October 2018 ROTM - Casner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We spent the whole day in Sedona and it rained all day, just arrived home to clear skies.

How did the trip up the mountain and camping go?

I missed out on the trail run unfortunately but had a great night camping. Was pretty dry up there all things considered - I don't think the weather got in the way at all.

Thanks to Brice for arranging the trip and all of those who did a fantastic job cooking up tacos with all of the fixings!
IMG_4505.JPG
IMG_4508.JPG
IMG_4525.JPG
IMG_4533.JPG
IMG_4528.JPG

Looks like a good time! Missing the potluck dinners :D

Great run, like mentioned the rain has changed the trail. If we didn't beat the rain a few sections could have gotten real interesting.
IMG_20181013_105237352.jpg
IMG_20181013_115530033.jpg
IMG_20181013_120941392.jpg
IMG_20181013_122846439.jpg

Little colder this morning.
IMG_20181015_062406157.jpg

Predicted snow starting this afternoon. Three to five inches possible. Crazy October weather.

Thanks to everyone who generously provided the street taco fixings, they were epic!! :cheers:

The weather cooperated for an awesome trip! The rain chased us but didn't bother us on the run or while setting up camp. After the tarps were up and camp set, it sprinkled for a few hours to clear up for the rest of the evening from 6pm on.
During sprinkling , the was some social hour chips and dip under the tarps. At 6, the campfire was roaring and the dinner crew was busy making food for everyone. Thanks to Abigail, Alvis, Scotty, and many others who contributed!
Pic going up Casner Mtn with threatening showers in the distance (upper right in photo). The lack of dust on the trail from rain the day - sometimes hours - before was a nice plus .
MVIMG_20181013_112324-PANO.jpg

Any pictures of the tarp setup and potluck?

Any pictures of the tarp setup and potluck?

I want not very active with my camera but sure someone did. Is also hope that someone can post up a nighttime pic of the camp mascot jack o' lantern that Jason and Julie made, it was great!

I love that each wheeling trip has unique and different group of people. I think everyone has a good time, weird weather can add a interesting dimension and everyone made the best of it in good cheer.
Shout out to 3 CSCrs that made the journey from Tucson too. Joe in his blue 80 series gets a nod for his first challenging 4x4 trip in his truck and drove like a seasoned pro.

Some of the few pics I did take:

MVIMG_20181013_110513.jpg
MVIMG_20181013_112418.jpg
MVIMG_20181013_121215.jpg
MVIMG_20181013_121430.jpg

Crossing the saddle; low clouds rolling in; ProBro's built Tacoma in front and TexAz 's built 200 behind loaded with the kids and dogs.
from the north we had Pitch and Ftbshop visit from Flagstaff too

MVIMG_20181013_120038.jpg
MVIMG_20181013_121423.jpg
MVIMG_20181013_131858.jpg

Thank you to everyone that came up for the run. I will post my official report later tonight, but in the meantime here is what the view looked like without all the clouds.

Camping View 1.jpg

Photos

Casner View 1.jpg

Casner View 2.jpg

Casner View 3.jpg

Casner View 4.jpg

Casner View 5.jpg

More photos

Casner View 6.jpg

Casner View 7.jpg

Didn't get enough pics, but here are a couple. On the trail
20181013_103804.jpg

The campsite
20181013_162926.jpg

The yota-lantern
20181013_184410.jpg

Awesome view of the mountains on the way home
20181014_105804.jpg

I want not very active with my camera but sure someone did. Is also hope that someone can post up a nighttime pic of the camp mascot jack o' lantern that Jason and Julie made, it was great!

I love that each wheeling trip has unique and different group of people. I think everyone has a good time, weird weather can add a interesting dimension and everyone made the best of it in good cheer.
Shout out to 3 CSCrs that made the journey from Tucson too. Joe in his blue 80 series gets a nod for his first challenging 4x4 trip in his truck and drove like a seasoned pro.

Some of the few pics I did take:

View attachment 1810754 View attachment 1810755 View attachment 1810756 View attachment 1810757

Thanks for the kudos @murf . It was nice wheeling with such a great group. Also thanks to @Saddletramp for the pointers on getting me out of that rut. I couldn’t have had a better experience for my first time out with you guys. Thanks for welcoming the new guy and it was nice to meet everyone. Looking forward to future runs.

For those of you who did this run in October 2018, you might recall the status of the road. I have reached out to the Forest Service about an update on the road and here is what I was told:

"I went up the road last week, about 2/3 of the way, and turned around because of the snow…The switchbacks have gotten slightly worse and from what I heard from APS they are not planning any further maintenance…I will be heading back up there towards the end of the month to see what the rest of the road to the upper gate looks like…we are also planning kiosk installation and go-around maintenance to be completed in the next month or two as well…"

That said, what are peoples thoughts on an October 2019 run?

For those of you who did this run in October 2018, you might recall the status of the road. I have reached out to the Forest Service about an update on the road and here is what I was told:

"I went up the road last week, about 2/3 of the way, and turned around because of the snow…The switchbacks have gotten slightly worse and from what I heard from APS they are not planning any further maintenance…I will be heading back up there towards the end of the month to see what the rest of the road to the upper gate looks like…we are also planning kiosk installation and go-around maintenance to be completed in the next month or two as well…"

That said, what are peoples thoughts on an October 2019 run?

While it was more challenging in the past, from what I heard from others was that they felt it was certainly more exciting - but also nothing that would deter anyone from doing it again. maybe others who ran it will chime in their opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom