

Here are some more... these are the rear windows... they all have the symbol from the first picture on them.
MVC-013F.JPG
MVC-016F.JPG
MVC-012F.JPG

Not as fast as Buck's thread, but with his help and other research I am able to start collecting some tools to do the job.

My shopping list contains:

2 stage Air Compressor 7hp+ (for sand blasting/powertools/painting) EST. $600 (paid $300 used)
100+ Pound Sand Blaster EST. $500 (paid $325 used)
3 ton Jack and Jack Stands EST. $100 (paid $74 new)
Homemade, storable PVC Paint booth EST. $300
Metal shear and brake EST. $950
Rotisserri According to Buck.. EST. $200
110v Argon mig welder EST. $650
Paint Gun and 100' air hose EST. $300 (paid $60 used)
Air wrench EST $?(paid $100)
Bed for the garage because my wife is going to be pissed EST. Priceless
Just kidding... my wife is cool!
Misc. Items *Grinder $96* *Parts Washer $60* *Engine Hoist $120* *Engine stand $50* *Engine hoist Load ballencer $55**drill press $100*EST. $700--$249 Remaining

Total cost of tools that I get to keep! EST. $4,000
I will save that much if I blast and paint myself.

There may be other things that I need to add. Please post if you see that I'm missing something.

This will allow me to save money on Uhaul trailers, moving the frame body to be sandblasted/powedercoated etc. I will also be saving money in the paint booth, sandblasting etc. The sandblaster is probably the most frivoulous item that I will purchase, but Im sure it and the air compressor will pay for themselves with my kids bed and the LV. It will require more time, but that will give me more ownership of the restore... which I enjoy anyways so why farm out?

Here is a picture of one of these tools that I got today... the sandblaster... a 125 lb blaster.. used only 1 or 2 times.
I don't know what the thing is between the air fitting and the tank?
MVC-050F.JPG
MVC-052F.JPG
MVC-053F.JPG

Last edited:
Mikesta said:
I don't know what the thing is between the air fitting and the tank?

Water trap - Shoud be a little flexable rubber nipple on the bottom. When it is hooked up to the compressor, just flex it sideways to open the valve. If it has any water in it, it will spray out.

Good that it is on there. I'm sure it didn't come with the blaster, whoever owned it probably put it on there. If your in a high humidty climate your compressor can pull moisture out of the air and gum up the sand. Silica sand and water don't work well together.

You can also use that on your compressor also for painting, good idea to have one on the compressor anyway. Moisture is tough on all air tools. That type usually costs around $50.

Looks like a good buy :)

Matt

Not a bad idea to put a motorguard filter on after that trap. Makes a huge difference when running a plasma cutter, so I'd imagine just as much with a blaster.

A cry for help from LV owners!

Tonight I got to work on the LV a bit... going to get the 220 plumed and the air compresser installed soon... sandblaster is ready to roll once it is... so I pulled out the frame and cleaned it up a bit... WOW... LOOK AT THAT TAR! I have 1/2 inch of tar under certain parts of the frame... Im thinking a heat gun with a puddy knife will get most of it... It will take a lot of sand to get it off otherwise. What were they thinking!

LV owners... can you pick this frame apart? I know the rear hitch is bogus... and the muffler metal has been previously cut off... the front bumper is not stock... Can you guys pick it apart?

thanks

www.fjtoys.com/project/06_21_05 is where all of tonights pictures are... but here are a few.

MVC-086F.JPG
MVC-084F.JPG
MVC-083F.JPG

my bad.. my website technology has advanced somewhat... there is a slideshow of todays pictures at

www.fjtoys.com/mytoys

Click the first album, then the last album in the folder... click that then view slideshow on the left... adjust to the size you would like to view the pictures.

Mike,
If youv'e got 220v in your shop for the compressor, and haven't purchased a welder yet, you might research 220 welders. See if you can get one for a comperable price($650). It's been a few years but I think I paid under $500 for my 220v century. I have used the miller 110's and the lincoln weldpacs. They are good machines and most often adequate for the job. But when you need to weld something thicker than they can handle you need a new welder. With the 220 its welds thin stuff as well as the 110 but you can do much heavier work also.
Glad to see your keeping the Lv. I think most all of us who've sought them outhave done so in part because they can hold more family besides being so dang cool. Work on it with your kids and you'll give them memories that they would never get at disneyland.
Good luck on the rest of your purchases
Bryce

Make sure you understand silica sand and silicosis before you start sand blasting.

I'll have to get back to you on the frame. I have a few '64s but I don't remember the rails on the sides of the tank. I'll have to look.

Bruiser, I believe 220 will be overkill for what I want to do... I just want to use the welder to patch up body parts... I dont think I will be welding together my own bumpers or anything like this... besides.. a 220v will go right through sheet metal... perhaps I am wrong... but that is the advice that I've recieved

Mike, The 110v will work for the stuff you are doing currently, so will the 220v you can always turn it down. The 220v will do thin stuff plus give you the added ability to work thicker metals as well. All the body shops I worked at used 110v based on the same premise the of the 220 being overkill and to hot also. The110s worked ok. When I went into business for myself I thought it over alot, thinking 99% of my work was sheetmetal so all I usually needed was the 110v but then when I went to buy I found the 220 for a few bucks more splurged on it and am very glad I did. I've done alot of 1/4 panels and rust repairs with it. works just as well as a 110 if not smoother, and when the occasional heavier project comes up I have the welder to handle the job. either way it will be loads of torturous fun. And both will work well for what you have currently planned.

Mikesta said:
Bruiser, I believe 220 will be overkill for what I want to do... I just want to use the welder to patch up body parts... I dont think I will be welding together my own bumpers or anything like this... besides.. a 220v will go right through sheet metal... perhaps I am wrong... but that is the advice that I've recieved

Input voltage is irrelevant. I often butt weld body panels with my Miller CP200 running on 480V.

I cannot weld worth anything with 110, I switched to a 220 and it made a big difference. My welds are still ugly but anyone that can weld sheet with 110 is probably an expert if they tried it on a 220.

Let me know what you think may or may not be stock on the frame and I'll check when I get home.

I've got both. I prefer 110v for the light stuff. 220v Miller works great on the heavy stuff.

Just my 1 1/2 cents, Matt

Last edited:
MikeCO,

the front bumper doesnt look stock, the back bumper... ouch... dont know what belongs/doesnt... know the hitch needs to go... thats about it... if you have any pictures of frames... expecially the front and rear ends... that would be helpful.... I know you have one or two

Went to Lowes today to pick up some Lime for my 1/2 acre lot of grass... and picked up a toy when I was there.

Dewalt 4 1/2" Grinder with 3 Metal cutting bits and a few other accessories.

Spent about 15 minutes, got the front welded bumper out and the bumper members ground down... first grinding experience and it came out great.

Didnt get to the back bumper... was getting late... and I like to respect my neighbors... so put the grinder away for another day.

You will see that I have a hospital bracelet on... My daughter was born on the 13th 9 weeks premature... She has down syndrome... 1 in 1000 kids are born with it... She is our special girl and we love her sooo much... She is our 1 in a 1000 Joy! She is doing well up to 3.4lbs.

There are many more pictures in the Gallery on my website... need to get to my fam!
MVC-105F.JPG
MVC-106F.JPG
MVC-099F.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom