noob 1st/2nd intro posting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Back to the CA streets build

putting my progress in the same thread as it goes.
Drive-able yes, fixed no...:popcorn:

Wassup all! 1st post on MUD, thought it should be introduction style.

Picked up a fairly use 84' FJ60; lots more rust then I care to deal with but hey when it's close to free you can't complain to much.

Buddy was driving until two yrs ago when he stopped driving it due to the smog pump failing, yep you guessed it power steering spewed down and toasted the smog, so then he pulled off the carb and left it in pieces. Forward 2yrs now it's in my back yard.

So I plan to fix the three known issues and go from there, wish me luck:cheers:

20130803_113821.jpg

20130803_113912.jpg

Last edited:
Smog pump

Good luck on that with CARB - you'll need all of that junk. When you yank it and tear it apart, make sure not to damage the "vanes" that are inside, its the only part that is pretty much NLA - you can get better sealed bearings to replace the OEM ones if they're fried.

Otherwise keep an eye on the "classifieds" (middle red button forum) and see if someone in a non-smog part of the world is selling or giving away their smog junk. Happens quite a bit, as folks desmog.

Welcome aboard!

Glenn in Tucson

Whats the little dealie on the hood for?

No such thing as a bad cruiser, rust or not! They all have character or a story to tell. As said before, welcome to the madness!

Welcome to mud!

WELCOME!!! :D

-Daniel Kent

Welcome and X2 on the thing on the hood?

welcome to MUD! since you are in CA, Georg at Valley hybrids in Stockton might have parts if you PM him, great guy, screen name is orangefj45 runs a sweet shop with lots of cool goodies!

:flipoff2: <- official mud welcome

Got the cruiser running this weekend!!!!

Had the carb rebuilt, drained fuel tank, new fuel filter, new fuel pump. Its running now so were on to the next items...

Vacuum lines
Power steering
Smog pump
Then registration and ca smog

That's awesome!

Sorry I missed your introduction before.

Welcome to MUD :flipoff2:

The piece on the hood could be to secure a spare tire?

Going GOOD! got a bunch of the vacuum lines redone and figured out the idle circuit
vacuum at 18in and steady!

DROVE AROUND THE BLOCK FOR THE FIRST TIME, whoot whoot! Felt so good

Now onto the power steering, any suggestions/info before I start into this?

Is the roof rusted out as badly as it looks?

Speculation on the "hood dealy"

Could the PO have had HAM radio gear on it? Looks like if you had a flexible high-gain antenna off of the roof, it could have been bent over to that for travel.

Can't say it would be hoss enough to attach a tire like I've seen on some of the rover's, and the hood doesn't look like its had a heavy tire on there - no paint scuff or dents.

Congrats and driving around. I would suggest that since you don't have any PS right now, you may want to search for the volvo conversion - you get a better *non-leaky* pump for your time and effort. Biggest problem is fabricating a new bracket for the power steering pump to hang off of. There are a number of threads about how people have done it.

$.02

Glenn in Tucson

Could the PO have had HAM radio gear on it? Looks like if you had a flexible high-gain antenna off of the roof, it could have been bent over to that for travel.

Can't say it would be hoss enough to attach a tire like I've seen on some of the rover's, and the hood doesn't look like its had a heavy tire on there - no paint scuff or dents.

Congrats and driving around. I would suggest that since you don't have any PS right now, you may want to search for the volvo conversion - you get a better *non-leaky* pump for your time and effort. Biggest problem is fabricating a new bracket for the power steering pump to hang off of. There are a number of threads about how people have done it.

$.02

Glenn in Tucson

Actually the fm antenna is a cb high gain so you could be right.

Yes I'm planning to do the saginaw style conversation. Will attempt to build my mount in lieu of buying one.

Ended up staying home this weekend and ripping in to the pumps.

Got them out in a few hrs with minor frustration.

Ordering a steering pump rebuild kit. Also picked at a saginaw pump and will review getting installed
Ordered a new smog air pump cuz mine is toasted.

Pics when I'm at a pc the phone app crashes...

ForumRunner_20131013_155223.jpg

ForumRunner_20131013_155320.jpg

Last edited:
Ha looks like the photos went even with the errors

Also grabbed a heat shield off a ford 302 engine to modify for the heat riser

ForumRunner_20131013_155544.jpg

ForumRunner_20131013_155556.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom