Not your average “Christmas tree” lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1995 fzj 80
I parked my 80 about two hours ago and when i came back the A/T oil temp, catalytic converter, oil level and battery light came on. The alternator and battery are brand new but it has been snowing and raining for the past week. Ive looked everywhere on ih8m and cant find anything to do with this combination. Ive checked the fluids and any leaks onto fuse boxes and haven't found anything.
423E84E8-DBBB-4935-BF06-59EF359673FC.jpeg
206ED53F-E0B7-4B4B-B1FA-F4060FA89E4F.jpeg
70D7DDDD-0CE6-43B7-A490-298100B8A276.jpeg
58D5720E-FE4D-499F-B2E3-6850AE2F9A4F.jpeg

Those look like typical "failed charging" lamps to me.
If the belts are not slipping on the alternator, then you have a charging system issue.
What is the voltage output of the alternator as measured with a meter?
What is the voltage across the battery terminals with and without the motor running?

Those look like typical "failed charging" lamps to me.
If the belts are not slipping on the alternator, then you have a charging system issue.
What is the voltage output of the alternator as measured with a meter?
What is the voltage across the battery terminals with and without the motor running?
The voltage through the battery whille running 8.1 and when its off its 8.7 sounds like a bad alternator

The voltage through the battery whille running 8.1 and when its off its 8.7 sounds like a bad alternator
Please recheck those voltages.
The engine would not run on 8 volts.
Or you have a shorted cell in the battery and it's just running off the alternator.
What is the voltage output of the alternator?

Please recheck those voltages.
The engine would not run on 8 volts.
Or you have a shorted cell in the battery and it's just running off the alternator.
What is the voltage output of the alternator?
My bad thats my first time have to do that I got around 11.8 volts through the battery while running and 11.2 through the alternator

My bad thats my first time have to do that I got around 11.8 volts through the battery while running and 11.2 through the alternator
Did you replace the alternator with an OEM Denso unit?

I got around 11.8 volts through the battery while running and 11.2 through the alternator
That's pretty much what you'd get if you have a healthy battery and the alternator was completely disconnected. i.e. running at a complete loss.

I would start by making sure all the connections are clean and tight (including the battery terminals), make sure the multi-wire plastic connector on the alternator is properly seated, then move on to verifying continuity across all of the wires involved.

Incidentally, there's a catalytic converter warning light?!

That's pretty much what you'd get if you have a healthy battery and the alternator was completely disconnected. i.e. running at a complete loss.

I would start by making sure all the connections are clean and tight (including the battery terminals), make sure the multi-wire plastic connector on the alternator is properly seated, then move on to verifying continuity across all of the wires involved.

Incidentally, there's a catalytic converter warning lighi

Incidentally, there's a catalytic converter warning light?!
Its been raining and snowing the past couple of days so maybe its just dirty I live in the city so huge puddles are common unfortunately the car died on me completely about an hour ago so hopefully its an easy fix. I checked the belts and the pullies and they seem to be fine also check if there is any water in the fuse boxes in the engine bay and inside the car and those were also fine. Ill give an update when I can thank you for your help

I am not no electrical kinda guy. But try this. Check voltage on batt with truck turned off. Then start truck and check at batt again. It should be higher with it running if alt is working. Real simple.

But that is just the start of finding problems. But dont go digging through a bunch of wiring and fuse boxes until you know you are getting 14v from the back of the alt. Also a bad batt will cause problems as well. So start with both of those things.

Just read your post again. Sounds to me like 11.2v at alt is less than batt voltage while running. Your alt is not powering the system. It ran until the batt got to low then died.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom