Off Brand Tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got some new Kenda's and had them for 150 miles on my 80 in that exact size. Due to their knobbyness, I could not get them balanced correctly. I tried 2 alignment shops, including one that specialized in 4wd that bead balanced them. They got them as good as they could be. At about 60-65 range, the steering wheel would vibrate/shake some. I didn't want to/couldn't live with that so I sold them, but to each their own, that may not bother others. I put on some BFG AT KO2s instead, no issues with shaking/vibrating. The Kenda tires themselves appeared to be very well built and heavy.

Well, I've seen a couple of reviews that have good things to say overall... But with only 35K or so worth of tread life, the money doesn't work out in the end, especially for a daily driver. I have over 40K on my Toyo AT IIs currently(5 tire rotation) and probably at least that many more to go... I know AT v MT, etc, etc...but depending on usage...cheap is only cheap up front in this case...

Oh Kenda's, I crossed pass with these tires in the most unusual way. My mother wanted to buy me some tires for my Hilux for my birthday because she could not think of anything else to get me. There was this small one man tire store in the small beach town she lives in that always has good deals. So she was getting me some M/T and when I ask her which ones she said "it starts with a K" I then said "Kumho?" and she was like "yeah thats it, Kumho." Well you can imagine I was like WTF when I saw the tires on the truck when I came back. To make matters worse it said MADE IN CHINA in huge letters. Personally I can't stand cheap Chinese crap and its not like the stamp of Made in China is invoking any confidence especially when it comes to tires. I honestly thought they were going to blow up at any second for the first couple hundred miles I was on them. In the end, I didn't have the heart to tell her so I just sucked it up and said they are free. Honestly they were not that bad, especially off road, but they do wear like s***. In the long run I don't think you are saving anything even considering their cheaper price.

Kenda makes solid ATV tires but idk anything about their vehicle tires. But for just $60 more you could buy a set of Grabber AT2's which is an extremely solid tire.

Discounttiredirect just had a deal where get $100's off for every $400 spent, up to 3 times. So you could pick out $800 tires and spend right $600, same price as the Kenda's. Unfortunately the promotion ended a couple of days ago I believe, but thats the 2nd time I've seen them do this within the last few months.

I found this tire earlier this week and it had some decent reviews. The price is certainly right!
EBay: - 4 New LT285/75R16 Kenda Klever M/T KR29 Mud Terrain 10 Ply E Load Tires 2857516

I never use this brand, so I cant say how good they are. But just wanted to share that 4 BFG KO2 285 75R16 is $782 at 4wd.com right now. When I bought our tires a few months ago, I bought it during the time that BFG has $70 rebate for 4 tires.

Personally I would spend extra for a known proven brand name that has good rating/reviews. I have had no brand name tires years ago, and while there was still plenty of thread, I almost got into a wreck because I cant get traction to stop in snow at low speed.

Assuming that a decent tire will last 40-50K, thats 4-5 years for us, then the cost difference per year is very little compare to that Kenda.

Good advice on you get what you pay for. I didn't realize it was a 30-40k tread life. I think if my cruiser was not DD these would be a killer deal. I never had MT's and wanted to try them but as a DD these would waste my money. I also looked at the General Grabber AT2 and they received some great reviews on tirerack.

I found some videos and they seem to be decent for what ill be seeing here in Florida. No rock climbing for me, but we do have sand and water crossings. Any of you ran these?

I've never ran them just read a bunch of good reviews when I was shopping and they were my 2nd choice behind Duratracs(just because of their snow performance).

The expo overland guys run AT2's, likely due to sponsorship, but nonetheless they've taken them all over North America.

I'm running Fierce Attitude in a 285/75R - 17 on my 07' Taco. Put them on at 63K, and now at 108K, with about 40% tread left. Probably due to the fact that my truck is lighter than you cruzer. I have also had very good luck with Coopers on a ranch truck that would see 100K +/- every 2 years, they looked like copies of the old original wrangler tire.

Well I went and bought them. Three required 12oz to balance.

Two things:

They torqued them to 140ft lbs which seems excessive. Thoughts?

I had an alignment done two weeks ago when I did the R&P. The new tires pull to the right after going for a drive. Do I need another alignment? I turned it down when asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom