Odd electrical? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, today my vsc off and trac off lights came on with no check engine light. No codes are being thrown according to my bafx reader. then a few hours later I turned off the car and took the key out and the dash gauges stayed put. Cranking it back up the gauges were kind of jerky getting back to where they should be. Any ideas? The battery is only a month old. It’s a 2005 with 240k.
Checked a few of the threads on the vsc off lights and it seems like all of those were accompanied by a CEL. Also none mentioned janky gauges. If I were reading this I’d think a bad battery so I’ll start there but figured I’d see if y’all had ideas just in case this fails.

Edit: after refueling mpg gauge reset too so maybe it is a bad battery connection somewhere. Still any input is appreciated!

Edit 2: turning off the key causes full power loss. Everything resets. could that mean an ignition column problem? would that cause the gauges not to drop to zero? even when the car is in ACC and the radio plays the gauges don't drop back down. She still cranks strong and I still have cruise control.
866B205E-BF2F-416F-B571-C6DE902BE587.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Resolved: the previous owner installed a kill switch due to a random parasitic drain. I guess I had bumped it into a half on half off position making the truck do weird things. switched it fully on and it returned to fully normal. Phew. I was not looking forward to tracking down electrical gremlins.

How is the kill switch wired to kill power to everything?
I honestly haven’t gone too deep into that rabbit hole yet. It’s just a toggle that runs to somewhere. I’ve used it a couple times if we were going on vacation and not taking it with us but I don’t know how it’s wired in. Sorry bud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom