OEM mice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Upon performing some routine maintenance I discovered some mice have taken up residence in my engine compartment. They've already littered the engine cover with discarded acorn shells, and they've chewed the washer reservoir filler but I'm worried about them doing more significant damage. Any ideas on how to keep 'em away?
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1454511623.968490.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1454511648.294246.jpg

No ideas, but I will be interested to find out, since I too have had damage caused by rodents while camping.

install a cat...:flipoff2:

Would this be a "true" cat-back installation?

On a serious note... I did ask my local dealer if there was something that a person could treat the engine with and he sent me something that could be sprayed on, but you would have to literally lift the engine out to get to all of the harnesses for treatment and it was something that needed constant re-applying. Not a true fix.

Moth balls. They hate they smell. I place a fresh one in the V (under the intake manifold) about once a week. I also put out lots of poison bait.

Just got done having a knock sensor harness replaced after an acorn-munching varmint chewed through it.

Firstly look for traces of urine in the engine bay, the chewing is a territorial thing they'll do when they find another males urine. Clean off any stains as this should lessen the chance of them coming back repeatedly, put a trap close to where you park your cruiser. I can find out from some people tomorrow what "home remedies" actually work to keep them away

Moth balls. They hate they smell. I place a fresh one in the V (under the intake manifold) about once a week. I also put out lots of poison bait.

Just got done having a knock sensor harness replaced after an acorn-munching varmint chewed through it.

This ^^ AND a liberal coating of capsaicin or "pepper spray" should do the trick. I've sprayed this vile peppery substance under the hoods of several project vehicles who happen to reside out of doors with success.

Sent from my extremely unreliable mobile device using IH8MUD Forum

But seriously...

Buy the ARB mousetrap.

Borrow a cat from @Desert Nomad ; I hear he has a few. :hillbilly:

*Limited time only: Get FREE cats with FREE shipping while stocks last

*Not applicable on planet earth and minimum order of 10 units applies.

Those sticky traps work well. I had some get in a camper and three mice got stuck in one 3" x5" trap. Ha....stupid mice!

Ouch! I've never seen mouse damage like that before. Mice are stinkers.

Where do you park? In a garage?

Question...where the heck do you all park your LC's and for how long?!?! I have never in all the places I've lived ever had a rodent hang out and chew my vehicle up. Oh wait...I have two big Siberian cats. :cat:

The truck is parked in a carport and is a DD. It is never parked longer than 12 hours. They must love the warmth of that engine and come running the minute I pull in.

They also make some bait traps that look like plastic boxes roughly the size of two decks of cards (stacked). You could velcro one or two of these inside the engine bay. The mice take the bait and die somewhere....they don't stay in the trap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom