Not All Column Supports Are Created Equal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The holes on the lower steering column bracket (secures the column to the dash) I have do not match up with the holes in the dash. Oh, talkin' about a '74 FJ40 body. Upper bracket's o.k. Go figure. What I need is one with an elongated space for a hole, I'm guessing, just like the upper bracket. Looked around online, SOR & such, with no luck. So, do I have this all wrong, or where can I go to get the right one?

Vic, the upper part of the support bracket is a HUGE piece behind the dash that both the brake and clutch pedals hang from AND the booster attaches to.

If you loosen up these items, you should be able to wiggle the whole subassembly around until all three sets of holes line up.

Best

Mark A.

Mark, the part I'm speaking of, and obviously not describing very well, is #32 in the parts diagram below. The holes in that bracket do not match up with the holes in the underside of the dash. The upper bracket does, however.

Last edited:
Mark, the part I'm speaking of, and obviously not describing very well, is #32 in the parts diagram below. The holes in that bracket do not match up with the holes in the underside of the dash. The upper bracket does, however.

It even looks like that #32 has an elongated hole. I had one of these in my hand the other day, and I think it has an elongated hole. Want it? $10 shipped? I'll check tonight.

Since I cannot assume the obvious.............

you do realize that the bracket is asymetrical?

Mark, you're right, it should be longer on one side like the upper bracket is. As I've said before, I bought this truck pretty much disassembled. This is one of its "charming" little oddities. I could just weld an ear on the correct side of the lower bracket but I think I'll accept Eddie's offer. So, Eddie, I'll take it. Check PM. Thanks you guys.

Last edited:
I took some flat stock heated it and then bent it around a piece of pipe and drilled a few holes to make a similar bracket I needed . Just a suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom