Odd Drone Sound 2009 GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve had my 09 GX470 for about a year or 9K miles, and it has been the most quiet vehicle I have ever owned. It has 142K miles. Until now....In the last three weeks it has developed a rather strange droning sound emanating from the front of the car. It gets louder as speed increases but does not go away if the vehicle is slipped in neutral. I took it on a 200 mile trip at speeds of 70-75 miles an hour and hopped out several times to feel all four wheels and none of them were hot. Sunday my wife drove it 200 miles and got 19.7MPG. Yes, she drives like a grandma, so guessing it isn’t a sticking/dragging caliper.

My shop is packed with stuff right now so I haven’t been able to pull the wheels off for a closer inspection. This is my first GX470, so wondering if anyone has dealt with something similar? Guessing next steps are to check diff fluids, and inspect the hub assemblies....

Flame a way fellas. Wish I could be more descriptive with what it sounds like, but my hearing isn’t the best. The sound is noticeable to my friends and family. I am also considering some kind of exhaust leak....?

Thanks!

Sounds like you're on the right track with checking tires, hubs, and diff fluid. Does the noise change or go away when turning in one direction or the other? If it is an exhaust leak and no CEL is on the dash, you can at least narrow it to after the o2 sensors and before the muffler.

My 'mud tire sound' at 45 mph was a bad front wheel bearing. At 60, the wind noise drowned it out, but at lower speeds, it sounded like mud tires - even my wife noticed ;). I drained and refilled the xfer case just to be sure it wasn't full of metal filings, and it wasn't. I later found that (right before I bought the truck) Lexus diagnosed a bad front wheel bearing that was never replaced. I used a Dorman cheapie complete hub/bearing set (Rock Auto) and it has worked fine so far. Front wheel bearings on these vehicles don't seem to last forever, unlike some other Toyota products.

I'm not sure my bearing was bad enough to create a hotter wheel, but you're checking the right things.

Same as @SteveH
Right front bearing took a dump without making the wheel hotter than others, or odd driving characteristics, just growling noise. Very easy to replace IMO, a new Koyo bearing from eBay did the trick.

I had a similar drone sound that increased with speed as well. It also got noticeably louder as I turned left on the highway. I bought bluepit preassembled hubs and wheel bearings and put them in this weekend. Super easy job for both sides, took maybe 2 1/2 hours taking my time. I also did new rotors and pads while I was there too. Fixed all my issues and is quiet as can be again.

DA3E6367-051B-44F1-BA01-2E0BE1F41798.jpeg

F5F1DEAE-730C-4938-B6D6-DC43C76E1FD0.jpeg

199D6D8C-2B80-4312-9A0C-5E363DE770A3.jpeg

I'll add a fourth or fifth opinion for wheel bearings. The noise means do it ASAP before they completely fail.

So this droning sound has just started for my 2003 GX (115k) and I’m in the middle of a 5k (4 week) roadtrip... does anyone have an estimate on how long I have until it fails completely?

I’m trying to figure out whether I should order new hub assemblies to be delivered along our route or if it will last until we get home.

Funny enough I had the same exact symptoms. While my FR wheel bearing was bad and the whole front bearing/hub assemblies were replaced the noise still hasn't gone away. I'm at a loss at this point...

So this droning sound has just started for my 2003 GX (115k) and I’m in the middle of a 5k (4 week) roadtrip... does anyone have an estimate on how long I have until it fails completely?

I’m trying to figure out whether I should order new hub assemblies to be delivered along our route or if it will last until we get home.

If you're near civilization, I might just run it. Mine was noisy for several thousand miles before I replaced it. I doubt it will seize with no warning.

Keep an ear on it, if the sound changes get to a shop ASAP. Take note of the Toyota dealerships along your route for a quick job if needed.

If you can grab an IR thermometer, you can also check hub temperature at each stop to see if things are getting hotter. Compare between left and right sides as well.

I went with the Toyota all OEM wheel hub assembly from Blue Pit Bearings for the fronts. They are pricey but it's a pretty important part for your truck. I talked to Andy the owner and he is knowledgeable and passionate about his product. I also had the rears done by a local Toyota dealership and it was $1800, lexus wanted $2300.

I love these ideas. I was planning on going all oem from bluepit as well and I’ll go pick up a IR thermometer to monitor wash hub as we drive. I think it’s the drivers side but the thermometer will help.

Keep an ear on it, if the sound changes get to a shop ASAP. Take note of the Toyota dealerships along your route for a quick job if needed.

If you can grab an IR thermometer, you can also check hub temperature at each stop to see if things are getting hotter. Compare between left and right sides as well.
What do you mean by the sound changing? Right now it’s a gentle “whomp whomp whomp” that is audible between 30-40 mph

I love these ideas. I was planning on going all oem from bluepit as well and I’ll go pick up a IR thermometer to monitor wash hub as we drive. I think it’s the drivers side but the thermometer will help.

Look on YouTube for how to diagnose a bag wheel bearing, it will help deciding which wheel is bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom