SOLD NorCal 1996 FZJ80 mild build (slight/moderate theft attempt damage) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Please read entire post!

Sadly, some a******(s) tried to jack my 80. They were unsuccessful but did some damage to passenger front door, ignition, steering column and rear panel (while stealing an amp and subwoofer). One of the 3rd row seats was also stolen.

Long story short, insurance is going to call it a "Total Loss" and cut me a check - due to many of the parts needed for repair not being available any longer.

Here is the thing..,

I don't know how much they are going to give me yet, NOR do I know what the "buy it back" price will be. I should know Monday, 24th of June. I am guessing, dreadfully, that I am not going to get anywhere near what I have into it. I expect that and I don't have too much of an issue with it because we all know that we will NEVER get back what we put in to our rigs.

So here's what I am thinking . . .

Best case scenario - I get a check from insurance and then I buy the rig back (if the price is right), and sell it here (cheap) to make up for some of my loss. However, this is yet to be determined because again, I won't know until Monday what the details are. I am merely trying to get a head start on the process because I believe I will only have 24, maybe 48 hours to decide to buy it back.

I WOULD like to see it go to someone who will re-purpose it to a crawler and/or take the goodies off it, kinda' like an organ donor - thus increasing it's chance to get in to Land Cruiser Heaven :angelic:.

I DO NOT want it to go to auction, sit at Pick 'n Pull, or just die a lonely life in some salvage yard/field.

I DO NOT want to part it out. If someone here wants to buy it and then do so, that's great. I just don't have the time; or a place to keep it while I am disassembling.

Some of you might recognize it - as it was for sale here before. I decided to keep it - however, I changed the listing to SOLD because I couldn't figure out how to delete the post, and didn't feel like taking the time to figure it out hahaha).

I am going to attach some pics of the rig and the damage done and some receipts of recent work and parts. It's been barely a year since the suspension and bushings went on and less than a year since the rebuilt motor went in. I don't think I put more than 4k miles on the new motor but I'll have to check to verify.

IT DOES NOT HAVE FACTORY LOCKERS. Has poor man home-done center diff lock with button on dash :)

IT DOES HAVE 4x4 Labs rear dual swing bumper with spare tire carrier and Jerry can rack.
Has OME suspension/ lift and stabilizer (see image for details on springs, etc.).
Has Specter Off Road poly bushing kit.
The paint has oxidized quite a bit in last year or so and doesn't really show in photos. So, it appears better in photos than in person.
NO RUST! Pretty sure it's been a Cali car it's entire life.

Pictures, before and after and some receipts coming soon...

12.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

A few receipts so you guys know what springs, struts, etc. are on the truck.

22.jpg

33.jpg

88.jpg

1010.jpg

Last edited:
I'll put a price up on here on Monday when I get the 'buy it back' number from insurance and know if it's even worth going through the hassle. Thanks guys/gals. Have a great weekend!
Jason

Sorry to see this happen. Such a bummer. Hopefully insurance will give you a good deal, but I don't see enough damage to call it a total loss. Seems like you could get the parts you need from a donor and replace what was damaged no?

Sorry to see this happen. Such a bummer. Hopefully insurance will give you a good deal, but I don't see enough damage to call it a total loss. Seems like you could get the parts you need from a donor and replace what was damaged no?
They (insurance) will only replace with new OEM parts. It would be super easy to source parts here, eBay, etc. but I don't have the time for a scavenger hunt. I'm heartbroken over the whole thing and just want it to 'be over with.' Working on the truck, sourcing parts, waiting for deliveries, etc. etc. just doesn't sound appealing at all. It's totally worth doing, but I just want to make a clean break from it all and be done with it. I have an '83 FJ60 and an '00 LX470 as a daily driver so I still have some LC love around me. :)

I’m interested. Please let me know what their offer is and what it’ll take to buy it. Thanks.

Hi All..
I am still waiting to hear from insurance. I'll post something here as soon as I have some new information.
Thank you.

Okay guys. To make it worth my while (buying it back, more paperwork, storing it, etc.) I'd like to get $3k for it. It'll need ignition repaired before it gets back on the road. I've got 72 hours for someone to pick it up. Thanks.

I'm going to have to back out. It's a little higher than I wanted, as I'd need to move the truck from your location to Southern Arizona. It wouldn't be feasible with the shipping costs. Thanks, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom