November Hill Country Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Afternoon all. First up, I’ve never posted in a clubhouse section, so I don’t know if it needs to stay tech. If it does, feel free to move this as needed.

I’m a Kansan, but I’ve spent a few summers down by Big Spring, Uvalde, and Leakey. Also a few months in Zapata. That was for sailplane/hang glider/paraglider stuff. I always loved swimming and tubing the Frio, and generally how cool and refreshing the whole area was compared to the desert SE of their, both the climate and people.

I’m surprising my wife with an Anniversary trip to the elephant preserve by Fredericksburg in November. We will be down there for 4 days. Realizing it will likely be too cool to go tubing, what are some other stuff that’s fun to do? I want to show her Enchanted Rock, maybe putz around a night in Luckenbach. Wouldn’t mind kayaking some(and driving Highway 16 on the way), possibly The Medina River as I’ve heard good stuff about it. Of course BBQ and beer. I’ve heard Farm Rd. 1323 is very scenic, but will it be any good in Nov? Also, is camping decent this time of year?

Lastly, what are your gun laws like for out of staters? Namely, a pistol in the car, not necessarily on my person.

I really appreciate suggestions and ideas, guys! We’ve had to cancel like four trips this year, and she’s jonesing.

Thanks, Michael!

Afternoon all. First up, I’ve never posted in a clubhouse section, so I don’t know if it needs to stay tech. If it does, feel free to move this as needed.

I’m a Kansan, but I’ve spent a few summers down by Big Spring, Uvalde, and Leakey. Also a few months in Zapata. That was for sailplane/hang glider/paraglider stuff. I always loved swimming and tubing the Frio, and generally how cool and refreshing the whole area was compared to the desert SE of their, both the climate and people.

I’m surprising my wife with an Anniversary trip to the elephant preserve by Fredericksburg in November. We will be down there for 4 days. Realizing it will likely be too cool to go tubing, what are some other stuff that’s fun to do? I want to show her Enchanted Rock, maybe putz around a night in Luckenbach. Wouldn’t mind kayaking some(and driving Highway 16 on the way), possibly The Medina River as I’ve heard good stuff about it. Of course BBQ and beer. I’ve heard Farm Rd. 1323 is very scenic, but will it be any good in Nov? Also, is camping decent this time of year?

Lastly, what are your gun laws like for out of staters? Namely, a pistol in the car, not necessarily on my person.

I really appreciate suggestions and ideas, guys! We’ve had to cancel like four trips this year, and she’s jonesing.

Thanks, Michael!
If you possess a license to carry a consesled handgun in Kansas, look to see if Texas honors it. If it does, you should be good. If not, check with the DPScwebpage for guidance. I believe you may carry it in a glove box but do not quote me on that.
2. There is a great Hill Country loop that starts or ends in Fredericksburg. Enchanted Rock is nice and the weather should be good and not hot or humid.
3. Don't even think about drinking and driving in Texas. When we go out, either my wife or I am the designated driver and 1 drink/beer maximum.
4. Not far from Fredericksburg is Johnson City and the LBJ ranch national monument. If its open, well worth the drive. Its run by the National Park Service

If you possess a license to carry a consesled handgun in Kansas, look to see if Texas honors it. If it does, you should be good. If not, check with the DPScwebpage for guidance. I believe you may carry it in a glove box but do not quote me on that.
2. There is a great Hill Country loop that starts or ends in Fredericksburg. Enchanted Rock is nice and the weather should be good and not hot or humid.
3. Don't even think about drinking and driving in Texas. When we go out, either my wife or I am the designated driver and 1 drink/beer maximum.
4. Not far from Fredericksburg is Johnson City and the LBJ ranch national monument. If its open, well worth the drive. Its run by the National Park Service

Thanks! Kansas is constitutional carry, so I doubt that carries over to you guys, for me. I’ll check that link.

Any idea what that loop is called? Is it a highway or off-road trail type deal?

Good heads up on the getting pulled over. I’ve got a CDL, don’t need any trouble there.

Texas has reciprocal LTC laws with Kansas. TxDPS - Agreements with Other States
Enchanted Rock allows limited number of cars, so you have to be there early
Garner State Park should be good for camping, not too crowded and Texas weather is relatively mild in Nov.

Thanks! Kansas is constitutional carry, so I doubt that carries over to you guys, for me. I’ll check that link.

Any idea what that loop is called? Is it a highway or off-road trail type deal?

Good heads up on the getting pulled over. I’ve got a CDL, don’t need any trouble there.
Texas Hill Country loop. It is on Gaia as Texas Hill route i believe.
Also, in Texas you have a duty to advise LEO if you have a firearm in the vehicle, and no permit/no carry, concealed or not.
Enjoy your time in Our Hill Country, spring and fall are heaven in Texas

I think you may need to reserve ahead for enchanted rock.

You can’t hike it without a reservation, is it a Covid thing? I’ll have to check that out. I appreciate it. Seems weird. So far, Texas is more restrictive about some stuff, than Kansas.

I'm doing a mountain bike campout with a couple of childhood buds from Houston at Reveille Peak and will be hitting Spider Mountain, too. Leaving Austin around noon on the 16th and returning on the 18th.

Just another option if you mountain bike.

I'm doing a mountain bike campout with a couple of childhood buds from Houston at Reveille Peak and will be hitting Spider Mountain, too. Leaving Austin around noon on the 16th and returning on the 18th.

Just another option if you mountain bike.

Nice. I appreciate the info.

First time hearing about spider mountain... how technical? and how many snake bites do you normally get per day?

No snake bites with tubeless tires.

Spider is a lift access bike park. Different stuff for everyone.

that's an awesome preview video.... can't wait to break my other clavicle there.

the reservations for hiking at Enchanted Rock are due to its popularity. Gets real crowded real fast especially in the fall and spring, and if it rains they close the trails on the rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom