Dillema! What engine should I put in my LV? (1 Viewer)

Put this engine in it!

• Put a V12 in it

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Put the original F engine in it!

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Put a Diesel in it!

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • Just upgrade to a F2

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Its fine the way it is. Just wear thick soles!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F3!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mikesta

Never decruiserfied
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.showmerents.com
Seattle 1964 FJ45LV project

This is going to be my official Project thread. This project may take me 2+ years, but maybe not. I am starting to think about the powerplant for this truck.

Help me out here, I am very open at this point. I will be keeping this forever, It is worth more restored... but Its my wagon, so who cares? Also, possible 2-4" lift?

Next step will be to (acid) dip the body and parts to clear out all the rust and give me a starting point. Time to look throught he parts book and pick up the phone.
MVC-726F.JPG

Last edited:
On my FJ45 SWB I went with a later 2F and 4 spd, hooked up to the vacuum shift transfer case stuff, later disc/drums and fine spline rear axles, and have kept all the OEM junk, just in case I or someone else ever wants to go back......the only thing I have done major is cut the hole for the shifter, but it can be repaired easily..........but it's your truck, do what ya want.....
Butch

Did you have 3 on the tree? Why did you cut a hole for your shifter. This animal has 3 on the Tree.

I don't think anyone can really answer that question, but you. I think it's going to come down to personal preference for the owner. One person might want a totally stock rig for no other reason than totally stock. Another person might want some tricked out engine for off-roading. And someone else might want something in between stock and full mod?

I think you need to determine what you want to do with it and your engine answer lies there.

just my 2 cents.

Matt

Mikesta said:
Did you have 3 on the tree? Why did you cut a hole for your shifter. This animal has 3 on the Tree.

Kinda hard to shift a toploader 4 spd off the tree. :D :D :D
The Toyota 4 spd is one of the tightest sweetest tranny's out there....in case you have never handled one.
Butch

That is some of the stuff I need to hear. Yes, I am leaning toward the Diesel, tough and long lasting engine... I am somewhat double minded right now however because this truck has 4 dealer options, which makes it pretty rare and quite possibly sought after. I have around 6 cents in my pocket right now... need a couple bucks before I slap an engine in it.

I'm leaning heavily to the diesel engine option for my FJ45LV but then you might have guessed that I'm partial to diesels anyways! Also I have a better selection of Toyota diesel stuff at wreckers down here anyways as I will be staying Toyota so the remainder of the drivertrain is easy and parts shouldn't be too special.
I wouldn't mind stopping by this summer when I'm up in the PNW and having a look at the FJ45LV. The only one I've seen "in the flesh" is the one I'm working on now!

while I think the totally stock resto is cool, driving the three on the tree can be tedious, if you plan on getting behind the wheel alot. As such, when I fixed up my FJ45 LWB pickup, I chose a later 2F(didnot have the original F)and a 1976 FJ40 rebuilt 4 speed... I could not be happier with the combo, its retro enough to have that old school feel, but just civilzed enough to be tolerable, even for a few hours of driving.

like texican did(I did as well), you should keep the vacuum shift deal, its simple to rebuild the switching deal with a $13 toyota gasket/seal kit, and you can easily modify the linkage to accomondate the longer 4 speed.

The stock 4 speed toyota tranny (H42) is one of the nicest shifting, smoothest truck speeds out there, and for daily driving with anything less than 35" tires, I find it has great gear ratio splits too.

a built f motor is a blast to drive. i would also go to the four speed...same reason as butch...great tight tranny and far more streetable than the three speed (although column shift is fun). that said, my 45swb has a 2f, but only because i didn't have the original f. my friend's dad built two f's that could put you back in your seat. :grinpimp:

Cruiser_guy, I am like you... This is the only one I have seen, touched and sat in (in the flesh). Probably why I paid top dollar for a basket case :). Come on by. What are you thinking about putting in your cruiser? A 13B-t? Nuclearmon, what do you mean by built F engine? boared and stroked? or rebuilt?

Not to hi-jack this thread, but....

I was thinking of eliminating the hi/low lever on the dash and 4wd vacumm engagement/knob. I have the 4 spd T-case and I was going to run it up through the floor next to the auto shifter, so the 2 were side by side.

Probably this exact same thing
http://www.lokar.com/interior_pages/products/ind_boots/images/cm_bootind.jpg

Granted that hi/low lever has a certain old school feel and look, but at the same time I thought it would clean up the dash just a tad going this route? Also maybe easier and simplier to bring it up through the floor.

What do you guys think?

Matt

cruiserbrett said:
TLC did a 45lv and cleaned up the dash by removing the 4wd stuff. Looked really clean when I saw it. not sure if its on the webpage, but its the same color truck as the one featured under FJ45lv restos, so you might find pics of it there.

here:
http://www.tlc4x4.com/2000/Restorations/new/fj45/tlc_slide_fj45-w2h.htm

Save that vacuum stuff and linkage, I need it for my FJ45lv

That's kinda exactly what I'm thinking. I don't think I will be doing that little extra pod that is hanging down with the gauges and cd player. That's where my vintage AC is going :D

I see in that pic they have a different column. The wife and I were just discussing key location last night. I know for sure that I am going to be ordering a 30" Ididit column with tilt, cruiser and the dimmer in the signal lever. I just can't decide yet if I want the key in the column or the dash. I ordered an ididit column for my 77 FJ40 and got the key in the column, really like it, but 77's had it in the column stock. That's kinda why I ordered it that way. Key on the dash is old school, column new school, haven't made up my mind yet?

Let me know when you want that stuff? I haven't had time yet, but I plan on offering up for sale all that chub that I won't be using. Motor, tranny, t case, drive shafts, vacumm linkages, etc...

Matt

buckroseau said:
That's kinda exactly what I'm thinking. I don't think I will be doing that little extra pod that is hanging down with the gauges and cd player. That's where my vintage AC is going :D

I see in that pic they have a different column. The wife and I were just discussing key location last night. I know for sure that I am going to be ordering a 30" Ididit column with tilt, cruiser and the dimmer in the signal lever. I just can't decide yet if I want the key in the column or the dash. I ordered an ididit column for my 77 FJ40 and got the key in the column, really like it, but 77's had it in the column stock. That's kinda why I ordered it that way. Key on the dash is old school, column new school, haven't made up my mind yet?

Let me know when you want that stuff? I haven't had time yet, but I plan on offering up for sale all that chub that I won't be using. Motor, tranny, t case, drive shafts, vacumm linkages, etc...

Matt

My FJ45LV doesn't have the vacuum transfer, it's all through the floor! I'd gladly take the dash stuff (ignition switch etc.) that you're not using as well as driveshafts 'cause my splines are worn and the shaft is sloppy.

Mikesta said:
Cruiser_guy, I am like you... This is the only one I have seen, touched and sat in (in the flesh). Probably why I paid top dollar for a basket case :). Come on by. What are you thinking about putting in your cruiser? A 13B-t? Nuclearmon, what do you mean by built F engine? boared and stroked? or rebuilt?

I'd like the 13B-T but that's the only "B" series engine that didn't make it to Central America (that I know of). It might get a 13B with a turbo on it, which I guess would make it a 13B-T :) otherwise an 11B or 3B and last of all a B.

PM me your address, e-mail and phone number. I'll be in the Seattle area around the 7th of July or so.

Mikesta said:
Nuclearmon, what do you mean by built F engine? boared and stroked? or rebuilt?
clean rebuild, some minor polishing and cammed.

Rick D has posted a 13B-T w/5 speed available for sale down in Tuscon. Check out the "For Sale" section. I agree with all that the Toyota 4 speed is a great tranny with a good "truck" feel to it. The only thing better is to have that extra gear for highway. I will always choose 5 speed. Hell, for the retro look, just put a 4 speed ball shift knob on it and surprise your passengers when you grab the phantom gear. LOL

#1, find a 1973-1978 firewall-cowl from a FJ40 and dissect it from the donor cowl. The 45 firewall can be cut where the floor pans at angle go to vertical and then at the spot welds all around the cowl. The pedal carrage from the donor FJ40 can be fitted at this point.

I put a 1HD-T in a 45 wagon around 1999 and other than minor transfer to tunnel clearances the metal was fine. (I had prelocated the crank pulley nut and placed the HD-T within 20mm of that local, blocks between F and HD-T are 99% identical in size) I used the rare 1981-1984 J40 tranny mount which was very close (bolt holes off) to fit the truck. The starter was 3/8" from the steering gear box (late model J40 PS) and I elected to switch to J60 steering.

To me, a station wagon needs a 6 cylinder. I am also putting a HD-T (12 valve) in my BJ70(4) just for the extra umph at US highway speeds the 13B-T does not have.

cheap conversion, I'd 2F or even use a 3F carb manifold (super 2F)

I have certainly seen nice small block chevy conversions (and bad ones).

I had wanted a 20+ mpg truck with old styling- I just ran out of money and ran into a few bad deals hence the loss of the project well before it was done.

again, make sure you have $10,000 for refreshing the truck in hand (maybe more now) and try to make only steps forward and none back.

I have been battling in between keeping the vacum stuff or going with the levers on the floor. There is a lot of dash there with nothing on it if I go with the levers which are off the donor. That dash that TLC did on both the 63 swb and the 66lv looks like they might have filled the holes for the vacum stuff. I am leaning towards the levers at this time.

I'm going with the 2f and 4spd, I love it in the fj40 campared to a worn f and 3 on tree. I learned to drive with a collum shift and had enough of it as a kid and 1st in the 4spd with 33s is much easier on the clutch when starting out.

Last edited:
I have never been concerned with how many jugs there are in the engine. Last time I checked, the torque and horsepower numbers of a 13B-T are pretty damn close to a 2F; however, the economy figures are around 40-60% higher. That's just my take on it. If I could have anything under the hood I wanted, hell yea, it'd probably be a 1HZ with eventual turbo. That is just a really, really expensive daydream for me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom