NON lift suspension options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally had a hardline rust through and leak on my AHC so its getting torn out since the other 3 are probably soon behind it and the globes have been on the edge of needing replacement for years.

I have no interest in a lift (ive lived that life before) but I would also like something a little better then the standard LC suspension.

What is a good set up these days? I assume use the toyota torsion bars and springs, but is there a decent non lift shock? I dont offroad anymore so this is a road trip/ski/bike vehicle. I allready have airbags to help the load when fully packed for road trips so i dont need a heavy weight spring set in the rear. Just looking for some better shock options and most seem to be associated with a 1.5+ lift.

The absolute smoothest system is either keeping AHC and bringing it back up to original quality with new components and hardlines.

The next best would be factory LC springs and OEM shocks, and/or (it's subjective) some 0-2" top of the line shocks from dobinson/icon/fox/slee. You can run stock heights with many of the aftermarket shocks as up travel is limited by other components - but its worth putting a call into the manufacturer to make sure the shock is at an acceptable/optimal point in it's stroke if the vehicle is at stock height.

Much of the biggest cumulative suspension improvement on my 100 has come from replacing bushings and not from shock or spring upgrades. Something to keep in mind if you go for a rebuild. Worth doing them at the same time.

For my .$02 I would replace the AHC components and do suspension bushings. It's truly one of the best suspension systems Toyota has ever produced 👍

I finally had a hardline rust through and leak on my AHC so its getting torn out since the other 3 are probably soon behind it and the globes have been on the edge of needing replacement for years.

I have no interest in a lift (ive lived that life before) but I would also like something a little better then the standard LC suspension.

What is a good set up these days? I assume use the toyota torsion bars and springs, but is there a decent non lift shock? I dont offroad anymore so this is a road trip/ski/bike vehicle. I allready have airbags to help the load when fully packed for road trips so i dont need a heavy weight spring set in the rear. Just looking for some better shock options and most seem to be associated with a 1.5+ lift.
You can probably get some used stock springs on the cheap from someone upgrading to Old Man Emu springs. Stock shocks. Stock torsion bars will be expensive, old man emu t-bars are pretty affordable and don't necessarily have to be cranked up.

The absolute smoothest system is either keeping AHC and bringing it back up to original quality with new components and hardlines.

The next best would be factory LC springs and OEM shocks, and/or (it's subjective) some 0-2" top of the line shocks from dobinson/icon/fox/slee. You can run stock heights with many of the aftermarket shocks as up travel is limited by other components - but its worth putting a call into the manufacturer to make sure the shock is at an acceptable/optimal point in it's stroke if the vehicle is at stock height.

Much of the biggest cumulative suspension improvement on my 100 has come from replacing bushings and not from shock or spring upgrades. Something to keep in mind if you go for a rebuild. Worth doing them at the same time.

For my .$02 I would replace the AHC components and do suspension bushings. It's truly one of the best suspension systems Toyota has ever produced 👍

I tried to keep the ACH running al long as possible, i have a tech stream computer, stay on top of pressures, added bags in the rear springs to keep everything in check But toyota wants $1k for a single hardline replacement and the other 3 arent far behind. Globes have been hanging on but failing. Its just not worth it anymore to drop 3k into the system that could just as soon see a pump fail or sensors start to crap out after north east rust and being 22 years old. Its got some body rust i hit with fluid film twice a year to mitigate but this is not a collectors item so im not fighting hard to keep the ach.

You can probably get some used stock springs on the cheap from someone upgrading to Old Man Emu springs. Stock shocks. Stock torsion bars will be expensive, old man emu t-bars are pretty affordable and don't necessarily have to be cranked up.
my first check was a part out here or local but there just arent that many around me to have a good pool to get used parts from. Its a 3rd vehicle so nu rush, but my wife will get tired of me taking her car for bike trips pretty fast

Most of the 100 series aftermarket lift kits, just change the resting point of the suspension, and offer some additional control for more than stock weight. A few offer a tiny bit of additional travel in the front, by using aftermarket UCAs and longer shocks.

You would probably be best served with used OE Toyota coils/torsion bars (if you can find them), or OME torsion bars (thinnest aftermarket bars), OME 865, Dobinsons C59-223V, or equivalent low lift/light weight rear springs, and OE Toyota (non-AHC) Land Cruiser shocks (will need to chase bushing retainers/washers).

In the case of a vehicle with rust issues and extremely fatigued OEM parts, I would go with factory Toyota equipment if you don't want a lift.

Tokico shocks are good and very cheap. Toyota springs and torsion bars as take offs are good and cheap if they can be found. I have OME torsion bars and rear springs for a mild lift. They are stiffer than factory which suits my use, but keep in mind the OME torsion bars might be stuff without additional weight. I have a metal bumper and winch on the front. The rear coils are fine.

I think I'm about to order the 865s, I just can't keep waiting on the 223Vs. However, I feel like I should say this, the last 2 things i ordered for myself that were Aussie products were BAD ASS!. I wish made in USA had the quality and feel I've recently found in a couple Aussie products..

I just did this on my LX470 after my AHC system failed. I first did the OME 1.5 lift kit (it’s about the same height as the “normal” setting on AHC). I personally found the OME ride too harsh (but handled well) and ended up swapping out OME shocks to OEM LC shocks. Was totally worth it. Feels very similar to AHC. Here’s a thread that might be helpful:

I just did this on my LX470 after my AHC system failed. I first did the OME 1.5 lift kit (it’s about the same height as the “normal” setting on AHC). I personally found the OME ride too harsh (but handled well) and ended up swapping out OME shocks to OEM LC shocks. Was totally worth it. Feels very similar to AHC. Here’s a thread that might be helpful:

how do you like the OME TBs with Toyota shocks? I dont have too much time to be hunting parts so i need to start pulling triggers. Im having troubled finding OEM take offs. I was going to order OEM rear springs and Shocks (and hardware) with OME TBs friday if i cant get parts lined up.

how do you like the OME TBs with Toyota shocks? I dont have too much time to be hunting parts so i need to start pulling triggers. Im having troubled finding OEM take offs. I was going to order OEM rear springs and Shocks (and hardware) with OME TBs friday if i cant get parts lined up.
From my research, the TBs don't matter as much for ride quality when compared with the shocks. I've been running OME TBs and springs with the OEM shocks now and it's much more smooth than with OME all around.

I have a stock height Landcruiser I use for towing my bass boat and going out west off-roading once a year. It’s 95% on the road. I’m looking for about an inch lift in the rear without cranking the front torsion bars. Would the Dobinsin C59-223V or OME 2865s be better?

I have a stock height Landcruiser I use for towing my bass boat and going out west off-roading once a year. It’s 95% on the road. I’m looking for about an inch lift in the rear without cranking the front torsion bars. Would the Dobinsin C59-223V or OME 2865s be better?
I don't have any experience with the Dobinson spring, but the Old Man Emu spring you want is the 2860. From what I understand, the 2865 is stiffer but also a little bit SHORTER than the factory spring.

I have the 2860s in the back with Toyota Tokico shocks, for very similar purposes as you (pulling a small trailer and carrying a lot of camping gear) and it works great!

I don't have any experience with the Dobinson spring, but the Old Man Emu spring you want is the 2860. From what I understand, the 2865 is stiffer but also a little bit SHORTER than the factory spring.

I have the 2860s in the back with Toyota Tokico shocks, for very similar purposes as you (pulling a small trailer and carrying a lot of camping gear) and it works great!

The OME 2860/860 and the OME 2865/865 are supposed to be the same spring rate (220lb/in vs OE 170lb/in), but have different free heights.

The 2865/865 free height is slightly less than OE. The 2860/860 free height is slightly more than OE.

The 2865/865 has given a 1-1.5” lift in my vehicles, while the 2860/860 has given 2-2.5” lift.

The Dobinsons spring referenced above, is a shorter dual rate spring, part of the travel is in the 220lb/in range, as it compresses it scales up to the 300lb/in range, similar to the OME 2866/866, also giving 1-1.5” lift. I have a few sets of dual rate rear coils, and seem to prefer them over the single rate springs.

it looks like OEM shocks with all the dumb little hardware for the conversion is around $450. Are the Fox 2.0s an upgrade worth the extra $250? Or are the OEM shocks better and more reliable.

it looks like OEM shocks with all the dumb little hardware for the conversion is around $450. Are the Fox 2.0s an upgrade worth the extra $250? Or are the OEM shocks better and more reliable.
I don't know much about Fox, definitely seems they've gone from more custom to more might see them at Wal-Mart soon. I follow the Jeeping world too and it's the same there. I have Eibachs on both my LC100 and 08 Tundra and freaking love them on both applications, so there's a possibility. Eibach is known to engineer for specific vehicles and i think it shows on both my rigs.

I don't know much about Fox, definitely seems they've gone from more custom to more might see them at Wal-Mart soon. I follow the Jeeping world too and it's the same there. I have Eibachs on both my LC100 and 08 Tundra and freaking love them on both applications, so there's a possibility. Eibach is known to engineer for specific vehicles and i think it shows on both my rigs.

What eibachs do you have?

whats everyone thoughts on non OEM springs like MOOG. Im going to be running airbags but 3rd party is WAY cheaper than new OEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom