NSS wiring and pin color codes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All, I’ve searched the forum for a previous post to help me with my question, but can’t find anything. I’ve searched the internet and also spent 2 hours at the dealership parts counter today. I’ve rebuilt my entire engine harness and I’m down to my last connector. The female connector that plugs into the NSS (neutral safety switch) harness. It was previously repaired before I bought the truck and it was just assembled using crimp connectors, (looks like it was smashed between the starter and trans flange). Everyone shows the male NSS plug but not the actual harness on the truck. The pictures I posted show the 9 pin plugs. If someone can show me the pin layout for this with color codes I’d be grateful. Photos attached are what I currently have in front of me. And I think I know what I need to do. But I don’t want to be guessing when someone has the answer.

DD985951-CF8F-4358-8215-51AD21F875C4.jpeg

A68F7DB1-7B6E-427A-9E6F-0E237838268E.jpeg

1CD8D0DC-3B29-43C4-9BBC-71B53AD0597B.jpeg

Post #4
1682553396483.jpeg

Last edited:
All,
I’m looking for a second opinion on this wiring code and pin out. voodu3 replied with some photons of his but they are not remotely close to what mine shows. Thanks in advance

Download your factory service manual from the link in my signature, it has the actual electrical wiring diagrams and connector pinnouts in them. You can check yourself.

The trouble you're having finding the correct pinouts is that the connector housings you're looking for aren't switches, they're junctions. You want EC1 and EC2, joining the engine and transmission harnesses. EC1 is the NSS connector.
1682621454224.png

1682620919441.png

1682620951144.png

The female connector housings are numbered left to right, top to bottom, the males are opposite. The wire colors are not always the same on both sides of mating terminals.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Toyota only provided pinouts (and not complete ones at that) for the switch/sensor connectors, not the joining connectors, so you have to search the EWD for all occurrences of the junction (joining) connector and get the terminal numbers from there. You didn't state the year, so I posted the later ('95-'97) pinouts. The earlier years are different; you'll have to use this method to find what you need.
1682622683792.png

1682622785373.png

1682622900475.png

Last edited:
One important note, the double headed arrows indicate the male side connector. Terminal wires for terminal (6) are not the same color on both sides; all others are. Also, note the wire colors on the EWD are body color/tracer color. For example, terminal (6) has a red wire with a green tracer on the male side (R/G), and a red wire with an orange tracer on the female side (R/O).
1682623198360.png

For the sake of completeness, here is EC2:
1682623583314.png

1682623639851.png

Positions (6) & (7) aren't used.

This is the main benefit to having a PDF version of the FSM. It's so much easier to find what you know is there, but can't remember the location of, than a paper copy. I used to print pages until I copied a complete FSM/EWD onto my shop laptop. I just make all my notes there, so I don't have them in too many places.

With three 80s in the driveway, I know that I'll never do any one job just once.

Although the EWD doesn't specifically annotate this, the backup, tail and stop lights are also indirectly in these circuits, so if you have poor connection(s) in either EC1/EC2, you'll have problems with the combination meter lights (PRNDL2) and rear lights. I found out the hard way when my heater hose connection to the head failed and sprayed coolant all over EC1. The wire harness repair manual says "waterproof". It's not.

This is the ubiquitous "pesky heater hose" (PHH). FWIW, some jackleg had previously tried to outsmart Toyota and had replaced the hose and clamp with a garden hose worm drive clamp and Gates green stripe (SAE-sized) hose. If I ever find that guy...

@Malleus posted the wrong year NSS diagrams. The round 9 pin connector is for the dash tally lamps and is connector B1 which feeds connector IH1.
Pinouts below for 1991 and 1994.

1682627783591.png

Pinout for 1994

1682627972606.png

Later models use P1 in place of B1.

1682628213836.png

FWIW, I intentionally didn't post the NSS pinouts, because that's not what I interpreted the OP's request to be. I intended to post them, until I reread the OP's first post...

I couldn't find the OP's year anywhere in the question...maybe @wisconsin 80 can help out by providing more details on exactly what he needs.

Also, the IH1 & IH2 connections are in the dash, not near the NSS...
1682692752807.png

Folks really need to supply some basic information like model year and market to get a reasonable answer, or simply download the correct year Toyota FSM and EWD and find the information using one's own eyeballs.

FWIW, the OP wrote, "Everyone shows the male NSS plug but not the actual harness on the truck. The pictures I posted show the 9 pin plugs. If someone can show me the pin layout for this with color codes I’d be grateful.

I take that to mean that he wanted the pin layout of the NSS, but I could be wrong.

Agreed. My intent was more to illustrate "how" to go about finding junction pinouts, than to show "what" those particular pinouts were. I used what I thought would be a beneficial illustrative example.

All,
I apologize for any confusion my original post caused.
My simple question was for someone to provide the pin outs for the wiring going from the harness to the NSS connection. My Land Cruiser is a 93. The original wiring at this connector was butchered before I bought the truck. From the harness, I have 7 wires which are Red, Red with black tracer, orange, black with orange tracer, red with blue tracer, green with blue tracer, yellow.
The NSS has 8 wires that are yellow, light brown, green, white, light blue, red, black, orange.
Currently it is wired as follows
First color is Truck harness color to second color is NSS color
Red to red
Red with black tracer to black
Orange to orange
Black with orange tracer to light brown
Red with blue tracer to green
green with blue tracer to white
Yellow to light blue
That leaves the NSS yellow unused.

I just need to know what colors on the harness connect to what color wires in the NSS so I can put them together. Hopefully this makes it more clear. I’ve tried to download the FSM here but it will not function properly so I have ordered the manual and waiting for it to arrive.

In my original post I stated that I was at Toyota and we couldn’t find anything in their computer system that gave the answer. I figured it was going to be a question for someone who has made this repair already and knows the answer or can just look at their connectors and see what it is. I do see that I put my truck information in my introduction post but didn’t add it in my wiring post. My apologies.

In my original post I stated that I was at Toyota and we couldn’t find anything in their computer system that gave the answer. I figured it was going to be a question for someone who has made this repair already and knows the answer or can just look at their connectors and see what it is. I do see that I put my truck information in my introduction post but didn’t add it in my wiring post. My apologies.
If you put the info in your signature, you won't have to remember it...

All,
I apologize for any confusion my original post caused.
My simple question was for someone to provide the pin outs for the wiring going from the harness to the NSS connection. My Land Cruiser is a 93. The original wiring at this connector was butchered before I bought the truck. From the harness, I have 7 wires which are Red, Red with black tracer, orange, black with orange tracer, red with blue tracer, green with blue tracer, yellow.
The NSS has 8 wires that are yellow, light brown, green, white, light blue, red, black, orange.
Currently it is wired as follows
First color is Truck harness color to second color is NSS color
Red to red
Red with black tracer to black
Orange to orange
Black with orange tracer to light brown
Red with blue tracer to green
green with blue tracer to white
Yellow to light blue
That leaves the NSS yellow unused.

I just need to know what colors on the harness connect to what color wires in the NSS so I can put them together. Hopefully this makes it more clear. I’ve tried to download the FSM here but it will not function properly so I have ordered the manual and waiting for it
You'll need to do what I did above, using the '93 EWD (I think the '94 is the same, FWIW), which is in the Resources section. Unless someone has a '93 they want to crawl under for you, but then you're taking their word that their wiring is correct...

I made a cursory review of the '94 pinouts, and they appear to be the same as the '95 pinouts I posted above. For whatever help that provides.

BTW, there are multiple harnesses in the truck; they are illustrated in the wiring routing diagrams. What you're referring to as the "truck harness" is actually the engine harness. The "NSS "harness is the transmission harness.

I just need to know what colors on the harness connect to what color wires in the NSS so I can put them together. Hopefully this makes it more clear. I’ve tried to download the FSM here but it will not function properly so I have ordered the manual and waiting for it to arrive.
See post #11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom