Not stranded but... Very loud rushing air sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Experiencing something odd.

2000 land cruiser. 200,000 miles.

When pushing on the gas both in park, and while driving, there is a loud rushing sound of air. I believe it might be fan related, but I'm not sure.

It is not affecting performance but I am concerned as we are preparing to leave for a 3000 mile trip.

My guess is that it is the fan clutch. It is turning the same speed as the motor. if my guess is right, shouldn't affect anything except gas mileage and engine temperature.

Any other guest?

Fan clutch may have failed to the locked position. This happened to me. No real harm other than gas mileage and annoyance until you can change it.

Experiencing something odd.

2000 land cruiser. 200,000 miles.

When pushing on the gas both in park, and while driving, there is a loud rushing sound of air. I believe it might be fan related, but I'm not sure.

It is not affecting performance but I am concerned as we are preparing to leave for a 3000 mile trip.

My guess is that it is the fan clutch. It is turning the same speed as the motor. if my guess is right, shouldn't affect anything except gas mileage and engine temperature.

Any other guest?

Fan clutch. Really cold morning when you noticed it? May go away when warmed up.

I first noticed it on a cold morning, and it hasn't went away. I agree, the fan clutch is what makes the most sense for certain. I will get one ordered. Easy fix I think. Does the fan shroud have to come out, or can you take the fan and clutch out with it still in place?

Fan clutch must be OEM or AISIN. Other brands are junk, will have the clutch engaged at all times and will experience the roar sound at all times.

Motor off, barely budge the fan. Bad clutch. Part will be at Toyota in the morning, easy parking lot repair I think. If I don't need to remove the shroud it will be easier.

I believe it can be done without removing the shroud. First remove the air intake pipe/resonator and the engine cover. Then remove the fan off the clutch (4 small bolts in front.... maybe 12mm). The fan can be removed from the top in like a spinning motion. Then lastly, remove the clutch.

I want to say I took the fan and clutch out together, but it’s been a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom