nv4500 bell housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been told that the bell housing for a 93 and up GM NV4500 will not bolt up to a pre 87 SBC. Is this right? ???

I thought all bolt patterns were the same. Just the pilot bearings were different. I know that it's a 1 piece rear main seal.

Of course it's a bunch of heep lovers givin me the info!! :mad:

It will bolt up. The only problem with the factory bell is that the shift fork on the 93-95 comes out where the cruiser front driveshaft wants to be, so an AA bell is needed. I don't know about the 96+ bell, check out Medusa's (Jack Rice) site for his pics.

Dave

i have a bell houseing from the gm dealer (cheaper than aa)it bolts to my sbc and my nv4500 both are from a gm and the clutch fork is on the drivers side

It could be the info is coming from some confusion. The bolt pattern on the back of the bellhousing where it mates to the transmission is not the same as early muncie style patterns. So you can't take a 4500 and bolt it to an old bellhousing, however, on the front all the bellhousings will bolt to any small block, early or late.

You can still use an older bellhousing with a 4500 but it involves using an adapter plate from AA. One adavantage being that the adapter plate is cheaper than an AA bellhousing if you happen to have an old GM model sitting around.

I had the same problem. They are different, the four bolt pattern on the bell housing did change. The lower bolts are higher than the old NV's. I got the wrong one from AA and sent it back for the right one.

Anyone know how much longer the nv is over the stock toyo 4 speed? and how long is the adapter plate for tcase?

I can move my small block forward about 6". If I went to the shorty pump, probably 8". I know that bastard is long, but if it's under 8", I'm all over it.

[quote author=Dinkleberry link=board=1;threadid=4110;start=msg42286#msg42286 date=1063840749] I know that bastard is long, but if it's under 8", I'm all over it.
[/quote]Thats what she said.

Dink, have you been over to read Jack Rice's web page (Medusa)? Not only a top notch installation but also a great job documenting the job (Thanks Jack).

He and I did stuff a little different. The motor mounts for Jack's engine were about 9.5 inches behind the front shock tower (according to the web site). IIRC that puts the engine about 6 inches forward of stock.

To help with driveshaft length I moved my engine up 7.5 inches, moved the radiator up by 1.5 inches, and went to a short water pump. This way I could have the motor forward and still have room for a HD clutch fan.

[quote author=Dinkleberry link=board=1;threadid=4110;start=msg42286#msg42286 date=1063840749]
Anyone know how much longer the nv is over the stock toyo 4 speed? and how long is the adapter plate for tcase?

I can move my small block forward about 6". If I went to the shorty pump, probably 8". I know that bastard is long, but if it's under 8", I'm all over it.
[/quote]

I'm running the AA adapter to the split case and the transfer-mounted parking brake in my 40. My fan is about 2 1/2" away the radiator although I have the long water pump. The whole combo is long enough that I had to cut my tubular crossmember and make another further back.

Sorry I can't measure the tranny as the skidplate is in the way, but AA's NV4500 manual states the lengths you need including the adapter.

Dave

The NV4500 is a long transmission. The entire gear assembly is 34.81" long, including bellhousing (5.312"), transmission (12.375"), adapter (5.875") and TC(10.25"). This produces a very short rear driveshaft. If you move the engine mack much further, you will encounter problems with the rear driveshaft, especially with a spring-over conversion. Basically, you want to place en engine as far forward as possible.

i will tell you again i have a gm bell houseing from gm paid about $180.00 for it ,it bolts right up to a gm NV4500 that bolts up to a atlas tc with no adaptors at all, the atlas has the same bolt patern as a th400, and the bell houseing bolts up to my k block sbc (pre 86)with all that info should save you about $800.00 unless you want to spend the money you could make the NV4500 shorter but why spend $400.00 on takeing the balancer out of the rear of the NV 4500 which AA does, its alot of work for what? if you want part #s let me know? oh and my clutch fork is on the drivers side, sure you don,t want part #s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom