Official Project Thread for Mikesta's 1964 FJ45 LV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

had to make this smaller in paint "shrug"
untitled.JPG

Mike, The stuff hanging on the side of your compressor looks to be a water/oil seperator and air line dryer. It sound like a good deal on everything. The spraygun is only $10 more than a home depot junk siphon . Just think women believe they are the natural born shoppers! Good luck with the tools

Off the subject... holding the project up.

Its been a while since I've posted on this thread.

Had my electrician come over 3 weeks ago and set up the compressor. Yesterday I tried the sandblaster out. It took a little while to get used to it, but I finally figured it out. I could blast for about 10 minutes at a time. I used some granite 40-60 on the body of my opel. I've been out of commission on the LV project because My daily driver needed a new Tranny. The trannie is very hard to find... I'm finding that my 66 1.1 Liter wagon is very rare in the states.

I located 2 trannies and had them shipped... they should be here by friday. I am going to use Eastwoods underhood paint for the motor bay while the engine is out.

The frame of the LV is currently on Jackstands in the driveway, awaiting a sunny weekend for blasting. Recovery is pretty simple... I have 3 bay driveway on a hill. I will blast in the middle of it, when I'm done, I will vaccume up all the sand with a shop vac, then strain it back into the blaster.

The media I purchased was $26 per 100lb bag... called grannet star dust or something... works great!
MVC-879F.JPG
MVC-889F.JPG
MVC-896F.JPG

Got the replacement glove box in... probably going to blast it and prime till I'm ready to cut and install..

Any wise tips for this swap?
MVC-858F.JPG
MVC-859F.JPG

Yea can you believe it?

Took between 2-3 months to get it. Never again.

Been mulling over what to do with this rig for 5 months now. Still mulling, but with the options this truck came with I will most likely be restoring it to original condition... or close to it. Stock steering, stock wheels, engine etc. Not a perfect resto, but dang close. I would absolutely love to have Buck's comfortable ride and thought about it long and hard. I just dont have skillz. So original it is going to be.

You sound about as slow as me, but at least you have other projects going.

So any new items on the LV? Great deal on the Ridgid table saw too by the way! Used to sell that brand at my old job, very pricey stuff!!

- Wife may be pregnant again... 3 kids under 3 years old.
- Getting ready to sell other house - Needs roof and updating - $10K worth of work
- Getting ready to remodel a kitchen/living and dining room in my other house $40k worth of work.
- Trying to get Opel going again so I have a good gas mileage car - 60+ hours left
- Ok... now I get to work on LV :)

Thanks for asking... this thread goes to the bottom of the pile for months on end :)

Well another month? How is your little girl doing? We are about to have #2 any time now and our other one is only 16 mo. :)

Keep us posted on this I love me some LV projects!!

LOL, thanks for posting and not letting it go two months with neglect.

- Update: tonight I met PO and picked up a pto drive shaft for the truck that he found.
- Still mulling around Original engine vs. 4bt engine.
- Fixing my Opel Kadette wagon up to running condition. Will then sell it for $3500+.
- Will sell 1995 Corolla parts
- Will sell Parts opel
- Will sell rest of 60 Cruiser.
- Will give away the 80 tercel to a friend tomorrow
- Will keep the 70 Datsun.

- Combined, this will give me a few bucks to:

Blast and powder coat frame
install Sagnaw PS
Order parabolic springs
Rebuild Claw axles (put birfs in)
Put an engine in it.
Build rotissery.
Buy 110 welder.

Probably looking at 3-4 months before this is completed. Then I work on body.

Kid #3 is due August 8th... time will be getting rarer and rarer after that

89s... we will have 3 kids. all under 30months old. Thats average of 1 kid every 10 months. CRAZY!

You definitely sound like a busy man, especially w/ a fleet of cars and kids! Hang in there man

Decisions made. 2006 Plans

Well, It took 9+ months, but I've finally made up my mind on the outcome of this LV.

Pacino: Its name

Will get a complete restore... or as close to complete as possible. The reason for all the struggling with its outcome is that it is a very nice example of the LV and with the dealer add on options, I'd hate to molest this truck like I will Brando (my other 64 FJ45 LV).

Rather than post a new thread, I wanted to post here and see if anyone knows what to do to the FRAME.

Question: How do I keep this as original as possible. They didnt powder coat these back then. Is there a frame paint color? Did they prime then paint?

Question: Also, the frame has some rust pits. Small pits, but pits none the less. Would it be foolish to mud them and paint over the mud? What have people done to clean up their frame?

Now that I've made this decision, My goal for 2006 is to clean up and finish the frame and rebuild and paint the axles. Then to either find stock 45lv springs or to clean up these and drop back in and complete the rolling chassis.

I am really looking for pointers on this process. If anyone has any suggestions please pipe in.

Cheers! Here is to 2006!

there is actually a very hard epoxy filler that is meant for frames, i remember hereing that in a 25 build up thread. and im not sure, but i think the frames were black, but i dont know LV's so dont count on my knowldge. i dont know that on fj25s the frrame was painted the same color as the trcuk...

cool...

eastwoodcompany might have this... checking their site now

Mikesta,

Great to see a guy restore a rig w/ limited time due to young kids. I have a 5 yr old and a 2 1/2 year old - they are awesome!

Keep up the great work. I LOVE THESE BUILD THREADS!!!!

QUICK>>> I NEED advice :)

Just ordered shackles, bushings and shackle pins for the frame next week. This will give me a rolling chassis when complete.

Have an hour to add to the order... what else should I grab?

Mikesta said:
Just ordered shackles, bushings and shackle pins for the frame next week. This will give me a rolling chassis when complete.

Have an hour to add to the order... what else should I grab?

Shocks probaby for sure and maybe even U bolts.

Brake lines if you need them?

Motor mounts if your old ones are toast and your going stock?

Few ideas.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom