Non Chinese power tools anyone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
I think I may just visit the pawn shop.

I think I may just visit the pawn shop.

Good way to keep your cash local.

I would rather you pay the local toothless pawn guy than send that cash to china.

Now your thinking like me, tool truck parts, pawn guys prices. Excellent.

I am real cheap tho and dont like the prices most pawn guys are asking so I would much rather haggle with craigslisters.

Although some people hate craigslist. and the pawn shops are full of tools right now cuz everybody is out of work and pawning their stuff.

I just got an OLD black and aluminum Makita RIGHT ANGLE drill forma guy on CL for $30. Thats a 300+ drill if it was even made still, new ones are plastic and no where even close to as heavy duty. The guy was so happy I would use it. I bought a grinder, drill, heat gun, Milwa nibblers, a bunch of stuff from him. He said he had all these tools already and his father inlaw passed away and he said he just couldnt take them to the dump if someone could use them. I gave him $50 for all of them. The milwaukie nibblers are $200 alone new.

I LOVE used tools.

Agreed. You can score good deals on used tools. When shopping at pawnshops you need to avoid the big three, MAC, Matco, and Snap On, UNLESS, you can get a great deal on them. I gave 3 dollars for a SNap On 7/8s wrench, a Matco 5/8-3/4 combo, and a 7/16 deep well Snap on Socket. Lady didn't know what it was. But my other local pawnshop guys is really proud of his big three, but I can go in the back and score SK stuff for next to nothing as well as picking up great deals on old Craftsman, Proto, Plomb, etc. I have also scored some SK, BlackHawk, Matco, etc at a local surplus type store. But they found the internet and prices went up accordingly.

I really no longer by hand tools unless they are a killer deal, I have 5 of pretty much everything I have. In fact a bought a bunch of standard stuff awhile back and didn't need it. Don't even own anything with standard fasteners. I even build stuff and use metric fasteners because I have so many laying around. I love parting out cars to get the fasteners. Honda and Toyota use really nice metric hardware.

When buying at a pawnshop, deal in cash and haggle. If you don't you will pay to much. It will help if you go in there frequently so they know who you are.

How about Metabo grinders?

99.9999% of tools from china are crap. china = pos.

Unfortunately, I had a univeral joint job and had a friend go and pay for a c frame king pin/ujoint kit from harbor frieght tools. After removing the drive shaft, I could not get the ujoints out..non serviceable drive shaft for a bmw. But at least now, I own it. Amazingly cheap for how heavy it is. If I had time, and knew what to look for that was 20-30 years old, I would by used and repair it. Old cast aluminum or steel holds up to abuse any day vs plastic even though, plastic seems to do well as it stands.

Old cast aluminum or steel holds up to abuse any day vs plastic even though, plastic seems to do well as it stands.

Its not a metal VS plastic debate.

Plastic is a indicator of things like bushings, lighter wiring, crappy windings and bad plastic gears and less beef.

Metal tools were made in a time when brushes were replaceable and the copper windings were heavier and bearings were used were a bushing would be used today.

:doh:

7ec37cd9c6.jpg

Guess some metabo is Germany some China.

Here is what I know how china's factories are able to produce items so cheaply.

When a group of organized Chinese investors want to borrow money to start a factory the investors apply for a loan from the Chinese government. In return, the Chinese government will loan the investors the funds needed to build the export factories. In return, the Chinese government will have a 1/2 ownership in the company. While the factory is under construction, there will also be a workers dormitory that will be constructed to house all the workers and is built right next to the factory. This construction model will eliminate the need for the transportation of works between living quarters and there place of employment. Each room in the "living quarters" dorm houses four people to each room and some times more per room. In some of these rooms, there are bumkbeds for the workers to sleep in. This makes living expenses low, compared to western society where we have mortgages, cars to get to work, and so on. This makes working at the factory job affordable is most of your needs are met such as food shelter and so on with the little wages thay earn.

If the Chinese worker issues a complaint to the government based on working conditions, the complaint is largely ignored because, the company is half owned by the government.

There is little to no environmental pollution controls which would increase the overhead of the product and possibly slow down production. If you want to see proof of this, just power up google earth, and focus on the Yangzee river spilling pollute water into the ocean.

Now you may think, what does Vancouver BC where I live, have to do with china. Well, we have a large Chinese population here. And a percentage own a stake or outright , own factories in china. About 10-15 years ago, before china took over Hong Kong, a large amount of these owners moved to Vancouver British Columbia due to the fear of the Chinese government crackdown by government forces as a result of its poor human rights record. It was easy for these owners to immigrate to Canada because China was a part of the British Commonwealth or, was part of it so I do not know its status. With these Chinese immigrants, came large bank accounts from the vast profits they earned from there factories. They continued to over bid on homes here, increasing the un-affordability of homes here.

I believe, all of the US import/export troubles started way back in the President Nixon erra when he eliminated import terrifs. I can remember way back in the 1970s, when most imported products were made in Japan, then Korea. The exports of us products continued to slide after President Regan was in office and instituted his "Ragenomics" policies on the US economy. It was 1990s? that NAFTA was proposed and Ross Perot Vehemently opposed this proposal because as he said "It would create that great sucking sound" as us product production would shift to overseas production and thousands and millions of jobs in the United States would be lost. HE WAS RIGHT.

I will unfortunately, will have to buy Chinese made goods but, I will also buy American as long as it has the quality I am looking for. If I have to pay more for it, fine. It is usually a better made product that will last a good long time. BTW, want to support the us economy? Make something for some one for Christmas. At least the materials are made locally, and the US Currency stays in circulation ;)

Last edited:
China was granted most favored nation status with reciprocal free trade in 1980 by the Carter andministration. For the next 20 years it was renewed on an annual basis. In 2000 the status was made permanent during the Clinton Administration.
NAFTA has very little to do with China, other than making it more likely we will buy things made in Mexico and Canada.
Tarifs are a double edged sword. Consumer prices go up and US exports go down. Look up how well tarifs worked for Herbert Hoover, which was the last time we raised tarifs on a large scale.

I often wonder how many of these people that complain about things not be produced locally anymore actually want a low paid job on an assembly line?

Do they fell they have had a rewarding and fulfilling career snatched from them?

I say thank you china for do such s***ty work for such low wages so I don't have to.

Hilti makes amazing power tools. Smoothest grinder I've ever used. Is that an oxymoron? Made in Germany.

I have one hilti that's exactly the same as my boschs. when I mean exactly, I mean everything but the color of the housing.
I think they were made in switzerland :grinpimp:

Is there any manufacturer of power tools (angle grinder) that still makes their product somewhere other than China?

A recent hunt through Home Depot and Lowes shows: Dewalt, Milwaukee, Rigid, Makita, Skil, Black & Decker, Porter Cable, Ryobi, Hitachi, All China or Taiwan. With Bosch being the only stand out. (Malaysia)

I want to buy American and I can't. Pathetic.:mad:
I work for Ingersoll Rand and our G-Series Grinders (and many other tools) are manufactured in Southern Pines, NC. It is a pneumatic tool and we also manufacture garage sized air compressors for at home use. You can find a distributor on our website at http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/IS/Category.aspx-am_en-31039

I work for Ingersoll Rand and our G-Series Grinders (and many other tools) are manufactured in Southern Pines, NC. It is a pneumatic tool and we also manufacture garage sized air compressors for at home use. You can find a distributor on our website at http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/IS/Category.aspx-am_en-31039

Whoa IR in the house.
Show me an affordable home garage air compressor in the 5 hp made in the US and i'll give it serious consideration as i'm in the market.

I hadn't even given a thought to a pneumatic grinder. :hmm:

I think I would need some more air capacity for that though. Or at least move the thing where I didn't have to hear it:D

5hp/60gal keeps up okay with most stuff, but something like the blast cabinet shows its weakness. I'm thinking a long grind with an air tool would do the same.

Whoa IR in the house.
Show me an affordable home garage air compressor in the 5 hp made in the US and i'll give it serious consideration as i'm in the market.

You can't go wrong with the continuous duty 60 gallon model aimed at the home garage user, if that is enough for your needs. The prices jump when you get into 80 gallons. FREE SHIPPING — Ingersoll Rand Electric Stationary Air Compressor — 5 HP, 18.1 CFM @ 90 PSI, 230 Volt, Model# SS5L5 | 10 - 30 CFM | Northern Tool + Equipment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom