Oblique curbing at 30 mph .. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was coming up to a red light today. One car was already stopped ahead of me. There was still a big pocket of space for me to sit and signal to turn if only I could squeeze thru the bottleneck between their car's rear quarter and the curb. Without hesitating, or touching the brake, I turned the wheel before colliding with them and sailed over the curb and into the pocket.

It was incredibly smooth, with less jarring than a speed bump by far. I probably sat there in the pocket with a silly grin on my face ..

TECH : Is there anything that can be thrown outta wack by regular speed oblique curb jumps?

TY

You have to first be "in wack" before you can be thrown "out of wack"

You are probably fine in that case..........:D

your bigger tires help to smooth out stuff like this.

T Y L E R said:

TECH : Is there anything that can be thrown outta wack by regular speed oblique curb jumps?

TY

Probably not, but you better get those sliders quick now that you're doing some serious wheeling. ;)

Air down first, it makes the ride smoother and you will get better grip on the curb! :D

Cops like to give tickets for that kind of fun here.

T Y L E R said:

TY[/COLOR]

Insurance rating ;)

I bet the truck's weight had shifted to the left side when the right side hit the curb. I do that (opposite for RHD in OZ) when negotiating traffic circles at speed, clipping the interior island before a quick counter-turn to correct my balance as I exit the circle on the other side.

Lol what do you think happens when wheeling?

When things get slow on the trails at Tellico I tend to pop wheelies in the 40 on the water diversion mounds. Gotten the front tires several feet off the ground. Never has gone out of whack. Did discover today that both my front motor mounts were completely toasted. I doubt there is any relation though. :flipoff2:

T Y L E R said:
I was coming up to a red light today. One car was already stopped ahead of me. Without hesitating, or touching the brake, I turned the wheel before colliding with them and sailed over the curb and into the pocket.

At least you missed them. I hit the one in front of me at the stop sign...rolled into the ass-end of a BRAND new Acura MDX at maybe ONE MPH as I headed out of town Thursday afternoon for the weekend. :mad: :mad: The truck was two weeks old and of course, he raced right to the dealership where they told him it was $2000 in damage. Not a scratch on mine....of course. Lucky bastard should be happy I didn't have my usual ARB installed or he might have been totalled. I can't win for loosing.

Tyler went urban offroading :flipoff2:

Random car-curbing story of the night.

Back in the mid 80s I was a vehicle developer for GM. Another developer and I and a couple other guys were on our way to the Chicago auto show from Detroit when we stopped for grub. Driving the then-new and hot Bonneville SSE from our pool, the driver was trying to get us out of the restaraunt turning left across one of those huge Chicago streets of 6 lanes or so. All of us are helping look back and forth for an opening and the car was heavily laden with us and luggage. He spots an opening and floors it so hard we bottom heavily leaving the driveway and NONE of us notices the 8 inch tall curb complete with little island and empty concrete flower boxes in the center until we slam it going like 30. BOOM! the car leaves the ground and comes down awkwardly on the other side, dragging the undercarriage very heavily. Chunks of the front and rear ground effects are sliding around everywhere.

In total silence, he straightens the car out still accelerating hard and heading for the freeway entrance. When you're a car guy and driving a 'cool' car with a bunch of other professional car guys aboard there's really not much to say about such a screwup, ya know? Silence is its own punishment. Incredibly, the low profile tires were undamaged and the car ran as smooth the rest of the trip as it did before the curb grind. Random "curbing story"....

DougM

Hmmm...

You guys are fricken nuts.

What I found was real hard was after being used to doing things like that in my trucks when I got this Miata I drive now I have to be careful.

Another random curbing story.

I was in Michigan for business and ended up renting a 6cyl mustang. I was barely old enough to rent a car but the company I worked for figured out how to make it happen. 3 days I cruise around in the thing and one night I decide to venture out of the hotel area for food. I grab grub at an italian restaraunt and as I'm heading towards the exit of the parking lot ... BAM, I hear this incredible crashing sound and the car JUMPS up in the air. I'm stunned but try to move the car but I'm greeted by a loud grinding sound as I inch forward. I check out WTF I hit and there is this 8" high , 6"x6" solid concrete mini curb that separates the parking lot from the sidewalk that was nearly invisable. I make it back to the hotel and park and try to asses the damage but it's too dark to see anything. The next day I come out of the hotel and there is a HUGE puddle of oil around the car ... it encompassed the front wheels!! I check out the dipstick and it is DRY. s***, I'm late for my flight so I just head out for the airport. I get there and the car is clunking and sounding like s*** and running hot as I pull it into the rental place. They don't notice s*** and send me on my way. I feel bad for whomever ended up buying that car when they were done with it!

[/random curbing story] :)

probably time for a motor rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom