OEM swing out tire carrier install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So you folks think there is a demand? But the ultimate question is how much will people pay for them?

That's the dilemma!

I paid $250 AUD for 3/4 of a set of original, used OEM flares on marketplace recently.

Was contemplating making some moulds, but it would be a learning curve for me. I've used fibreglass a bit in the past, but never made a mould.
I don't really have the time, or suitable space to be doing a project with fibreglass

FRP Australia make replacements, but I don't think they fit using original mounting holes.

There's alternatives, but from what I've seen, fitting is an issue.

To make flares that fit as per the OEM flares would require the flare itself, and some structural pieces in the back of the flares

That's the dilemma!

I paid $250 AUD for 3/4 of a set of original, used OEM flares on marketplace recently.

Was contemplating making some moulds, but it would be a learning curve for me. I've used fibreglass a bit in the past, but never made a mould.
I don't really have the time, or suitable space to be doing a project with fibreglass

FRP Australia make replacements, but I don't think they fit using original mounting holes.

There's alternatives, but from what I've seen, fitting is an issue.

To make flares that fit as per the OEM flares would require the flare itself, and some structural pieces in the back of the flares
I just made arrangements to have a set of early flares for the winter that need repair so once they are repaired I shall make molds🍻

Other mold is completed, first mold being put to use.

2 layers carbon fibre and 6 layers bi-directional fibreglass cloth with WEST 105 epoxy.

Cooking at 37 degrees C
4C87D166-8FA4-44B7-A164-0EF87B222EB6.jpeg

The second one, for the bottom support
AA26B26E-E0FC-4CFA-946C-68744C85653F.jpeg

My production bench

8C5EBD06-1398-426C-A150-303153BD5270.jpeg

First release, note to self, more parting agent🤦‍♂️

Not that weight is important on a cruiser, but…..

4DDF5B4C-A0C0-425C-99B9-EF343AFD525E.jpeg

“Every ounce counts”

For reference, what is the rough weight of the original?
Never weighed it, it has 4 nutserts in it and is quite a bit heavier as it wasn’t vacuum bagged so it’s resin rich.

I’ll weigh it tonight for s***s and giggles

Quite a nice project you have in your hands.
I appreciate and congratulate you for posting.
I want to start installing mine, I have all the components to do it, just wanted to get more info on how to do it correctly with out damaging my Cruiser.
Can I get away with out having to weld the inner support brackets?
....thanks again!

Last edited:
You didn’t do the bumper on the upper hatch?
Yes I put it on.

When you remove the interior trim you will see where the bolts are supposed to come through.

Imop welding is not necessary. The only time weight/arm is applied is when the swingout is open.

Would you be interested in selling a set? I am eyeballing a swingout, but can't seem to find the brackets that are needed. My fabrication skills are not up to the task of making my own im afraid.

I am considering fabricating the mounts and drill pattern template. Just need to talk to some fellow faculty members at work. This will be a fall project just to investigate the possibility.

I'll buy the mounts and drill pattern template ✋. I've got a JDM tire carrier with all the bits above my pay grade to install right now.

So I was happy with V2.0’s fit

View attachment 3184391

Yup. Interested.

Update😬

Version 1.5 of the mold for swingout brackets.

Adding a second joint so it went from 2 piece mold to 4 piece. Made it super easy to remove part.

Work in progress, parts now need a trimming.

So I know some are going to ask, yes I will be going into producing these to sell, along with the third bracket for step install for roof access.

Hopefully in the next month or so this set will be for sale, if I’m happy with the fit!

Pricing needs to be figured out so I’ll let the price be known here and the for sale section.

🍻

4967D697-2C5B-4797-990A-F7501AD7CE5F.jpeg

5B6C1FA2-E52E-452E-A8AA-2590E5E686D8.jpeg

94DD2ED6-566A-4316-AB15-FEAE7F8609BD.jpeg

35BF4E29-CA0D-4AFB-9AB1-5C5FDCF20809.jpeg

4475C4A4-526A-43B9-98C0-68F51FA8DE8E.jpeg

Few more detailed pics.

8 layers of CF, 1 Kevlar

Titanium plate bonded in with milled CF and epoxy.

10099D28-71AF-4D90-8CDB-4C2027A001D7.jpeg

51E5FE65-D48D-4675-8C21-35F3F8D3F529.jpeg

FCF2E388-B225-416E-B1E0-8C4FE6E1D383.jpeg

AB3C7E3D-6EC4-4909-8B11-89944245DE0D.jpeg

I think its a cool thing but seems like you did it the hard way. Could have glassed in place or used fender washers with rivnuts. No reason to use molds.

I think its a cool thing but seems like you did it the hard way. Could have glassed in place or used fender washers with rivnuts. No reason to use molds.
This part replicates the factory installed piece not present in NA 80 .
With a understanding of bearing strength and load distribution a riv-nut will not hold a 50-65lb tire on a 40” arm when the swingout is open and not cause damage to the sheet metal.
A small deflection caused by the metal deforming because of “just a riv-nut or nut and bolt” would be exaggerated at the end of the arm when it is to be closed making latching difficult.

You can hang off the end of this swingout when it is open with zero deflection.

Try that with just nuts and bolts without a load distribution plate and former in place.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom